“The George with a Dragon !!”

The George Inn Blackawton
Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Blackawton
Price range: US$6 - US$21
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A 3* Visit England graded country village inn in the South Hams, South Devon providing comfortable ensuite accommodation, tasty inn cooked fayre and Cask Marque accredited ales. The fayre provided at The George Inn Blackawton ranges from classic British sausage & mash to Indian curries, & Italian Pizzas. Providing a great take away option to suit everyone from one place. 6 miles from Dartmouth, 10 miles from Totnes and 10 miles from Kingsbridge; a perfect position to explore the areas beautiful land and seascapes. Or to enjoy annual events and festivals.
Reviewed 17 August 2013

In the past we used this pub on a regular basis and thoroughly enjoyed the food and friendly ambiance from the locals and the owners, one of our favourite meals was the roast on Sundays. Our routine has changed but being in the area, we thought it would be an excellent place to have a quick lunch.
We arrived and Ruth ( the owner ) remarked that it was a long time since we had been to pub, we ordered our food, I was not sure whether to have the crab cakes and asked what sort of size were they, the answering retort was ' I'll measure them if you like', a totally uncalled for comment.
I reviewed the specials board and decided on the brocolli and Stilton soup, a particular favourite of mine, my husband ordered a pizza with peppers and tuna. We were then advised the order would take a little while as the oven was being cleaned, rather an unusual time to do this task !!
Gone was the friendly conversation that we recalled, obviously very preoccupied and busy with us and one other customer, we seated and waited, a local appeared for a pint, during which she was interrupted by a phone call which was received with impatience, fortunately her voice changed when she answered the telephone. The recipient of the beer seated himself with the expression of acceptance with her rather unusual manner.
My husband decided to have another pint, with no sign of service, both of the regulars suggested he rang the bell for her attention, her response was very negative, not even a glimmer of a smile, just a frown.
Our food arrived and my soup was in glass mug, served with homemade rolls and butter, the soup was VERY thick, rather like green porridge, I was unable to taste any Stilton, asking my husband to sample it, his first reaction ' no Stilton ' ! His pizza was OK a sprinkling of tuna 80p extra and flakes of peppers 40p extra was a disappointment.
A little later Ruth approached and I explained about the lack of Stilton in the soup her reaction was most Dragon like, I suggested she sampled it, her response..... she could taste Stilton. She offered me more soup but by then I was no longer interested. My husband asked for a box for the remaining half of his pizza to take home, when he could add some slices of tomatoes and some roasted peppers.
I will give her due she did not charge us for the soup, it was terrible ! I feel sad for our experience but it may be be that passing trade does not interest her, only her local trade, personally I think this very short-sighted. It may have been a day fraught with problems but it should not affect the standard of service and preferably with a welcoming smile.

6  Thank gina s
rowena87, Guest Relations Manager at The George Inn Blackawton, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Thank you for reviewing your experience. I can only apologise that it was not as good as it should have been.
The rest of the team at The George work very hard to impress all our visitors.
I hope that one day you will return and find the 'old' atmosphere and experience has returned.