“Weekend break”
Review of Metropole Hotel

Metropole Hotel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Padstow
Reviewed 21 January 2014

This was our 5th visit. We always book when there is a good offer. Yet again it was brilliant! Our room was very comfortable and the bathroom was very new and spacious. As to the food - fantastic!! We couldn't fault our stay here. The staff, as always, we're excellent. We will be back!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Melissa H, General Manager at Metropole Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear catrose2302,

Thank you for taking the time to write your lovely review. I am so pleased we were able to look after you once again.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon for your 6th stay!

Many thanks

There are newer reviews for Metropole Hotel

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Stayed three nights recently on a winter break. We try to get to the Metropole at least once a year. Twice if we can. On arrival we were greeted at the newly refurbished reception by smiles and helpfulness. Although we had been allocated a room we were offered an upgrade and to view several rooms before we made a decision. In fact we chose our allocated room which was of a very high standard. An enormous bed and loads of cupboards. Comfy chairs and the bathroom again excellent with a walk in shower as well as a bath. Breakfast and dinner exactly what we have come to expect. Wonderful. Reluctant to leave but we will be back! Thank you to all the staff for again making our stay memorable.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We initially visited the hotel in 2010 and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The staff were very attentive and welcoming. It was my Mother and daughter who visited and were made to feel very safe and at home. However, when we visited again in August 2013, we couldn't believe the change - we felt as though we were in a 2 star establishment. The reception staff were very abrupt and extremely un-helpful, a ten year old could do a better job. We are aware that there was a change in managment and it was very obvious (let us know where the old manager went so we can experience his managment again!) . Even when we visit the website of the hotel, the blog doesn't seem to be updated as regularly as when the previous manager was in-situe.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear Jacqueline D,

I am so shocked to read your review of which I read with genuine upset and alarm. Having been at the hotel for over 10 years, I have only witnessed the ongoing improvements so I am so sorry to hear of your disappointment back in August last year. I do hope you will please email me so I may investigate and attempt to reinstill your faith in our hotel which is cherished by so many. melissa.harris@richardsonhotels.co.uk

Kind regards

Reviewed 15 January 2014

We booked the best room in the hotel and for the price point was good value. The room was good but the bathroom a was a little tired, clean but outdated. The service from the staff was excellent and the only meal we had were breakfast which was excellent both mornings. The menu looked interesting but we were eating in some of the more renowned pales in Padstow. (Not Steins).

In summary it wasn't a bad experience but next time I will pay a little more for something a bit more boutique.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Staff all very nice both in reception and in restaurant. Food (dinner) was v. good. Problem is that Hotel looking it's age. We had an offer & then upgraded on arrival. Even so, very clear that bathroom new but room last decorated about 1970 ! Faulty window had slipped open but after some DIY room heated up to temp. eventually. Very clear that if you book this hotel at less than full price & get lucky/make a fuss to get right room Hotel can be a nice experience as it was for us. Full price & wrong room & chef's day off then can also fully understand the low ratings given by some.

Room Tip: Big gap between view & non view rooms so pay the extra.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here last week while working in Cornwall. I did not enjoy my stay, the bed was on a slope which meant I had no sleep. There was a musky smell in the room and a constant noise which was coming from the air conditioning. I was away with work and after a long day wanted a comfortable room to come back to. This was not comfortable, I'm just glad that My company paid for it instead of me. The breakfast however was fantastic, it's a shame that the rooms aren't as good as their food.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for two nights at the beginning of January together with our friends who had very kindly arranged the weekend away for my husbands birthday. We arrived on a wet and windy miserable evening to be greeted by the open fire and cheerful young lady on reception and already I was sold, first impressions really do count! After checking in to our very acceptable room ( clean, well equipped and warm) and unwinding with a drink we dined in the restaurant which has a wonderful panoramic view of Padstows estuary and harbour. We could not fault the varied menu, food or service in any way at all it was all perfect and as residents of Cornwall/Devon it was also really nice to be able to order a delicious wine from the drinks menu supplied by the award winning Camel Valley Vineyard. Breakfast was again of a high standard comprising of a large selection catering for everybody. As we were so full from our breakfast banquet we did not feel the need for lunch however we did stop for a cup of coffee and a very delicious and somewhat large slice of cake from the Cherry Trees Cafe which we would highly recomend a visit to. My friend and I also enjoyed a massage which was very relaxing and well worth treating yourself to. From start to finish of our short but very welcome break I could not fault a thing and all this for £99 per couple a night! Exceptional value, hotel and staff. Thank you all so much for making our stay so perfect..........will be back.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Padstow
Treglos Hotel
The Fowey Hotel
#3 of 3 in Fowey
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
The St Enodoc Hotel

Been to Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!