“Stunning food”

Chatham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Stunning food”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Me and my partner had lunch thursday 15th May, what more is there to say, stunning from start to finish looked after like royalty, special thanks to front of house and kitchen for our tour. Gordon and Kim

1 Thank Kim W

Coventry, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We had a truly superb meal here. Starters were fabulous. We had pickled duck and Cornish crubeens. With regard to the mains I was slightly dubious about pork served pink but went for it and did not regret it. The whirl of cracking was excellent. My wife had "our first dish" which is a caramelised shallot and blue cheese tart - delicious. We were too full to try the "trip to the fairground" desert for two which won the 2011 Great British Menu but we saw a couple of other diners having it. I had trifle which was superb and my wife had banana with cocoa slice and peanut pastry which was also fabulous. Great ambience, not overly formal for a fine dining experience and attentive and friendly service. A winner all round.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Truly Outstanding Food”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Paul Ainsworth’s restaurant in the centre of Padstow is a culinary delight and given the competition from Rick Stein’s empire, all the more impressive.

My wife and I had lunch here on a Friday over the May bank holiday weekend. What was a double fronted house in a small street has been transformed into a stylish restaurant and the style does not stop with the décor.

Sourdough bread and hand patted butter arrived at the table and very tasty it was too. We had to make a real effort not to fill up on bread. At first sight the menu looks fairly run of the mill – oysters, smoked haddock, mackerel to start, cod, pork and lamb for main course, but when it is delivered to the table, prepare to be amazed. We had Porthilly oysters to start served three ways, natural , escabeche, crisp, absolutely delicious. Then I had cod and my wife had saddle back pork. The cod was so succulent and very fresh and came with little leeks, port Isaac crab, oyster and fenugreek. What beautiful flavours and so well prepared. The pork came pink and rolled plus another small piece which had been cooked differently. It was served with lardo lettuce, crackling, scallop and an orchard sauce made from green apples. But what is worthy of extra special praise is the crackling which had been made into a pin wheel. How they did that I do not know. Outstanding cooking and outstanding flavours. We had a bottle of Viognier which tasted great to wash it all down.

We are not great dessert eaters and in any case had no more room. But we did see the trademark Trip to the Fairground made famous on the Great British Menu TV programme. Several other diners decided to try this.

Service is friendly and efficient with attention to detail. Our bill came to £113 including wine and water. We would certainly recommend a visit to this restaurant and you can be sure of truly fantastic food.

Hexham
“Superb”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This is a fine dining restaurant , everything from start to finish was excellent, but not pretentious. If you like lamb the lamb cooked in hay is absolutely delicious, and a must. It is also served in a slightly unusual way! We were very well looked after by the friendly and charming staff. Overall an exceptional experience .

Worcester, United Kingdom
“Not the special meal we planned”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I was looking forward to a treat as it was a second visit, but I was so disappointed by the menu, nothing really excited me, though the food I had was excellent quality. However I thought it overpriced. The glass of rose wine I had didn't taste at all special for £9 a glass. Next time we visit Padstow we shall give No 6 a miss.