“Poor attitude and unhelpful”

The Earl of St Vincent
Ranked #33 of 68 Restaurants in Wadebridge
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Visited this pub last night (a Sunday) for dinner. On arrival at about 8.15pm, there was no one behind the bar, but after a couple of minutes, as we waited to order a drink, a lady appeared, looked at us and said in a harrassed tone "Are you looking for food, because if you are, we're fully booked". I was rather surprised, because although there were perhaps half a dozen tables occupied, there were plenty empty and only one had a 'reserved' tag on it.

We left feeling that our business simply wasn't wanted, and there were no helpful suggestions made as to where else we could try, which would have been the mark of good customer service. It seems from reading other reviews that being treated like this is not uncommon!!! Needless to say we won't be going back.

Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Very quaint village pub. Clocks everywhere! Not sure how the locals put up with the constant chiming. We were seated the Snug, just right for couples.

I had a sirloin steak which was cooked to perfection and well presented. Reasonable value too. A most pleasant evening. Would revisit when in the area again.

1  Thank Julian R
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We came to this pub restaurant based on a friends past experience. Our friends have dogs and we enquired whether we could bring them in and were told no. We have no problem with this as it is not uncommon.

It was a very cold wet day, the rain and cold had come suddenly and one of the dogs was very cold. I asked if they had an old towel we could use to dry the dog. We were told NO (she didn't even look or offer even a paper towel), the locals in the pub thought this was very funny and she encouraged this. My wife went back in and asked specifically do you have any paper napkins? She opened a draw stacked full of paper towels and gave my wife one of the top. This also created great amusement.

Outside at the tables there was overhead heaters, I tried to switch these on and they didn't work. I went back into the bar and asked if we could switch them on and she replied "no, they are broke. You are not having a lot of luck are you" again too much amusement around the bar.

My wife was also poked fun of for being wet!

This is the rudest pub I have ever been to. It is chronically unfriendly and visitors are obviously not welcome.

One of the locals (not a regular) came out and said they were appaled by the behaviour and pointed us at another extablishment which I will write a review for.

4  Thank Gerard K
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Didn't even make it from the porch to the front door when a very rude lady came straight up to us no hello or good afternoon. Just she's welcome (my baby) but the pushchairs not! I asked where shall we put it, to be told back in the car, we explained we had walked and so where should we put it. On the pavement we were told! Excuse me! The pub had 3 tables of people in and was very quiet. We wanted to sit outside anyway so wouldn't of been a problem. Disgusted. We ate anyway as had walked a good 20 minutes and no where else that side of town. Food average pub grub, glasses dirty. Will not return in a hurry.

4  Thank JPAY789
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I cannot remember how many times we have been with our friends to The excellent Earl of St Vincent but when we visit our friends in Redmoor we always visit, we have always been delighted with the meals that we have had, we decided against a starter the meals are all on the excellent value for money side so we did not wish to dull our appetites, Four steaks were ordered four steaks were consumed and all up to the very high standard that we have become used to. The result four clean plates not a chip, broccoli floret, mushroom or carrot remained on the plate. A brief interlude and sweets were chosen the sweets themselves are all I am sure delicious at least the ones that I have eaten, however trying to pacify me with fresh cream and ice cream good though it was does not take away my desire for custard, sorry folks they simply do not serve custard I have asked, pleaded and begged for custard and the answer is always a firm no. The lady that serves the drinks and serves the tables does a fab job and fortunately she has a good sense of humour and we always enjoy a little banter with her, we always leave and thank her for the lovely food. My suggestion is go try this lovely pub and enjoy the excellent food, oh! and if you enjoy clocks you will love this place. Give it a try we love it. :)