“Superb!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ashwater
Blagdon Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ashwater
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Just arrived back from a holiday at Blagdon Manor that we were very lucky to win! Had thought many times of going here as we have dogs (3 now) but thought it was a little far from the coast as the dogs love the beach, but we were wrong. A pleasant drive and we had the pick of many dog friendly beaches. Liz was there to welcome us when we arrived and showed us to our room which was just simply 'wow'. We were given the Larkworthy suite which was just superb plenty of room for us, 3 dogs and our teenage son. I could talk for hours how wonderful this room was but pretty sure most has been already covered by the previous posts. The food was divine Steve is a magician in the kitchen don't think anyone could fault what your given, oh maybe the fact we ate so much I couldn't eat my dessert the last night which broke my heart as his chocolate mousse is to die for!! My husband was really looking forward to Steve's porridge and he wasn't disappointed, in fact wouldn't shut up about it lol. The dogs had a wonderful time too, from all the goodies already in the room for them, to the long walks in the wonderful gardens at Blagdon. For anyone with dogs who wants to treat themselves to an amazing break away this is the place to go. We extended our 2 night win which I would like to thank Liz and Steve for and stayed for 3 but could have easily stayed for a week. Thank you again to Liz, Steve and all the staff for a wonderful holiday, we hope to come back soon.

Room Tip: Think all the rooms are of a very high standard, ours, the Larksworthy was a 2 roomed suite which wa...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 August 2013

My husband & I have just returned from a lovely one night stay at Blagdon Manor Hotel, we were in the area for a wedding so just stayed for one night bed & breakfast. Steve & Liz went out of their way to help us with the logistics of getting to and from the wedding venue. The room was beautiful with a wonderfully comfortable bed and the bathroom was modern and spotless. The breakfast was fantastic, really great food perfectly cooked and friendly service. We definitely recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2013

This was our third visit and every bit as relaxing and enjoyable ,all the guests we spoke to during our three days had stayed at Blagdon before ,the dogs all have a lovely time together too. The food is truly special and never fails to have that surprise element. It is the very best in fine dining and is the highest standard of food, of all the places we eat and stay.The staff are lovely and every request is handled calmly and without fuss ,from amazing afternoon tea in the beautiful gardens to remembering that you don't like butter on your cooked breakfast toast. Ask for something once and it will be remembered ,that's service at its very best. The rooms are beautifully decorated and every comfort provided, from doggie treats to sherry Visit this place once and I know you will return again and again as your hosts Liz and Steve will make your visit one to remember.

Room Tip: All rooms are beautifully furnished and have an individual quality ,we like to stay in Clawton ,as i...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We have been visiting this hotel once or twice a year for well over ten years now and are so impressed with the Cuisine that we have arranged First Growth and Cote Rotie dinners where with some selected guests and have virtually taken over the hotel. We visited again on the 13th of July and found it to be an Oasis of tranquillity. The room was spotless and the restaurant produced some excellent food. My wife and I both had the Guinea Fowl which was perfectly cooked. There is nothing ostentatious about this rural retreat and we shall return soon.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Richard V
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I'm one of those people that, having experienced excellence, I expect it again......or better.
This is most certainly the case with Blagdon Manor.
I suppose first visit, it's a bit 'ooooh' and 'aaaahhhh'. Subsequently, it's that feeling of comfort, of sort of taking each other for granted, but of course with mutual respect.
This second visit a few weeks ago was very much that.
We expected it as good as the first, but it was in fact better. Room, location, weather, dogs, Steve & Liz, pretty much the same, but the food was better. I think Steve is secretly aiming for a Michelin star, but he denies it! My only concern is that fine dining would be a waste on my lousy palate!
We were helped by the fact that the weather was excellent for our three days. It had been rubbish, and was due to get bad again, literally the day after we left, so most fortunate there.
Steve & Liz have re-invested in the fittings and furniture in the dining room. To say their standards are high, is the biggest understatement. We could see nothing wrong with the old ones, so unless they developed severe woodworm in the few months since our last visit........
Overall, just a magical place, and will stay on our annual 'to do' list.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark&SandraHammond
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Recently had a most enjoyable three night stay in this very well run country hotel set in spacious grounds. The owners Liz and Steve are masters of hospitality and their professionalism is reflected in the attitude of the small team. The meals were excellent and it was very kind of Steve to prepare special sweets to suit my dietary requirements. My wife and I used the Chawton Room which was spacious and comfortable and with modern ensuite fittings and delightful views over the gardens from four windows.
Although situated in a somewhat remote rural area it is worth the effort to drive the extra mile or so to experience this haven of tranquillity. Many places of interest can be found within 30 minutes.
This must be one of the best hotels that accept visitors with their dogs and this adds to the character of the house and dogs are not allowed to intrude in the dining areas.
Overall a first class hotel and one which we would not hesitate to recommend and return to.

Room Tip: Can only speak for the Chawton Room which was excellent.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2013

In a fairly remote part of North Devon, bordering on Cornwall, Blagdon Manor is an extraordinary find. The owners, Liz and Steve Morey, are perfect hoteliers, welcoming without being ingratiating, they are friendly and helpful. As others have said, the attention to detail and to quality in the rooms and in the restaurant is second to none. The menu is innovative and the presentation superb. Staff are simply wonderful. The garden, and views to the distant moors, are lovely. It has become our favourite hotel (although, technically it's a restaurant with rooms). If you get an opportunity, go there.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Been to Blagdon Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!