“Lovely lunch”

The Holt
Ranked #1 of 76 Restaurants in Honiton
Price range: US$1 - US$32
Cuisines: Bar, European, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Isle of Portland, United Kingdom
“Lovely lunch”
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

We stopped here on our way to the airport so wanted a quick tasty lunch. Never been here before, had a lovely warm welcome. I had a glass of Pinot rosé which was good, and we selected a number of tapas. All very tasty, see the photo! Nice quick service & perfect lunch stop.

Visited July 2014

Rural
“A very pleasant surprise!”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We are normally wary of high street pubs, but a friend recommended The Holt -- and what a surprise it was, offering a warm welcome and nice atmosphere, and an amazingly extensive menu. I ordered an unusual vegetarian dish, which was truly delicious. The service was excellent and prices very reasonable. They also have a nice selection of real beer from local brewers. Highly recommended.

• Visited July 2014
Matlock, United Kingdom
“Superb food and great atmosphere”
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Superb food at a good price in a friendly atmosphere. From the moment we sat down we were served by professional, courteous staff. The menu was great was great. It's not often I find it difficult to make a decision on what to eat but this was a toughy! I couldn't have written a better menu myself. The pea and mint soup was great but it was the chicken main that was the star. It was a shame I was only in town for one evening! If I'm ever in the area again I will definitely be dining here again.

Exmouth, Devon
“Lovely surprise....who knew salad could be so beautiful?”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We had to come to Honiton for an appointment, and found this pub/restaurant on Tripadvisor. Not always a good thing as you have high expectations before you've even arrived. However, in this instance, the high praise is very much warranted. We shared several tapas to start, including home-smoked shell on prawns & home made sausages in a tomato sauce. Everything was delicious, and very fairly priced. We followed these with the rare roast beef sandwiches. These have to be the best sandwiches I've ever had, and the salad that it was served with was the most beautiful and tasty I've had/seen. Full of pretty blue flowers, and such tasty pickled vegetables. An experience by itself. We will definitely be back, just a shame we'd never known about it before...the wasted lunches elsewhere over the years!

• Visited June 2014
Exmouth, United Kingdom
“Why can't I give it ten stars?”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Well, what can I say that would do this Gastro Pub/Restaurant justice? Very rarely do I find myself stuck for words, but I could wax lyrical over the quality of the food and the staff and the beer, until you would be bored witless. So I promise I will not.

I was lucky to be invited to The Holt this evening by my wife, to celebrate her first wage packet in her new job. Originally we had planned to eat elsewhere, but a friend from Honiton had recommended The Holt, so we gave it a go. Thank God! We were too early for the kitchen to be open, so got a table and a stunning pint of "Otter Head" and a "V and T". The beer was exemplary, the right temperature and full of flavour, the V and T, was err well Vodka n Tonic...(You can tell who is the Ale fan).

We perused the menu, opting to eat downstairs in the bar area, rather than upstairs in the restaurant. Both the ladies behind the bar were lovely, friendly and helpful. We were brought some fresh bread and our cutlery after we had ordered and did not have to wait long for the starter. A "Crispy" poached egg, nestled on top of 2 thin slices of pork belly and asparagus. OMG!! what a riot of taste, my senses were under attack from the succulent egg in its crisp coating to the melt in your mouth pork countered by the crunch of fresh tasty asparagus. I physically had to fight the wife off, as she had gone down the "non starter route" and regretted it.

After recovering from the first bout, the main courses were delivered. Piping hot plates and a crescendo of flavours and colours, presented with the artistic flair of Monet and the constructional talents of Brunel. My wife had the salmon fillet with prawns,crushed new potatoes, baby carrots and a bed of samphire with a creamy sauce. I opted for the beef brisket with horse radish dumplings, crispy potatoes, fresh peas and a stunning sauce. Again, the beef was moist but cooked "par excellence" the dumplings,tasty and well textured, the potatoes a nice change from your average "spud" and the peas cooked just so. Combined with the sauce, this taste sensation hit the spot.

Mains finished and a swift Pimms and an Otter amber ordered, we immediately broke our resolve "not to have a sweet". The wife went simples, with a trio of ice creams and I being a savoury fan, went for the cheese and also sneaked in a glass of port whilst she was not listening. Again, so many eateries cannot even do ice cream and cheese and crackers. The team at the Holt raised the stakes in culinary excellence. Words cannot do the ice creams justice, let the picture speak, but I will say the "Cheery Bakewell" ice cream was scrummy, then again, so was the "Panatone flavour" and the "Blackberry". My cheese and biscuits was spot on, with the delightful touch of quince jelly and walnuts on the side.

Filled to complete and utter porkiness, we sat back and agreed that this was one of the best meals we had EVER had.

We are not anyone flash, we have normal jobs, but enjoy a treat now and again. This was a treat to write home about. Thankyou to all the crew at the Holt, you made up the component parts of a truly super gastro experience. Looking forward to our next treat.....

• Visited July 2014