“Excellent food in a Honiton Pub”
Review of The Holt

The Holt
Ranked #1 of 74 Restaurants in Honiton
Price range: US$1 - US$35
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British, Bar
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We had been to The Holt before but as not booked last time ate down stairs in the bar. This time we booked a week ahead and ate upstairs in the restaurant.

The meal was lovely. We both had soup for starters and fantstic home made bread. Main was Chicken with gnocci , vegtables - very tasty and well presented. My partner had the Venison special meal. Again very well presented and he enjoyed every mouthful.

We decided to have puddings a Chocolate & Hazlenut Torte for me and my partner had the apple tart , which was a big portion and very filling.They were so good but wished I had ot had a starter and pudding as I was so full after.

We were not rushed and the staff were very pleasant.

Will definately return in the future.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Dined at The Holt for the first time last night and it won't be the last. Service was friendly and efficient, ambiance just right and the food was excellent. Four of us had different dishes from the a la carte and specials board and without exception, all said their food was outstanding. I had venison which is always a risk, but I needn't have worried as it was cooked to perfection and tender as fillet steak. The wine list isn't the most extensive, but it caters for most tastes and the most expensive it gets is £25. We chose bin 21, a nice Medoc, which I would recommend and was certainly great value at £25. The one negative was parking which if the main road is busy, can mean a short walk. It was a very welcome walk after the meal but bring a brolly if there's rain about. That's outside The Holt's control so top marks awarded.

1  Thank morecambeboy
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My partner and I lived in Honiton for a couple of years and loved the eating in the Holt. We now live about 45 minutes away, and still go back.

The food is wonderful - flavours and textures clearly have a lot of thought put into them. I'm not a pudding person but I always order, and love, the desserts at the Holt.

The staff are always friendly and helpful.

The upstairs dining area is nice, but I would avoid sitting in the downstairs area just in front of the kitchen, as we did leave smelling as if we had been deep-fried ourselves.

We're moving away from the South-west soon, but will be back in Honiton to sample the Holt's goodies one last time.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We were staying with friends and offered them for Saturday lunch as a thank you.

We arrived to a lovely welcome and an open kitchen ( which I always like as you can see work in progress )

Service was friendly but not familiar and there were lunch time specials as well as the standard menu.

The dishes sounded good and simple but arrived beautifully presented without the silly pretentiousness of some restaurants dishes.

My cold beef salad had little pickled pink onions and small pieces of bright cauliflower in amongst the leaves. Wonderful. The bread was simple and made that morning on the premises. The twist was that it had caraway seeds rolled into the crust. So simple but sooooo good.

Dessert was great and beautifully presented. My friend bought a lovely Barolo wine which was bit more than I normally spend but worth every penny.

Great lunch from people who seem to have the handle on great unpretentious British food.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We had heard lots of talk about how good The Holt was, so we tried it. Its a nice atmosphere and friendly staff. The menu was OK, after all it is just a pub. We ordered the chicken brest and the fish and chips. We were warned that the order would take a little while as it was cooked to order, not a problem. While we sat and waited for out food, there were a couple of things I noticed, that i was uncomfotable with. Firstly, the salt and pepper where put on the table for us, they were in scallop shells, so you had to put your fingers in to get some. They didn't seem to be changed between customers, so what came to mind is the story of "the peanuts on the bar". Had the previous people who had used the salt and pepper washed their hands etc. Secondly, I looked in the kitchen and to my horror the chef stuck a spoon in a tube of what i assume was a sauce and tasted it, then put the spoon back in to the sauce to give the other chef a taste. If you are going to do something like that when the kitchen is open for everyone to see, what do they do when you can't see? The food came, after a good 5 minutes waiting to be brought over to us from the hot plate. The fish and chips was nice but no more than a childs portion. The chicken was nice again a small amount for £15.50. I have to say i was very disappointed. The prices where high and the portions small. As for basic hygiene, needless to say I will not be returning.

6  Thank Miles R