“The Duck” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Blackawton
Price range: US$6 - US$30
Cuisines: British, Pub, International
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff
Description: The Normandy Arms is to be found in the lovely village of Blackawton, near Dartmouth in the South Hams Open Tuesday through Sunday.We pride ourselves on the food at the Normandy Arms, with every dish produced on the premises using locally sourced ingredients.Menu offerings include traditional classics and specials, alongside more mordern dishes
Preston
“The Duck”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

I ordered the Duck and found it to be the nicest meal I have ever eaten. Trip Advisor wants 100 characters for the narrative, I only need 9, excellent.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank 5HourJourney

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous! Can we steal it and put it nearer home?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

A random find by my partner during our stay at glorious Dartmouth, and finding Blackawton is not very difficult, although the road is single lane, so be prepared to reverse to a passing position. I made a reservation by phone, and due to their dedication to keeping the service on time was asked if I could make it earlier or later, which we did > a good sign that these guys knew what they were doing. When we arrived, we were immediately and very warmly received, and invited to take our pick of the available tables, which presented us a lovely view out across the valley. Having eyed up one of the other couples starters we both went for the Asapagus starter which was spot on, the mustard dressing adding a brilliant sharpness. Bread, baked on site I believe, was provided and quickly demolished, and after a quick check to make sure no-one was looking, used to mop up the plate! (So tasty, seemed a shame to waste it). For mains I had the duck, which was cooked to perfection, medium rare (I was asked when ordering if medium rare was ok, as this is obviously not to everyone's taste - however I would definitely suggest it). My partner had the Belly Pork and Chorizo. Both plates were very soon empty. We then moved on to dessert which they catered for our allergies, again perfectly balanced plates - the black cherries sharpness contrasting against the sweetness of the hazelnut slice. The Owners and Staff were lovely throughout and if this was our local pub, we'd probably be here a lot. There's a reason that this place has all these great reviews and the AA rating! Get there quick while you can before he's on Masterchef and becomes a celeb chef.

• Visited July 2014
stratford upon avon
“Super food !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Picked after reviews from other TA members.
The new owners (18 months) made us very welcome and even ran our starters out to the garden as it was a lovely warm evening.
The duck was cooked to perfection and my steak the same.
A young vibrant couple who want you to enjoy his quaint village pub/ restaurant.
The chef/ owner came to chat with us and really showed a passion for good fresh produce.
Well done and look forward to next visit.

• Visited June 2014
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food- tempted to lick my plate”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

This was recommended by The staff at the Laughing Monk and we were not to be disappointed. It is a lovely pub and staff could not do enough for you. Very much enjoyed the homemade bread which was delivered as we sat down. My starter of asparagus,poached eggs and pea shoots was the star of the show and if I had been at home I may of licked the plate!!! Hubbie thought his hanger steak was cooked to perfection. Wine list was great. Hope to stay over next time and enjoy the peace and quiet that surrounded the pub.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Pollyanna G
“"Exelent food lovely service"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Me and my wife, we spent 2 nights in the hotel, the rooms were nice and cosy with a very comfortable bed. The food was excellent and the attention we received was friendly and warm. We had a very relaxing weekend and we definitely recommend the Normandy Arms if you're looking for a place to escape from the noise of the city and have a relaxing and peaceful weekend. Many Thanks to all the staff!!!

• Visited May 2014