“Dissapointed and Tired from lack of sleep”
Review of Metropole Hotel

Metropole Hotel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Padstow
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
“Dissapointed and Tired from lack of sleep”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Through a mess up with my booking, my Wife and I were given room 43. in the eves. room size OK, very hot and stuffy, with original wooden sash windows, which rattled and difficult to open, window glass needed cleaning. On the ledge outside are Seagulls sitting on a Nest, every time we went near the window they made that terrible screech and also during the early hours of the morning waking us up. There is also a constant drone 24hrs a day which disturbed our sleep.Food generally very poor, and badly cooked, my full breakfast of egg,bacon,sausage, etc all over cooked dry and chewy, next day I tried scrambled egg, terrible just a yellow mass of watery slop. so tried poached egg cooked OK. Dinner over priced few choices no vegetables not good. overall I would give this hotel a 2-* and change the cook.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rowile
Melissa H, General Manager at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear rowile,

Thank you for review. I do apologise that you felt your recent stay was so disappointing and I am sorry you left us feeling like this.

I am unsure by what you mention as a ‘mess up’ with your booking but room 43, which is on the top floor has recently been decorated and does benefit from fantastic views but had you not been comfortable we would have been more than happy to have moved you to an alternative room.

I am especially sorry to read that you didn’t enjoy the food and found it over priced. Many of our comments we receive praise the chefs, even the review that follows yours comments on how reasonable and good the food is, although I appreciate guests have different expectations and tastes, I am just sorry that your experience here wasn’t a better one.

Should you wish to discuss anything then I would be more than happy for you to contact me at the hotel.

Melissa Harris

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
Fleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We have visited Padstow many times and stayed in many places, but never the Metropole. I have just spent a great weekend on a romantic break deal staying here and it was lovely!! We had a fab room (The Heligan Suite 109) with French doors to the garden and a sea view.Yes the decor is a little tired but the food, and service was excellent. Champagne to the room upon arrival was particularly enjoyable (part of the weekend deal) and from the great full English breakfast to the delicious fish dishes on the menu, and lovely deserts it cannot be faulted. We will definitely visit again!!

Room Tip: Choose a ground floor suite the rooms are enormous as is the bed!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Melissa H, General Manager at Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Sally-Anne R,

Thank you so much for your review of the Metropole. I'm so pleased that your first stay here was so enjoyable.

I do hope that it wont be too long until we can welcome you back!

Many thanks and kind regards

england
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Just came back from weekend at metropole hotel in padstow, hotel was very clean and staff were very polite and very friendly, views from hotel were beautiful. Room was very clean and really nice, would definitly go back again.

Room Tip: I had standard room which was a big room, but you can upgrade.
Dear endlandjessie,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted you had a great stay with us. We are in such a fantastic position to enjoy the wonderful views across to Rock and up the Camel Estuary. I hope it wont be too long until you're back to visit again!

hampshire, uk
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We got married here in April 2013 and decided to return to celebrate our 1st anniversary. We had a great stay and would definitely return again. The food was amazing again and there were different choices on the 2 nights. Very efficient, polite and friendly staff. great view from modern, spacious bedroom. The hotel was just as perfect as we remembered from our wedding.

Dear suz275,

Thank you so much for your lovely review.

It was pleasure to have you back for your first wedding anniversary and I'm delighted it was as good as your special day.

The staff are such an asset to us and work incredibly hard to ensure that all are guest are made to feel welcome and at home.

I hope we can welcome you back for your second anniversary!

Many thanks

Dorset
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I stayed at the Metropole for two nights with a group of friends as we were doing a one day cookery class at the Padstow Seafood School. We were met on arrival by two very friendly staff at the reception desk, our rooms were good and we had fantastic views over the harbour and estuary as the Metropole is in an elevated position.

Great breakfast in the morning, I would definitely recommend the Metropole!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Sichal,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Im so pleased that you and your friends had a great stay with us and thank you for recommending us.

I will have great pleasure in passing on your thanks to all the teams here at the hotel.

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I had pr-booked Easter Sunday. Lunch at the Metropole for my wife's 60th birthday for 10 of us including 2 children. We were not disappointed the staff were very friendly and the food was excellent there was also a children's menu which went down well. The view from the restaurant was beautiful and there was also live music as well which was also very good. Since returning home from our short break in Cornwall and our meal at the Metropole each adult member of our family that attended has e-mailed me to thank me for the lunch and to say that the food was excellent and the restaurant with view was first class. So that leaves me to say a very big Thank-you to all the staff at the Metropole for helping to make my wife's day a special memory.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear ISCA13,

Thank you so much for your lovely review.

I am delighted we were able to look after you and friends and make your wife's birthday so special. I will be delighted to pass on your thanks to all the teams and we hope to see you again soon.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

The dining room is very pleasant with lovely views over the estuary. The staff are friendly and the service is good. We had the set menu and found the food to be excellent and very good value for money considering what you can pay in other restaurants in Padstow. The atmosphere is somewhat staid. This hotel is in an excellent spot and would be worth modernising in such a way as to not lose its character. If management want some ideas have a look at what they have done with the Godolphin Arms in Marazion near Penzance.

1 Thank Pernicketyann
Also consider these accommodations in or near Padstow
Treglos Hotel
Bedruthan Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Mawgan Porth
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,135 reviews
The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate

Been to Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!