“Wish I was back there.....”

Plantation House Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ermington
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Recently enjoyed a long weekend at Plantation House with my husband and we couldn't fault it. The house is beautifully kept, comfortable and in a good location for exploring the South Devon downs. The owner and staff were charming and couldn't do enough for us.
Food was excellent - locally sourced, some even foraged, beautifully cooked and well presented.
Beats some 5 star luxury hotels we've stayed in hands down.
We will definitely return.
Only point to note, this is an old house with some steep stairs and no lift, anyone with a disability may need to think twice.

Room Tip: All are delightful, I would opt for a master bedroom next time, for a bit more space.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 May 2012

My husband, 12 year old daughter and I stayed at the Plantation last weekend whilst attending a 50th Birthday Party in Ivybridge. It was fantastic! We had the Master Bedroom and the small single for my daughter. Despite the single being about 10 ft square, it had a very comfortable single bed, en suite shower room, kettle, fruit basket, coffee, biscuits - in fact, everything the larger rooms had.
We had dinner in the restaurant on Friday night with some friends and it was superb. The 3 course dinner costs £36 per person and was worth every penny. The wine list is good and sensibly priced. We had a particularly splendid Gerwurtztraminer with our scallops in thai sauce and a Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon with our main course.
Breakfast the following morning could not be faulted - we had the Devon breakfast, my daughter had crumpets with maple syrup. We followed with toast, fresh fruit, croissants, yogurt and goodness knows what else was there to choose from.

The service was very friendly and efficient and the Chef/Patron was very keen to hear our views on his cooking and to see if anything could be improved.

All in all, well worth a trip to Devon just to go to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jfd40
Reviewed 14 May 2012

A wonderful stay in this charming boutique hotel for our first wedding anniversary. Beautiful location, excellent attentive staff and amazing food! Rooms are a good size, luxurious furniture and modern bathroom. The room we stayed in had pretty views.

Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2012

My mother and I stayed for two nights at the beginning of April while we researched some family history in the area. It was supposed to be just a place to sleep at night, but it turned into the highlight of the trip.

The hotel is very small, and we were extremely lucky to have it to ourselves. The rooms are absolutely lovely, spotlessly clean and really well thought out - all individual. (gorgeous, luxurious bathrooms too!)

What makes this place so special is the food. As much as possible is sourced from foraging, from fishing, growing their own vegetables and from neighbouring farms. Therefore everything is fresh, local and seasonal. Having eaten at some of the top restaurants in the world, I was extremely impressed with the cooking here. It deserves a Michelin star (or two) and I believe that they do have a Michelin recommendation. Some examples from the menu include home made wild garlic bread, venison and scallops.

Breakfast was included in the price and was extremely generous and again, beautiful cooking. The full Devon breakfast is a beautiful feast, and my personal favourite touch was the homemade marmalade and jam that they were able to offer. There was loads of toast, croissants, fruit, juice, coffee, tea, cereal, yoghurt, porridge, and the fluffiest scrambled eggs I have ever had!

the attitude of the owners and staff is lovely too - extremely attentive, but relaxed and very happy to chat about recipes, how to forage, local attractions and directions! They even organised for us to go to the farmer's estate down the road to look at his collection of rescued birds of prey - peregrine falcons, hawks, and a beautiful baby barn owl!

Finally the views are lovely - rolling hillsides, the river Erme and lots of trees and birds, plus the resident chickens! (who supply the scrambled eggs!) It's truly a break from a hectic city life and we were in heaven sitting in the garden with a cup of tea and home made shortbread biscuits, listening to birdsong.

I simply cannot recommend this place highly enough, it's unbelievably cheap for the exquisite quality that it offers and we loved every minute there!

Room Tip: There isn't a lift, and the rooms are on the first and second floors. We had rooms on the second...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Stayed for one night after finding it via Alastair Sawday's guide. We were not disappointed.
We were at the top of the house, Room clean and tidy. Welcome tray of tea-coffee , fruit and biscuits. Fresh milk was offered. Bathroom, natural stone and very plush. Shower good!
We ate in the restaurant. Have to say the food was excellent. Three to four choices per course. Others also commented that the food was excellent.
Breakfast was equally good, fruit, cereals and full Devon.
The chef patron was around and very open to our comments, which were all good! Staff were very good and friendly, maybe a little inexperienced in the type of hotel they were representing. We had a look at some of the suites - Moscow Mule was our favourite - light and airy.
Would recommend to others with no problem. There were a few other residents who were repeat business...that must say something about the hotel and its service!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We stayed here 3 nights for a (special!) birthday week-end. The hotel is in a beautiful and quiet location, we stayed in room 21 at the front of the hotel with a view out over a river and hills.
The staff are excellent, and because the hotel is so small you just feel like you are staying in someone else's house rather than a hotel! The room was very nice, pretty large and with all the amenities you need.
The food is also amazing, There is a lot of choice for breakfast including hot food cooked to order (and they don't mind if you want more than one thing from the menu!). We ate dinner here too, and it was some of the best food I have eaten in a long time. The owner is also the chef and obviously takes pride in everything he cooks.
The only reason (and I am being picky) that I didn't give a 5 star review is that:
1. you cannot book online (and normally I would discount hotels where I can't do this, although in this case I'm glad I didn't!)
2. I found the bed really uncomfortable - too soft for my liking
3. our bill was wrong on check-out (other people's drinks bill on it)
But overall even though it is an expensive place to stay it is worth it for a special occasion. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We pretty much took over this hotel to celebrate a 90th birthday with 3 generations coming together. The rooms are extremely comfortable (the single ones are pretty small though) and the touches of fruit in the rooms and flowers from the garden really lovely. The food was absolutely fabulous with some of us feeling it was the best we had ever had anywhere! The staff were extremely helpful - even taking one of the party back to a local b & b where he was staying. I wish we had stayed longer.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank margaret_rundall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ermington
Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa
Glazebrook House Hotel
Glazebrook House Hotel
#1 of 2 in South Brent
Boringdon Hall Hotel and Spa

Been to Plantation House Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!