“Lunch after a long journey”
Review of The Rock Inn

The Rock Inn
Ranked #4 of 14 Restaurants in Yelverton
Price range: US$4 - US$25
Cuisines: British, Bar
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: This popular pub has been owned by the same family since the 1880.s.We still offer a great range of local, high quality ales, Westcountry ciders and a varied wine list. Our Chef uses really local produce for her very tasty menu, come and try some of our pies, curries, Sunday roasts or just a Cream Tea. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Comfortable pub with a pleasant atmosphere. Friendly staff with a ready smile. Just the job after travelling as we were able to relax. Food was fine, not haute cuisine, but not priced that way either.

All in all, they met our needs and we were happy.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Firtsly I would like to say this is the first review I have ever written. I was so disappointed with the quality of food that I just had to say something, Took my mother for lunch we both went for the roast pork from the speicals board. The roast pork can only be described as very thin fatty slices that you would perhaps have purchased from a cold meat counter at a supermarket and heated up covering it with a thin watery gravey. The stuffing was small round and must have been deep fried along with the so called roast potatoes which were nothing more than frozen potatoes fried. The staff were pleasant but did not ask how our meals were they just cleared the plates. I did not consider this a treat for my mother and felt ripped off. I would not visit again or recommend it to anyone.

landlady13, Owner at The Rock Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Hello Janet P,
How unfortunate that your meal was not up to our usual high standard, I wonder why you didn't ask to speak to the manager who would have ensured that your meals were replaced or you could have chosen an alternative. I assure you, all our vegetables are fresh, to assume the potatoes were frozen is incorrect.
Thank you for your comments regarding the staff, I will ensure they receive more training.
SJC

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We went here for Dinner today (Sunday 17th August) as my in-laws have had reasonable lunchtime food here. Unfortunately, whilst the location is good, food quality and service were well below average (as I told the bar staff when leaving).
Bar staff are friendly but easily distracted from serving one customer by another.
Food was delivered reasonably quickly BUT the roast potatoes resembled lumps of coal (i.e. they were extremely overdone). These were returned. 10 minutes later, the second batch were slightly better, but still not very pleasant. The Steak and Ale pie was OK, as was the hunters chicken. The chips with these two meals were underdone.
As for the Pork roast and lamb roast dinners, I suspect that they were re-heated lunchtime meat. Rather dry so gravy was essential.
Price wise,it was pricey for the average quality.
Overall, rather mediocre and worth avoiding until The Rock gets it act together(which should not be too difficult with a little effort and attention to detail).

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The food was OK, and the drinks a bit pricey, for what was basically a rather 'tired' looking road-side pub. We only went because it is recommended in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide, and to be fair, the beer was good!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

A great place to have a bike after a bike ride. Plenty of sits outside, bar area and dining area available. Really friendly staff, very helpful, delicious food (and live sport during the world cup:D). Highly recommended.