“Amazing Experience”

Dartmoor Hawking Falconry Experience
More attraction details
Owner description: The sight of a falcon diving down towards earth at over 100mph is one of life’s truly exhilarating experiences. Having a hawk stand on your fist, happily tearing at its food, is a rare privilege. But to actually fly a bird of prey encompasses both of these and so much more.One of Britain’s few private falconry centres, Dartmoor Hawking sits at the heart of Dartmoor National Park. internationally recognized as having some of the most dramatic and stunning scenery in the country. With 35 acres of its own land, the school has plenty of space to allow clients to really see these magnificent birds flying at their best. But the wings of a raptor have few limitations and we also have access to about 15,000 acres of hunting/flying ground away from the site.Dartmoor Hawking is not open to the general public which means that we can devote all our time to our clients. In turn, that means that each individual has one of the most interactive and personal experiences with birds of prey available in the country. As a privately-run centre, we ensure that your time with us is as enjoyable and exciting as possible. Our hands-on approach is inherent in all that we offer. On our introduction and experience days, the emphasis is very much on clients handling and flying birds. For those wishing to experience real falconry, our hunting days provide a fantastic opportunity to work with birds in the field and see what the hawks can really do!Our aim is to share the wonders of birds of prey and falconry with all our clients. At Dartmoor Hawking School of Falconry, we know that your time spent with our hawks, falcons and owls will be a truly unforgettable experience.Please note: We have full Public Liability Insurance for all our events and all our staff CRB checked
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I have had the pleasure to visit Bovey Castle and watch Martin's morning falconry shows for a few years now. Not only will you be exposed to an incredible array of birds, get to see them up close and watch them work, but you will be thoroughly entertained by Martin and his sidekick Boris (the dog) all while learning interesting information about these magnificent creatures. Martin has a great dry wit, and if only my school teachers presented their information as humorously as Martin does I probably would have learned a lot more! From the treacherous bald eagle, Rosie, to the silly owl, Merlin, you will become on a first name basis with this group of characters. I absolutely loved the show and the birds. I have many friends who have done the private falconry experience, and every one of them loved it...I haven't heard anything but appreciation and praise for the experience.

1  Thank Nat-abroad
in 3 reviews
in 14 reviews
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 31 August 2013

At the risk of being repetitive of other reviews, you couldn't find a bad word to say about this experience. My wife and I were totally overawed to be interacting with wonderful owls, hawks and eagles, accompanied all the while by Martin's hugely entertaining and witty commentary. This consisted of a stand up routine with jokes at the expense of everyone from kids and golfers to the Cornish and included wry snippets of his eventful personal history. It was hugely entertaining. Martin was also very tolerant of my old mum who went and hid in the car half way through. If you are in Dartmoor, an experience with Martin's birds should be top of your list. Finally, Martin's dog Boris is nearly as entertaining as he is. Highlight of our trip this was!

1  Thank squonkMelbourne
Reviewed 7 August 2013

An absolutely unique and amazing experience. Booked the falconry experience as a birthday surprise for my husband and we both absolutely loved it. Martin is exceptionally knowledgeable about his birds of prey and gives a memorable experience with hands opportunities to fly/feed his magnificent birds, which vary from the cutest ever little owl to massive predatory hunters. I won't say more as it will spoil it, but no hesitation in recommending this as an experience not to miss!

1  Thank Paula V
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We spent a full day with Martin and the birds. An absolutely awesome experience!! Martin is a fantastic teacher and a wonderful advocate for birds of prey. We learned so much about each individual bird and about falconry in general. It was positively fabulous to fly a bald eagle on the Fourth of July! I think the most important lesson Martin teaches is ultimate respect for these beautiful creatures. If you are truly interested in learning about birds of prey, sign up for the Falconry Day -- it is worth every penny!!

1  Thank scout88Usa
See more reviews
Reviewed 21 January 2013

My wife bought me the hawking experience via a voucher website for a Christmas present - and what a great present it was!
Booked for a Wednesday morning, the Monday/Tuesday were wet and we had our doubts, but the Wednesday dawned misty & dry .. and just got better & better.
Martin met us in the North Bovey car park, he was easily identified by his ginger mut Boris hanging out of the passengers window!!
On arrival at the center, we met what many see as the nicer birds, but Martin sees them only as the birds that people want to meet ... and we soon saw why as he brought out his hawk and eagles for us to handle.
His 'patter' was brilliant and kept all the group (6 of us) fully entertained and involved throughout. It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience and one both my wife & I would recommend - the chance to come face-to-face .. eyeball-to-eyeball with his birds is a thrilling feeling.

3  Thank One_Devonboy