“AVOID AT ALL COSTS - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED”
Review of Little Pentyre

Little Pentyre
Little Pentyre
Ranked #54 of 55 Padstow B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I don't know what jennym for Knoxville, Tennessee is on; her review entitled 'Fabulous' is total fabrication; the previous four reviews provide an accurate description of this place - absolutely awful. I stayed here earlier this year with friends and found the place to be messy, smelly, and dirty; the kitchen was absolutely awful and the floor disgusting, not suprising as it led out to the lean-to where the 6 chickens, plus cat resided. Ugh...

In the bathroom a couple of old flannels hung over the sink and the remains of a bottle of intimate wash was found in the cupbard beneath the sink. The water heater above the sink was sloppily marked in felt tip indicating how to operate the unit.
The establishment seems to be 'run' entirely by Julian, who wandered outside after breakfast to smoke his pipe. My friend had problems closing his blinds and locking the door to the room and was also seriously disturbed by the state of the place.
And yes, the filty green plastic chairs are still outside...

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jenny B
There are newer reviews for Little Pentyre

Reviewed 18 May 2012

Little Pentyre could not have been a better B&B experience. The house is charming, Julian was very helpful without being intrusive, the room was very nicely furnished and the beds extremely comfortable. It is located right at the beginning of the Camel Trail and only a couple of hundred yards from the center of Padstow--an ideal location and with beautiful views. Breakfast was terrific, too. There was absolutely nothing to complain about and lots to enjoy. The cost was extremely reasonable. I will certainly go back when next in Padstow.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 October 2011

Have to agree with the other reviews. The owner Julian smelled of drink on arrival. The room was filthy and the bedding had not been changed since someone last slept in it. The "en suite" was literally knocked up from odd pieces of wood with a wooden sliding door with a see through glass window for the toilet. Looked more like an old lean to wooden shed from an allotment.
There were wires galore coming out of a big hole in the ceiling and the tv remote was disgusting.
There was a dirty smell throughout the property.
Needless to say we made our excuses and left. We ended up driving to the Premier Inn at Newquay.
Next day saw this place advertised in Padstow Tourist Information and told them of our experience and recommended they remove the ad as we wouldn't wish anyone to be sent there.
Also complained to the AA about the star rating of this place, Had to fight to get a reply from them on how they could justify the rating and requested they visit it themselves, only to be told it was my fault not theirs and I should have inspected it in the first place! Lesson learned there is to take no notice of AA star ratings whatsoever as they don't mean anything and the AA doesn't give a monkey's.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank DavidJane2009
Reviewed 17 September 2011

The views are great but it ends there. I would rather sleep on the filthy green plastic chairs in the front garden than to re-enter this B & B. The owner smelt heavily of drink upon arrival, I was showed to my very musty smelling room, passing the disgusting looking kitchen on the way. I am a guy so the decor was not of importance, but it must be clean, the bed linen wasn't, there were stains!. Some effort had taken place because rather than wash the bed linen they had all been sprayed with a air freshener, a really over powering one. One draw had some old hair grips, half used packet of paracetomol and a hair brush. It got better, in the shower room there were flannels resting over the top of the taps and a cloth body scrubber in the shower...yuk.
When I went out in the evening Julian was walking around in boxer shorts and still smelling of drink. The next morning I was woken at 05.30 to the sound of chickens getting fed and then someone going to the toilet, no sounds of any hand washing activity. I ventured into the dining room to find an open sugar bowl with the spoon well and truly stuck in it. The cereals were all mixed up and really gross. Then came the big fry up or grilled as Julian liked to refer to it. I couldn't eat it, the entire unclean experience was just too much. You need to avoid this place at all costs, it really is the pits.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
8  Thank pengl63
Reviewed 28 August 2010

On arrival the owner Julian opened the door to us drunk and he was wearing food stained clothes. He showed us to our room which was basic to say the least. The bed linen didn't look clean and the room smelt damp. We walked past the dining area and kitchen on the way to our room, both rooms were filthy! Fortunately we hadn't paid for the room in advance so we left as soon as possible.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
14  Thank TheFlarts1
Reviewed 4 June 2010

We stayed at Litte Pentyre back in March as a stopover on our coastal path walk.

The furniture in the bedroom was mismatched and reminiscent of a bedsitter. The meagre supplies of tea and coffee must have been the cheapest money could buy it was awful.

The bedding was also mismatched and didn't smell clean. The ensuite bathroom was just a cubicle built into the room, I've never seen so much sealant around a shower tray in my life! It was very small just enough room to manouever, the heated towel rail only worked in the top right hand corner which was so hot I almost burnt my hand on it while the rest was cold. The towels were thin and hard.

Julian the owner keeps chickens in the garden which I thought was quite nice until the next morning on making our way to the dining room we noticed the chicken messing on the ktichen floor whilst our breakfast was being prepared.

Breakfast was not a nice experience, the cereals were supermarket own brands, everything seems to be done on the cheap. The cooked breakfast had a hair in it and the sauce bottle tops were covered in grime. The ornaments in the dining room were covered in dust and it all looked as though it needed a good clean. We didn't eat our cooked breakfast, it just didn't look very wholesome and the general lack of cleanliness put us off.

Julian was very quick to tell us that his rooms are full most of the year and what a good earner it was. His B&B was the most expensive place we stayed that weekend and the worst. The only good thing was the location but I wouldn't recommend staying there just for that.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple