“HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!”
Review of The Old Ship Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Padstow
The Old Ship Hotel
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Padstow
Reviewed 14 March 2012

We stayed in The Old Ship Hotel on Monday of this week - our first time in this hotel having dropped into Padstow late in the afternoon and decided to stay over.
You really won't be disappointed - like another review we cannot believe the negative comments on here, we thought the place was fantastic. The rooms, although a little small were very clean and comfortable with all mod cons - we stayed in Room No 3. As this was a very quiet Monday evening there were not many people around and the hotel not busy but can see that as this room is over the main door it could be more noisy on a weekend.
Simon who checked us in and seemed to be waiter, porter, barman, many things was so polite and accommodating - it was very impressive and constantly asked if everything was ok - the hotel owners should be really pleased they have such a fantastic employee. After seeing the recommendations about food we tried it - very nice. Waiting and bar staff were very attentive and helpful - nothing too much trouble. We had the lobster special and beef medallions which was delicious although it seemed expensive however on looking at other menus in the town it seems that's the price generally so no complaints. The breakfast was excellent. Plenty of juice, coffee and toast and the full English was very good. As far is location is concerned you won't have a sea view as it's tucked behind in a small street but exactly 30 seconds walk around the corner brings you into the bustling harbour so location is good. All in all this was a great stay and we would recommend it highly. As a bonus they also have their own car park at the back of the hotel which is well signposted and will save you a fortune when you look at the prices of the harbour car parks. Thank you very much to all at The Old Ship Hotel for such a great stay. We would certainly return to you again if we come to Padstow!

Room Tip: Avoid room 3 if it's busy but we didn't hear anything as it was quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 March 2012

I have been going to Cornwall for many years and this hotel had been the best I have ever stayed at. The staff and food was top class and at such a good price. I book my next stay before I left the first.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 9 March 2012

This review is based primarily upon the food- we had a meal here in March 2012. Two courses and two mains which were very nice, but probably not quite up to the price when you consider what else is on offer nearby. Overall this pub could, I think, make a lot more of the food they offer, which is better than your average pub food, but seems like a bit of an afterthought here, despite the fact they clearly have quite a talented chef. My salmon special main was a huge piece of salmon en croute, served on a bed of new potatoes and olives. Sadly it was overpowowered by the olives and a bit of an excess of parsley - these tainted everything.My husband really enjoyed his main of sea bream though. The scallop and prawn starters were great. In summary- could do more to encourage folk in for food and improve the food just slightly.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Fantastic value for money, really friendly staff, great food and drinks, nice cozy rooms with clean modern en-suite shower rooms. I would definitely stay here again if I visit padstow in the future. Absolutely excellent.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank andyfg80
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We popped in here whilst staying nearby, it's a lot less expensive than the Rick Steins or the waterfront places but the menu was good and the atmosphere nice.

I had the devilled chicken livers, they were absolutely amazing! highly recommended, and my husband had a special seafood broth which was brimming with crab claws and shellfish... very very nice. The restaurant is defintely worth a try.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I know it's in Padstow but the pricing has spiralled out of control. We stayed here for years and always liked it but as the prices increased the room quality didn't and now we find it better value to stay in the Hotel on the hill.
It's a real pity because I love the pub. I hugely recommend this as a pub/restaurant but not as a hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010
2  Thank MJCOL
Reviewed 25 October 2011

(Review of food service not staying at hotel)
Just got back home from this pub and putting some logs on the fire as I type, to thaw out. The family and I went to this place last year but only after we'd eaten elsewhere. The food looked great so decided to go back this year but was left disappointed, not by the food, but by the lack of consideration to the customers inside. We arrived at the pub around 730pm and outside were about three to four customers that I saw, under numerous parasols, with several anti environmentally friendly electric infra red heaters, heating the chilly October air! Certainly costing more than your average light bulb.
The family and I seated ourselves at the back of the pub, by the pool table, having purchased some drinks. We had already commented amongst ourselves on how cold the pub was which is why we tried to sit as far away from the large front door as we could, as it had been wedged open. Since all other tables were occupied, we had no choice but to sit by the pool table, right opposite the open door which was about 25 feet away.
We ordered our food but after only 5 mins it became apparent just how cold the pub was. We were all sat in our coats and as I looked around so were most of the other 15-20 customers. There was no apparent heating in the pub, but then why would you do that with the front door wide open, Waste of money, yes. I asked a waitress if it was possible to have the door closed. She proceeded to fetch the manager. He told me that he wouldn't shut the door as the waitresses were serving customers outside. Fair comment, but I'm sure they could have asked for someone to open the door if their hands were full. He also told me that I had been the only one to complain and he left. Now, I'm not unreasonable but like you, when I go to a pub to spend my hard earned cash, it would be nice for it to be warmer than outside.
I had steak, it was nice while it was hot , but half way through, I had to send it back. Yeah you guest right, it went cold.
I've never been to a pub where the front door was left wide open during service and to one where they heat the outside and not the inside. The manager was less than understanding, not even offering an alternate seat away from the draught.
Nice food, but take your coat............

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank Joalluja
Also consider these accommodations in or near Padstow
Metropole Hotel
St. Moritz Hotel
St. Moritz Hotel
#1 of 4 in Wadebridge
The Longcross Hotel & Gardens

Been to The Old Ship Hotel? Share your experiences!