“Over rated average accommodation that 'could do better'” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Woodside Cottage

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Blackawton
Woodside Cottage
Ranked #4 of 4 Blackawton B&B and Inns
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Over rated average accommodation that 'could do better'”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2009

The accommodation here is average and certainly not luxury. Whilst the owners were pleasant, if quirky and egocentric, the hospitality left a lot to be desired: the cake on arrival was covered in nuts-when I said my husband was allergic to nuts the owner ate it himself! If you didn't eat all the very badly cooked breakfast loud comments are made to the cook on it's return to the kitchen. But my biggest gripe was the sign in the bedroom asking you to make sure you left the room each day by 10.00-if we'd known when we were booking we wouldn't have boithered! I think that as lovely as the owners are they are ready for retirement. Parking space was a nightmare. Very nice pub nearby.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Arnoldson, Owners at Woodside Cottage, responded to this review, 28 March 2010
We quote exactly what we say in a leaflet in all our rooms about leaving times:
"Although we hesitate to impose any rules, we ask for your understanding that we must service our rooms every day, so we normally expect them to be vacated by 1030 (not 1000) in the morning."
Courteously expressed, we hope. Unreasonable? Certainly not.

We would also like prospective guests to know that we take great pride in the AA award we have for our fine breakfasts. So we are happy to leave it to your readers to assess the veracity of this feedback.

Families
Solo
Business
bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2009

I booked the stay at Woodside as a Valentines treat as the location was perfect, just outside of Dartmouth and gave wide access to the surrounding area.

Before I had even finalised the booking Tim, the owner, made me feel welcome while we discussed the booking on the phone and this contined on arrival.

The local knowledge was great with recommendations on where to eat on the first night, even making the booking for us in advance, (if you are getting in late and he offers to book a table, please listen, the food and service at the local pub in Blackawton was amazing).

If you are into walks in the countryside or along the coast the suggestions from Tim were invaluable as he knows the area and can guide you to areas that are of of the beaten track and are so peaceful and picturesque.

The room was a good size and met all of our requirements, it even had a gadget I had never seen before, a tv which had the facility for Ipod docking. This did not diminish the romantic rustic charm. Waking up and looking out over the rolling hills was such a change from the cityscape I am used to.

I would thoroughly recommend a stay at Woodside

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sooperdave
bermuda
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2009

When you need to get away and you want peace and quiet and ambience and don't want to spend a fortune...go to Woodside Cottage!

Have just had a wonderful couple of nights at Woodside Cottage with a lovely warm welcome from the proprietors Tim and Sally, who instantly made us feel at home with tea and lovely home made cakes. Our room was extremely comfortable and beautifully furnished - in fact the whole cottage was absolutely charming and cosy, with lovely antiques and soft furnishings. Situated in an idyllic, peaceful rural location (with a lovely view from our room!) it was in easy reach of Dartmouth and a stone's throw from the village of Blackawton with it's two interesting pubs. Sally's sumptuous breakfasts were an absolute treat and really set us up for the day.

All in all, a perfect get away, we both came away totally refreshed and are looking forward to our next visit."

Thanks!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
cheltenham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2009

I had decided to go to dartmouth for new years with some friends but all hotels in town were full so we managed to get two rooms at woodside,
upon arrival the owner Tim seemed quite shocked to see four girls and not couples but welcomed us and gave us some fresh tea and coffee and some yummy home made cake.
the rooms were fine but the heating was on a very low setting for winter and a couple of the girls didn't sleep well on the first night, so i mentioned it to Tim over breakfast and he said he was doing the best he could.

When we returned later that day the heating wasn't even on and the rooms were freezing so i asked again if it could be put back on at least, Tim's wife said absolutely no way it's on a timer!!
Then Tim gave me a lecture about how the house was very old and they didn't have modern central heating like we might have at home...even though the central heating looked just like what i had at home.
I tried to remain calm and was feeling under the weather which Tim noticed and then said oh you don't sound too well i'll put the heating on!!

From then on we felt like unwelcome guests and on our day of check out which was new years day they pretty much tried to kick us out before check out time because they wanted to make our rooms up before going out themselves.

So i quess the customer doesn't always come first at woodside.

If you do decide to stay there take a hot water bottle and don't mention the heating whatever you do!!!!

• Liked — the home made cake
  • Disliked — not impressed with the way we were treated!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank joannehug
Arnoldson, Joint Owner at Woodside Cottage, responded to this review, 19 February 2009
Perhaps the ultimate nightmare for owners of an upmarket B&B like ours is the thought of our lovely home being taken over by hen or stag parties intent on a night out in town. However well intentioned our guests might be, it seems almost inevitable that they will cause some damage to our property or its fabric. This might take a while to discover, because the rooms are often not vacated until the last minute, typically long after checkout time, as the occupants try to recover from the excesses of the night before.

Sure enough, our Blue Room had to be completely redecorated after the hen party left, mainly because it had suffered from massive condensation caused, we believe, by professional hairdressing equipment brought along for the occasion. Also, the badly stained curtain linings had to be replaced and the carpet specially shampooed because of spilt make-up.

If we were unwelcoming (which is certainly not in our nature), it was because we could clearly perceive the problems lying ahead. These would never have arisen if the booking had been requested directly with us instead of an automatic online reservation. So, in addition to excluding stag and hen parties in our terms and conditions, we are now resolved to vet personally all future online reservations as soon as we are notified. May this alert all other B&B owners as they start to use this latest technology.
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2008

Dear Traveler,

If the sound of birds singing in the trees and cows and sheep grazing on impossibly green hillsides outside of your primrose covered windows annoy you, then do not stay at Woodside Cottage.

If your skip breakfast slumbers would be disturbed by the cooking smells of sausage, bacon and homemade bread, then by all means do not stay at Woodside cottage.

If you hate long walks on small country lanes with towering hedgerows covered in wildflowers and in summer burdened with berries, then do not stay at Woodside Cottage.

If antiques, comfy chairs, cozy nooks and a library full of books does not set your mind afire, then by all means do not stay at Woodide Cottage.

If you would prefer the impersonal hotel experience to the warm feeling of being welcomed into someones home amid their treasures, then by all means do not stay at Woodside Cottage.

Tim and Sally Adams were great hosts. I watched them relate to other guests and I admired that they had something special for everyone. I was in the area of Blackawton to do genealogy and I found that their suggestions and knowledge of the area helped me greatly.

My room was very comfortable and clean, but my suitcases were very large. All bedrooms are on the second floor up a flight of winding stairs. My host aided me and it all fit.

Unused to narrow roads and smaller parking spaces I had a bit of trouble parking, but I attribute the trouble to my inexperience rather then what was available. I could have had bigger rooms an elevator and a large parking structure if I had stayed at a hotel, but then I would not have had the memory of staying at Woodside Cottage.

• Liked — I wanted the B&B experience and it was in the village that I wanted to explore for genealogy.
  • Disliked — The parking can be tricky as there is a bit of an incline at one end. If someone parks funny then you could be in trouble.
  • Stayed May 2008
Doulting, Shepton Mallet
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2007

We have just had a wonderful three night break at Woodside Cottage B&B. We were looking for a high quality establishment in a peaceful, rural location but close to Dartmouth and amenities. Everything we found at Woodside Cottage exeeded our expectations and we would have no hesitation in recommending it to other people. Sally and Tim are wonderful hosts, warm and welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. My partner is disabled and they were extremely accommodating. Our room was clean, bright and spacious with lovely rural views and our breakfasts were of a very high standard. As we have formerly owned a Gold Award, 4 Diamond B&B, we feel that we are well qualified to comment and hope that prospective guests will find this review helpful!

Stayed October 2007
SouthWales
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2007

I am afraid that some web sites can be a bit misleading and "over-sell" the product on offer. We found Woodside Cottage perfectly acceptable but would refrain from the word luxury. The location is definely rural, but I would not say the views were anything to shout about. The rooms are pleasant, but definitely not spacious, although the bed was very large and comfortable.
The breakfast was not the best I have had, there seems to be too much emphasis on the source of the raw materials rather than the end product.
The owner has the tendancy to confuse bookings, double booking us and some other guests the same week. We both had to go to alternative accommodation.
Perhaps worse was the cancellation of our 25th Anniversary meal at the local Gastro Pub. It had been booked for the night of arrival on the date of our anniversary. We arrived to be told by the owner that it had been changed to the thursday, This nearly spoilt our evening and was very embarassing. This was never mentioned by the owner of Woodside Cottage- perhaps he didn't realise we were nick named the "Cock up Couple" by other guests. (Charming)

• Liked — The Bed
  • Disliked — The booking arrangements
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Swind0nian