“All the gear but no idea”
Review of Route 303

Route 303
Ranked #51 of 74 Restaurants in Honiton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: ex14 9nd postcode
Reviewed 13 October 2013

So this was our first stop on our Lands End to John O’Groats road trip and I can’t say it got us off to a particularly inspiring start. On entering we were ignored by various waitresses so I asked one whether we could sit anywhere to which she shrugged and replied ‘yeah’. Having done so, there were only a couple of other occupied tables, after a few minutes a different waitress grumbled that we should have waited to be seated <sigh> Incidentally we somehow chose a table under a picture of Miley Cyrus and her Dad - pre ‘wrecking ball/Sinead O’Connor days of course.

Still, the menu looked ok, there’s a lot of it for sure. I ordered from the light options (or something like that, I can’t recall the wording) which was listed as sausage, egg and bacon. Ordering went like this:

Me: I’d like this please *points to menu*
Waitress: Ok, the sausage, egg and bacon bap
Me: Oh, sorry no, it doesn't say about the bap, I don’t want that bit thanks
Waitress: But it comes with a bap
Me: But I don’t want the bap
Waitress: But it comes with a bap
Me: Umm, ok but I really don’t want it
Waitress: Well it’ll cost the same
Me: I realise that
Waitress: Do you want it on a plate then
Me: Err, ideally yes (I was tempted at this point to ask that it be brought to be on a silver platter strapped to the back of a unicorn but thought better of it)
Waitress: <sarcastically> So-ree.

So, food and drink duly arrived. The coffee was small and weak and the ever attentive waitress told me the milk would be cold. I hadn't asked but I guess it was good to know?! Happily I did have my food on a plate, the sausage was the driest, cheapest most over-cooked I’ve ever had and the bacon was the texture I would expect leather to be. The egg was ok but it’s hard to get a fried egg wrong I guess. And that was the end of any attention (and I use the term lightly) from the staff so we took ourselves off to pay. I’m not sure the cashier was over-pleased at the interruption to the chat with her colleague but nevertheless did stop to take our money before immediately turning her back on me in order to carry on her conversation. Now don’t get me wrong, I wasn't there to engage in social chit chat but I do think it’s at least polite to keep your focus on the customer until they leave.

The restaurant itself looks ok if you like that sort of diner affair and on the plus side, it was clean, as were the toilets. I can’t really criticise the prices, I think we got what we paid for in that it didn't cost the earth and had it been more, I’d have been more inclined to complain as I think it’s only fair to give an establishment the chance to put things right. However we were short on time and in all honesty, I struggle to believe that there is anyone working there that would have cared either way. So for the sake of a few quid we got the hell out of there.

8  Thank Domesticlou

Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

I had heard good things about route 303. After visiting it for myself, I am BAFFLED as to why.

Walking in, your first impressions are "Ok, it's not bad. A bit tacky, but that's kind of the idea here" I told myself to look past this & focus on the food - BIG MISTAKE.

The waiting staff weren't particularly rude or anything, just hugely dissinterested. A good server can make or break a night out. There was just no warmth or personality on show whatsoever.

The food was appalling. I ordered a grill shack, 303's take on a mixed grill.
My £16.55 bought me a 4oz Sirloin steak which was about 25% meat, 75% sinew, fat & gristle. A bone dry pork steak, an equally dry gammon steak & a piece of chicken that I am sure must have died of old age before being cooked & served to me. Anyone who can cook chicken that badly has no business being anywhere near a kitchen - truly awful.

The amount of food left by our party said it all. Some barely touching their meals. The same stories across the board.
Over cooked meat, under cooked burgers, horrible flavours.

Yes, there were a lot of us, but having ordered our meals three days in advance when we booked our tables, that's hardly an excuse.

We had to go out for drinks afterwards just to get over the experience.

It's a real shame as I was really looking forward to this place.
I LOVE an American style diner & have been to many all over the World.
This was far & away the worst.

Needless to say, I'll not be returning

9  Thank Mack1982
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I came for what was supposed to be a celebration.... It soon turned to disaster I ordered a coke and was presented with Pepsi! What is this? The food took an eternity to arrive and when it did it was disappointing to say the least! The only positive was the fries! My rodeo burger was undercook! The bacon was fattier than rick Waller and Susan Boyle making sweet passionate love! My friend had a lamb burger (el rancher) and all she could taste was toothpaste!

I intend to write a strongly worded letter to the manager after leaving the restaurant in tears!

Overall 1/10

6  Thank Foodmonster11111
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

I drove passed this place a few weeks ago when I was working and decided to treat my wife to a meal out as we love American diners.

The staff were incredibly friendly and welcoming, our waitress was called Gina.

We shared a starter and had a doubled up Rodeo burger for main course.

The food was delicious and served very very timely, nice background music and we were unfortunately too stuffed to sample the bountiful dessert menu.

The only downside was the place could do with a good wipe down as was rather dusty but apart from that it was superb.

Well worth a visit, will definitely return and recommend!

1  Thank Phoenix-Blade
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Stopped here on the way to Devon,we were greeted straight away,by a friendly member of staff who couldn't be more helpful! The coffee was fresh & hot,I had the Eastover fried breakfast & my partner had the pancakes with maple syrup,both were delicious,I would definitely visit this roadside restaurant again,when in the area.