Rick Stein's St Edmunds House
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Padstow
See available hotels
  • Pool
Daymer House(Trebetherick)
Ballaminers House(Little Petherick)
St. Moritz Hotel(Wadebridge)
View Hotel
All reviewsrick steinthe ground floorprivate parkingfrench windowsbeautiful roomespresso machinewalk in wardrobeterrace overlookinglarge bathroomamazing bathroomchecking outspecial treatcomfortable bedmetropole hoteltwo nightsminutes walk awaya real home from home
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed at St Edmunds House at the end of September as part of our honeymoon gastro-roadtrip. We've always liked Rick Stein’s TV shows and I have a couple of his books which are great, so we thought it would be nice to spend a night in Padstow and eat at his Seafood restaurant as were in that part of the country. We booked to stay a night at St Edmunds and dinner at the Seafood Restaurant.

Let’s make this crystal clear for everyone, this arrangement is a B&B setup. Whilst the room was well appointed, it had a raised bed area with a small seating area by the windows, 1 other small seating area ,TV, minibar fridge, a nice bathroom containing a bath and separate shower etc., the price is very nearly £300 a night. There are no facilities on site (apart from limited parking), the building is purely 6 bedrooms. Breakfast is an outside walk & served in the Seafood restaurant round the corner where you also have to check in and check out. So this is hotel prices for a B&B arrangement.

Whilst dinner was enjoyable enough (though expensive for a pretty average meal), I couldn’t help feeling slightly fleeced after the whole experience. My wife and I are lucky enough to have eaten in and stayed at some fantastic places over the years (two 2 Michelin * restaurants on this trip alone). To pay £300 for a B&B room is rather over the top bearing in mind that you can say in a massive room at The Scarlet Hotel not far away with all the facilities and amenities a hotel can offer (and an awesome view and nice restaurant) for less. I was obviously aware of the price in advanced however it still erked me when I checked out as I had higher expectations and felt we were paying an overly large premium for Rick's name.

Additionally the next morning my wife was using the in-room provided hair-dryer when there was a massive bang and a large flame shot out of the side of the hair-dryer and a cloud of black smoke enveloped her. She was too shocked to say anything at first and I thought she’d been electrocuted. The fuse obviously blew as there was suddenly no power to the room. Luckily there was only a black scorch mark on her arm and some shock. However we couldn’t get hold of anyone to inform via phone as it was pre-8am (half 7ish) and no one was picking up the phone in the restaurant or on any of the other numbers provided in the information. Luckily we found a cleaning lady in the house who called an electrician. We then went down for breakfast and informed the reception lady who after some time and interruptions to our breakfast got a first-aider to check my wife. Checkout is listed as 10am in the literature in the room, so we rushed breakfast, packed and paid up. There was no apology from management (only from the nice reception lady), however the offending hairdryer had been replaced immediately (and electricity restored) whilst we were at breakfast.

For this sort of money things need to be excellent and they just aren’t.

I did received an email from the business but only in a response to my completed comment card that I returned via post. This was more backside-covering than apologetic and apparently checkout is 11:00 not 10:00 as printed in the “in-room” literature. My follow up email to correct was ignored.

My advice to anyone thinking of staying at St Edmunds is to not bother unless you really don't mind paying £300+ for a room. Either stay somewhere else and eat at Paul Ainsworth’s Number 6 round the corner which has a Michelin star and is more reasonably priced (shut on a Monday when we were staying), or travel 10 minutes over the bay to Rock, stay at St Enodoc Hotel and have dinner at Nathan Outlaw’s 2 Michelin * fish restaurant in the hotel. Here you’ll have an exceptional meal and be able to stay in a hotel with everything under one roof. Way better value for money and a far more enjoyable experience.

To finish off I would just say that we’re very happy to pay the money for good food, service and rooms, and we do a lot, but out of the 4 places we stayed at in Devon & Cornwall this was the least value for money and the least enjoyable. That includes Gidleigh Park, The Scarlet and St Enodoc.

Room Tip: Take an umbrella as the restaurant \ bar \ check-in check-out is an outside walk to the nearby Seafood Restaurant.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Alastair C
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Stayed for 4 nights earlier this month and really enjoyed Padstow. St Edmunds is ideally located, has parking with well appointed rooms. Our Tregirls room was perfect being on the ground floor with front French doors opening onto the lawn area. Daily breakfast is in the Seafood Restaurant and was really good. Before arrival we booked dinner at the Seafood Restaurant, St Petrocs Bistro and Rick Steins Cafe? Very pleased we did so as they were all fully booked. So make sure you book ahead so save disappointment. The only disappointment was St Petrocs! A steak that was so chewy it was inedible. I could not eat it, told the waiter and he mentioned that I was not the only person to complain about the steak. Should have stuck with the fish! Apart from the steak, a delightful stay and well done Rick Stein.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

My wife took me here for my birthday and it was also our first night away from our two boys since the eldest arrived in 2007! What a treat! Beautiful room (Polzeath) and fantastic location in Padstow. Absolutely brilliant time and the breakfast at the nearby Seafood Restaurant which was included in the cost was superb

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 2 August 2013

With lots of anticipation I stayed at Prospect House in Padstow for one night with my elderly father. Had heard so much in advance and the reality of Rick Stein's Padstow was even better than imagined. It is like landing in a jigsaw puzzle and all so exquisite and full of atmosphere, with every member of staff dong their utmost to make our stay very memorable. Jack the Porter couldn't have done more to assist upon arrival. We had a beautiful meal in The Seafood Restaurant, and I made use of the complimentary bike to cycle to Wadebridge on a sunny morning before departing. The only negative is that it is a pity they could not provide twin bed accommodation and accessible bathroom option for us.

Room Tip: It's quite challenging to find St Petroc's reception for the various hotels on offer, so suggest parking on arrival near harbour and getting directions from Info Centre.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed in St Edmunds House this weekend and can find no faults what's so ever. The room was spacious and very comfortable. The bathroom up the little staircase was great with a deep tub to soak all those aches away and a powerful shower to wake you up in the morning! There's a very short stroll down to breakfast at the Seafood Restaurant with the choice of locally sourced food plentiful and of exceptional quality. We hired bikes from the restaurant and cycled along the Camel Trail to Wadebridge which was great fun. We ate at St Petrocs & The Seafood Restaurant, both fantastic with great food and staff. All in all a wonderful time, and although not cheap, if you're looking for something special I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: June 2013