Dennis Cove Campsite
Treglos Hotel(Constantine Bay)(Great Value!)
US$184
St. Moritz Hotel(Wadebridge)
US$160
US$156
  • Restaurant
All reviewscamel trailsmall siteminute walkpassing placeslocal breweryaccess roadtoilets showerswater taptoilet blockfacilities are greatwalking distanceperfect locationmotor homewashing facilitiesclean sitepadstow harbourfantastic site
Reviewed 1 June 2011

We wanted a short stay somewhere for our wedding anniversary and thought it would be fun to camp. Found Dennis Cove online and having cycled the Camel trail often, knew roughly where it was. We had a very large pitch for our tent and the shower block and toilets etc were very clean although quite basic. People have commented on paying 40p for a shower, but hey ho, i thought it was reasonable. There is a chemical disposal point, sinks etc for washing utensils, and a free hot water point. There are also two drinking water taps and the bottom of the field. The site itself isn't too big and the location is just great. I timed our walk back from Padstow, and a brisk walk is exactly ten minutes. A torch would be useful if it's dark as you have to walk around a small lake and the path isn't that wide at one point. Padstow itself was very busy so if you want to eat in a good restaraunt book well ahead. We cycled to Wadebridge from the campsite (5 miles) had a nice lunch etc. The trail is flat and the views unparalled. I timed our return and we did it in about 45mins (we did have a few beers in the pub beforehand so that might have slowed us down!!) Tesco's is right at the top of the ascent to the campsite so you can purchase all your provisions there. One word of warning the lane going downhill to the campsite is quite narrow so if you have a caravan/mobile home beware, there weren't many passing places.

We really enjoyed Dennis Cove and will return.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank berniev
Reviewed 12 October 2010

My husband and I stayed at this campsite in mid-September 2010 for a long weekend away. We loved the site with its large pitches, and great views of the Camel Estuary. Best of all is its easy location into Padstow - about a 10/15 minute walk along the Camel Trail. The campsite owner could not be more accomodating. We'd come slightly unprepared without any charcoal for a bbq, so he gave us some of his own free of charge. The showers compared to some of the other sites I've stayed on were great. I would recommend cycling along the Camel Trail to the vineyard which was a really lovely day out. All in all- a great place for a camping trip.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2010

Just returned from a 3 Night stay over the bank holiday weekend with some friends and children. Spotlessly clean site even the pitches as well as showers and toilets. We tried to book an extra night as didnt want to leave but our pitch was already booked out which having stayed there we can see why. A lovely 15 minute walk into the centre of Padstow but you need a torch if returning after dark as my husband found out when he fell down the steps by the lake returning to camp on our first evening not equiped with torches! Our only problem was tring to keep our excitable children quiet after dark as havin 2 nine and 2 twelve yrs olds in our group they wernt wantin to go to bed early. All in all a lovely site and we will definatly be returning next yr.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 August 2010

Ok, so maybe I should start by saying that I do not really like camping, but I can cope with it for a couple of nights, possibly 3 at the most!
So, Dennis Cove Camping - it's an ideal location for Padstow (which I love!), it is only a 10 minute walk (and an easy 10 minutes too - no huffing and puffing up giant hills!). It is pretty much directly on the edge on the Camel Trail, which goes from Padstow to Bodmin.
The camping - the pitch we had was massive!! We booked it only a few days before we got there - it was a cancellation, which is only reason we got it last minute, so, I don't know whether we would have been allocated a pitch that big with our little 3 man tent! The other pitches seemed to be of a generous size though.
The site looks well maintained, and it is mainly used by families.
The facilities - now, as I don't 'do' camping, we don't use the washing up facilities or the laundry room, so I can't comment on that. But I did use the toilets and the showers. Now, I feel that this was somewhat of a disappointment. It basically feels like a cow shed that has been given a lick of white paint. The toilet cubicles are quite small, and the walls are not overly high (I'd guess they are about 5ft8 high), which doesn't exactly give you the feeling of privacy when you want it! The showers are fine, don't expect a power shower, and the token machine (40p for 5 minutes) is outside the cubicle! So, you have to get ready for the shower (ie. get undressed and wrap a towel around you), then pop out of the cubicle to put your token in! I found this a bit odd!! There were only 2 showers in the female block, and I think 3 separate showers outside, and a family shower.
The thing I found slightly strange was, that nothing opened (the reception, or the Bap Shack) opened until 9am, and when camping, I always find that you are up and awake a lot earlier than normal! So you need to be organised and buy your shower tokens the night before!! (you can buy them in bulk if you want to!)
There is a Tesco's up the road, so we went there to get our breakfast sorted!
Our pitch was fairly close to the toilet block, which was good, as some of the pitches were quite a long way from it, and if you needed the loo in the night, you would have to run!!!
So - a great location, but I feel that they are playing this to their advantage more than the actual camp site standing out. Saying that, I would most likely go there again, because I like Padstow!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bexindevon
Reviewed 28 June 2010

the campsite was perfectly placed for the 10 min walk into padstow however simon the owner was most put out with our late night chats and drinking with our friends and made it very clear that this was not what he wanted however we were in our awnings and no body else had made any complaints and why put us next to the tap with a large very friendly dog whom everybody warmed to but was made to feel that the dog would scare people of come on simon if you wish to have people coming back time after time be more flexible and you should also tell people about the exit and entrance to the site a nightmare for caravans of any size

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends