“Traditional pub with a good atmosphere.”
Review of The London Inn

The London Inn
Ranked #52 of 55 Padstow B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 September 2013

My family and I stayed there for one night whilst on our holiday in cornwall. It is a nice traditional pub in the heart of Padstow. The pub itself it very traditionally decorated and the service was decent. We were planning on having a meal on the evening but we sat down, looked at the menu and were a bit disappointed because there was very little choice. The menu was, in truth, quite boring so we decided to go elsewhere. We did, however, have breakfast there the morning we left and it wasn't great. If you like a traditional pub full English then you'd probably quite enjoy it but I felt it was just average. It had everything you'd want in you full English but it was pretty bland and tasteless. My advice to them on the food front is really just to spice up the menu a bit. The accommodation, on the other hand, was very good. When we got there they told us that the rooms has been recently refurbished and they were great. The decor was very nice, inspired by the location. The furniture was homely and comfortable; I felt warm and safe. I was impressed by the rooms and it made the stay a lot more pleasant. There was a downside though, the door to the hall way which lead to our rooms had no lock. we were a bit worried about this to begin with but the doors to the separate rooms did have locks themselves so this was more reassuring. Overall the accommodation was great, but the food needs work. It was good traditional pub in a great location.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank George F

Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

My hubby liked this pub I guess because it is in the tradional style & it is dog friendly which is is bonus. We went in about 5 times while on holiday as it was close to our cottage so I'm not judging this on one visit. I personally did not like the staff at all, to put it frankly they don't like tourists, are surly, unfriendly & hungover!

The drinks were always good & hubby tried a few local beers which he enjoyed. We would defiantly not have eaten here due to the poor hygiene as the toilets were never clean no matter what day or time we visited.

This is defiantly where the locals drink, all of whom were foul mouthed, loud, vulgar & not suitable to be in a child friendly area! I do not believe pubs are a suitable place for children but one couple had to leave mainly due to two middle aged local men who should have known better!

One lady staff member was friendly but there is only so much one person can do. I would like to point out to all the staff here that people like me a mire tourist are keeping you open because what we spend between June, July & August will keep you afloat in Jan, Feb & March. Food for thought!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank pinkbunnytail
Reviewed 30 August 2013

The London inn is one of your traditional family run pubs. The landlord Tim was born and bred in Padstow so has a strong local following. The food is excellent and having stayed there for several nights I can highly recommend the cosy atmosphere. Breakfast was great and the menu diverse enough to cater for individual tastes. We thoroughly enjoyed the evening of folk music too.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank susiewoosie2013
Reviewed 26 August 2013

What a find, a traditional pub that served home made food and has a well kept cellar. A pleasure to visit and we noticed a number of people returning to sample the varied menu and I can see why. Nice to see a local business fitting into a niche that has not been 'Steined'.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 6amigos_11
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Arrived with my family at 11.30, and tried to order a drink. There were 2 other people in at this time.
The Bartender / Landlord was trying to teach the barmaid how to use the till, and basically ignored us.
We did however eventually get our drinks.
I attempted to order food at 11.50, to be told "we don't serve till 12".
I asked if I could order, to be told "you can order in 10 minutes".

Surly, unhelpful staff.

Needless to say, we walked elsewhere, and will not return to this place. We will however recommend it to all our friends and family, in case they're bored of the delightful and friendly places around Padstow.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Michael F
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Very slow service. The barmen looked hungover and couldn't be bothered.! You would expect a salad garnish with the overpriced sandwiches to make up for the poor quality. The chips were clearly cooked in oil that hadn't been changed in a while.

Very disappointing and I'm a local !! Will not recommend this place to anyone !

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Shazp2013
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We have just returned from Padstow after two week stay in a cottage that we rented so we ate out a lot in that time and tried lots of different places. The London Inn had a great range of cask ales which my husband was very pleased about, the staff are very polite and helpful especially Tim the landlord nothing was too much for him. The food was fantastic and we thought value for money it was also another class against other pubs that we ate in. My trio of fish was really tasty, I also had the calamari which was just like you would get in a taverna in Greece. My husband really enjoyed the lasagna which he said was the best he has ever had. So if you want to have a great choice of ales and food go and see Tim and his staff they will definitely look after you.

Room Tip: We did not stay at the London Inn but we went in there several times to eat.