“Extraordinarily bad- avoid at all costs”
Review of The Heathfield Inn

and 1 more site!
The Heathfield Inn
Ranked #5 of 16 Honiton B&B and Inns
Yorks
“Extraordinarily bad- avoid at all costs”
Reviewed 15 June 2009

Expensive, unattractive setting, flat and watery beer, and staff so rude when you arrive for breakfast, that you feel compelled to get up and leave before you've even ordered. Thank heavens for sites like this which give customers the chance to share their experiences! With luck, those people whose idea of customer service is to be so aggressive and unpleasant to the people who are paying them that they feel sufficiently uncomfortable and insensed as to fore-go a meal that they have already paid for (behaviour includes swearing repeatedly about them at a volume designed for them to hear) will not be in business for long. Avoid at all costs!!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
7 Thank JosiahBloggs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
in UK
Reviewed 8 May 2009

We should have read the reviews before booking ...... it looked so ideal on the picture ( which we are sure has been tampered with to hide the houses ) It is in the middle of a noisy estate.. not the romantic break we were looking for. On arrival all lights were off , the hotel looked dim and depressing. We were greeted by Carlos who went on the defensive immediately we arrived... after some heated conversation we decided NOT to stay but were still charged the full £70 ... this is a second rate hotel in a second rate location and would not recommend it to anyone. Carlos was rude and customer service was non existent

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank RozinUK
poole
Reviewed 29 January 2009

he charging 4 star prices for a one star accomadation we paid 70 pounds i think it worth about 20 !!!!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank tresbonpoole
xx
Reviewed 22 January 2008

We stayed at the Heathfield, despite some other reviews on this site.

We found it extremely good value for money. Very quiet location - due to it being in the middle of a housing estate - yet a short walk from the centre of Honiton.

The staff and locals were friendly and fun - the landlady couldn't get us a taxi quickly so drove us into town herself. (We needed to get there to watch the football match - and it was raining hard, so despite it being a short walk we opted for the car).

Rooms were spacious, clean and very comfortable. Breakfast was very good. Great value for money and I shall definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2008
Reviewed 18 December 2007

I stayed here for one night as I had some business to attend to in the area.

On arrival I was quite taken aback as the Inn is as mentioned in previous reviews amongst a housing estate. However first impressions were quite good, it looks very nice from the outside.

Inside, it's like an old english pub. I t was cold and they could have done with a roaring fire which would have made it a lot cosier.

There isn't a reception as such so I was slightly confused when I entered as I had no clue where to go to check in. I spoke with the barmaid who was very sweet and she produced the keys and took me to my room. I have to say at this point I was very disappointed as I found out later the owner was there and she did not give any welcome or make me feel at all at ease. She appeared friendly enough but there was just no warmth, she appeared anxious at best.

The barmaid took me to my room as I said, I went into a room which was just as you would expect a room to look in an Olde English pub. The bed was comfortable enough and the room was warm, it was well equipped and had plenty of storage. On the downside, I had an overwhelming urge to clean it to my standard, I'm not sure if it was because the room was dark or that the furniture and decor was tired but it didn't look or feel spotless. My view is they need to brighten the rooms up and overhaul the furniture and I think they would have a pretty nice space.

The Inn, although slap bang in the middle of a housing estate was very quiet and I slept very well although I was a little warm.

The High Street is about a 15 minute walk or a 5 minute drive.

I had breakfast the next morning and the owner and her husband were there. She was a lot more at ease, maybe it's just her way, perhaps she is just timid. Her husband did not speak until I was leaving and then he smiled and said goodbye!

To conclude, I think this place could do with a little tweak here and there. The owners could take some lessons on public relations from the barmaid (the one with short dark hair, petite, around 25 years old) and I think this would be quite a nice place for a short visit to Honiton.

• Liked — large rooms
  • Disliked — feeling of uncleanliness
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank nellecc
london
Reviewed 13 October 2007

carlos was very rude and rooms where dirty

• Stayed October 2007
6 Thank mooseLondon
herts
Reviewed 19 July 2007

Delightful inn friendly ,wellcoming , spotlessly clean. Food excellent .Room spacious and comfortable. We will visit again.

• Liked — the family room was very comfortable .
  • Disliked — In the centre of estate. It was a farmhouse long ago and the estate was built round it.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Honiton
Deer Park Country House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Monkton
Rose Farm B&B
Rose Farm B&B
#1 of 3 in Wilmington

Been to The Heathfield Inn? Share your experiences!