St. Moritz Hotel
Daymer House(Trebetherick)
  • Pool
Ballaminers House(Little Petherick)
1,005 results
All reviewscowshed spaoutdoor poolsea viewland roverbeach hutking roomart decoopen kitchengarden suiteboard gameshotel facilitiesself cateringbar menufamily hotelthe cliffchanging roomsdaymer bay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Whilst the staff were very friendly and helpful , I felt the restaurant let it down as it served the same menu for the three days we were there despite the website and the hotel book in the room stating that the menu was changed daily.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Vinnie152
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Booked a special early summer package which included two nights B&B, a bottle of champers and a three course meal in the restaurant for the bargain price of £300.

Having stayed at the hotel before, I think my expectations where better managed this time - on my first visit I was slightly disappointed that the hotel lacked any real heart to it and felt more like halls of residence. However putting this point aside, the staff were really attentive and polite.

We ate in the restaurant and honestly had the best desert ever (some chocolate desert that was full of surprises). The main courses are a little fancy for my liking, so don't be afraid to order from the bar menu instead (you have to ask but they are more than happy to oblige). Although the restaurant is open planned, it is still disappointing that its not in a better location that takes advantage of the grounds or sea views. Furthermore, it would be helpful if no pushchairs were allowed in the dining room. Its rather small and unfortunately some parents are rather rude and bash them into you/ place them in the way of the poor waiting staff.

The beds are to die for and have a mattress topper that you will just melt away in its so soft and comforting.

My only niggle is that the room did not have AC in it and they only provide you with one mini sized fan. I asked for another to try and get the air circulating but was told by house keeping that it was only 1 per room and that there were none spare. Also, knowing how hot the rooms can get I asked that prior to arrival our window in the room be left open - when we checked in it was firmly secure. A minor point but when you have asked and the hotel prides itself on customer service its a bit annoying.

If you are taking bikes down there, there are not specific secure storage facilities for cycles. Arriving at 2300 having driven for hours it was slightly annoying to find out we had been misinformed by the guest relations team. However, the female member of staff on duty that night went out of her way to help and arranged for them to be stored in Viv's shed!

Tip - if you want treatments then be sure to book them well in advance. We had a treatment and it was absolutely heavenly.

Final note - those who haven't stayed for a couple of years will recall that the walk to the beach/ coastal path was somewhat difficult. There is now a stone path, off of the private road, which links to the coastal path/ beach. As such, you can now take a buggy down there etc.

Room Tip: Even if you book a suite these won't necessarily have a sea view. For that, you need to book an apartment, which can be very expensive. Just manage your expectations accordingly. All other rooms are rear facing and look over the car park.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RC12345678
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed for five days in a suite with sea view. Hard to find any criticism at all but it's the staff who elevate it from very good to a great hotel. Everyone we met were exceptionally good, particularly with our six month-old daughter.

The St Moritz is family friendly but still has a classy, grown-up feel - it certainly wasn't overrun with kids as some reports have said, although we did stay outside of school holidays.

Food was excellent. The inclusive breakfasts were of a very good standard and dinner at the restaurant was great, albeit with a slightly limited choice. The Cowshed spa was very welcome although you need to book well in advance as it's open to the public and gets very booked up.

The first floor suite we stayed in was clean, roomy and well decorated, although ours (109a) was towards the end of the main block so shared its sea view with one of the car park which wasn't ideal. Unfortunately no alternative was available when we flagged this.

It had a great kitchen with every single utensil and appliance you'd ever need, while the bedroom was a good size with a large, very comfortable bed. The bathroom was a little small, but ok. Free, reasonably reliable WiFi made up for the lack of any phone signal too. And an allocated parking spot was a nice touch.

The location is of course superb. A few strides from the coastal path and stunning walks to Polzeath and beyond in one direction and Rock and Padstow in the other. Just stunning scenery and beaches.

Finally, the cost. Well, it's not at all cheap but neither do you feel you're being fleeced. You don't always get what you pay for, but at the St Moritz you do.

Negatives? Only a few very minor things (apart from the aforementioned view). The £15 meze plate we had via room service on the first evening we arrived was tiny. The televisions are small and as old as the hills - you can't connect any devices to them. And the free DVD library was very out of date. That's it!

We'll go back for sure. In fact we've already booked.

Room Tip: Avoid suites 110a and 109a if you can, unless you like car parks.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TheRichens2

Positives
We had a suite which was very large with a nice sized balcony.
Well stocked kitchen area.
Good food at Seaside pool bar and service good.
Friendly staff.

Negatives
Outside pool- whilst this is lovely, it is not large enough to service all the hotel/apartment guests-both in the size of the pool and the seating around it (and we were there off peak holiday season). On top of this it would appear that the hotel allow locals who are members to use the pool so people were turning up with kids after school. Whilst I appreciate this is probably a good source of income for the hotel I do not think that at the prices that they are charging their guests that this is practical nor fair given the size of the pool/pool area.
Noise levels- I don't know if we had particularly loud guests next door to us or if it's just the nature of this hotel/apartment set up but I would not suggest staying here if you are a couple with no kids and are after a peaceful stay in Cornwall. We found it unbearable to sit on our balcony in the evenings and enjoy the evening sunset as it sounded like we were next to a bar full of people and screaming kids.
Breakfast- not a great selection on the continental side but the cooked food was lovely.
Bed-our bed seemed a bit strange-like it was a camp bed made of lots of duvets stacked on top of each other. This made it incredibly warm to lie on-whilst nice in winter I should imagine, it was not pleasant in for us in the warmer weather.

To sum up. If you have kids then it may be worth the money but I would still argue that the pool isn't big enough. If you are a couple/single person and you holiday to get away from it all and get some peace and quiet then I would not recommend this place as it's basically a kids club.
It is worth noting that I have used tripadvisor religiously for about 5 years as a source to book my holidays but have never felt driven to write a review to date but I feel that the St Moritz website does not fully portray just how 'family friendly' this place is.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank K_pamphlett
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was not responsible for the booking, so am sure all had been explained, however I was very disappointed with a rear facing room overlooking a small parking area and what may have been staff accommodation. As someone who loves light and fresh air, I felt unable to open the curtains as others from the block opposite could look in, and had no immediate outside space to relax in without a hike around to the front of the building. We had a persistent noise problem with the room on the first night which meant no sleep, but was promptly handled by the reception team and fixed by a very helpful maintenance man the following day. Our welcome and check in was excellent, and we were shown to our room by a receptionist who explained everything we should know. Unfortunately we did not have time to use the spa facilities, but did use the outside pool which was lovely and warm from their own solar powered heating system. Small details lacking in the room - mirror was on the inside of the wardrobe door, which didn't open fully, so you had to move a chair to get a full length view, the TV was rather small for the room size, and couldn't open any of the fixed toiletries bottles without removing the dispensers. Im sure if the room had given me the wow factor non of the other things would matter, so suggest you make sure you get a room with a view.!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business