“A diamond of a hotel - in beautiful surroundings!!”

Moorland Garden Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yelverton
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“A diamond of a hotel - in beautiful surroundings!!”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

What can I say that the title of this review doesn't? Plenty, that's what!

We stayed here last weekend as we were visiting friends in Plymouth and needed a dog friendly hotel. I e-mailed ahead of booking as I was concerned that the standard of the dog friendly rooms may have been lower than the non dog friendly rooms. Tamsin responded to my e-mails explaining that the main difference was the hard flooring in the rooms but that the cleanliness was of a high standard. How right she was. Our room was spotless and beautifully presented. A newly refurbished bathroom was the icing on the cake.

We took our dog, Ice, into the dog friendly bar where we were greeted with a bowl of water for him. He behaved very well and the bar staff loved him - he was clearly at ease with the situation and made us very proud as it was his first outing of this kind.

Slept like a log in the massive comfortable bed and the breakfast was just gorgeous and set us up for the rest of the day. The staff were very friendly and attentive too.

We checked out promising Tamsin we will return .... and we will. We were overwhelmed at just how accommodating this hotel is to guest's with a dog(s) and can highly recommend it for a stay with or without a dog. It is a lovely well presented hotel in beautiful surroundings.

Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Charlotte D
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Dear Charlotte G,

Many thanks for your kind review following your stay with us earlier this month, I was very pleased to read how much you all enjoyed your stay and that my team was able to look after you so well.

We do look forward to seeing you again, there will be enticing offers on our website coming up soon.

Andrew Jenkins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Polish first
Yelverton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013

My wife booked this as a mid week dinner for 2 as a suprise for my birthday. The staff we really friendly but it took ages for the starters to come (40 minutes) and whilst it was great they apologised, offering 2 baskets of bread whilst you wait is going to spoil your apetite. The main course took even longer and by this stage the Shania Twain CD was on its second round and I was beginning to lose the will to live but not make a fuss as Claire was clearly gutted. Again the waitress was lovely and came to tell us that the manager had noticed it was taking a long time (so had my stomach!).
When the food came out Claire's fish had been nuked so hard her fork could barely go in but it looked nice. I think that and the amount of time spent waiting (and bread consumed in my case) meant we didnt hang around for dessert.

Really disappointed as I had hoped for great things and a good restaurant around the corner would have been a real bonus for us. There are good pubs nearby (Milton Coombe and Buckland) that can do this without the terrible music and a lot cheaper (£70).

service at table saved it from the bottom score.

1 Thank JonandClaire2013
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear JonandClaire2013,

Thank you for full and frank review following your recent visit to The Wildflower Restaurant here at the hotel. I do apologise for the disappointment you both experienced, we have been reviewing the evening service and Chef asks me to pass on his personal apologies for the amount of time things took for you.

Our music selection is under review and we will be putting a whole new playlist together very shortly, I can understand how this would have begun to grate.

We would very much like to see you again as this was certainly not our normal standard.

Thank you again.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I took an elderly friend on a special offer one-night stay for £59 per person inclusive of 2-course dinner and full English breakfast. The hotel is in a lovely peaceful setting on Dartmoor with ample parking and is close to several tourist attractions.
The ultra-efficient lady receptionist took the relevant details and we were allocated Room 107 on the ground floor. The room is bright and airy with a very modern bathroom. The twin beds are soft and comfortable but whereas the colour scheme is soft green each bed had a deep blue throw...ugh. We changed for dinner and went to the lounge for a sherry. The bar tender lady was extremely pleasant but we noticed wet rings on the table which were still there when we returned after dinner. We were shown to a window table in The Wildflower Restaurant and the meal was delicious although portions were not generous. After a restful night's sleep we enjoyed an excellent cooked breakfast and subsequently checked out.
I brought the following to the receptionist's attention: electric bathroom mirror not functioning; old spillage marks on the wall adjacent to the tea tray; fine cobwebs on the shade of the standard lamp shade. These comments were noted and hopefully rectified.
We enjoyed our stay and the price we paid was fair.....but things could have been better.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear William091241,

Many thanks for your full and helpful review following your recent stay with us. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us but do note how we could have done better. I do appreciate the helpful nature of your observations and they will certainly help us move our standards ever further forwards.

Thank you again and I hope we will be able to look after you again in the future.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We had our wedding here on 26th oct, firstly it is a beautiful setting, a beautiful hotel, rooms are nice comfortable and well equipped, the forget me not suite is beautiful, all of the staff are fantastic and couldn't do enough for us, bar prices are reasonable, all our guests said what a fantastic hotel it is.
Our compliments go to the chef for the tasty well presented food.
Huge thank you to laura for her help, and barry the dj was great.
Our biggest thank you has to go to martin who was with us throughout the day and night and helped put us at ease by letting us know what was going to happen and when.
THANK YOU ALL for such a wonderful day, we couldnt of wished for anything better

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank kellychristie
Dear kellychristie,

Thank you very much for your kind review following your wedding here last month. I am very pleased that Laura, Martin, Chef and the team made your day so special. I will pass on your thanks to them all.

Our best wishes for a happy life together.

Regards,

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Was recommended by a friend and overall thought it was like a Travelodge. Odd coloured leather sofas, IKEA coffee tables etc, it looked as if they had furnished after a trolley dash in Dunelm. Very poor coffee and left waiting at the bar for an age resulted in a walk out.

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank No1rens
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear No1rens,

Thank you for your very helpful review following your recent visit to the hotel. I am sorry the furnishings were not to your taste, we are aiming for a more eclectic and individual look.

I was most concerned to hear about your experience with the coffee and the lack of service, I do apologise for this. We have been investigating carefully to find out why the coffee was poor and have increased our staff training to make sure the team is more watchful over what they are producing. We have also spoken with the staff to ensure we are more attentive in this area.

I do hope you will come back to see us again - I am sure you will find a great improvement in our coffee when you do.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2013

From the minute we walked in to the minute we left it was all great. The hotel is directly on the moorland so you can walk directly from the gate out onto the moor. The grounds themselves are fabulous. We had our two rather large dogs with us and all the staff were wonderful. They made a fuss over the dogs and were extremely friendly. The room overlooking the gardens was lovely and big with a clean spacious bathroom. The food was all homemade and delicious. I would thoroughly recommend this place if for nothing else the friendly, lovely, attentive staff. Well done to them all.

Room Tip: The dog friendly rooms on the ground floor over looking the garden are lovely
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear countrysideaddict,

Very many thanks for your kind review following your stay with us the weekend before last, it was a real pleasure for us to look after you and your beautiful dogs - they were a joy to have here and made a lot of people's stay!

I am very pleased you enjoyed the break - we are in an ideal spot and it is good you were able to make the most of it.

Thank you for booking again - we look forward to your next vist.

Bridport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013

got this deal on travelzoo for one nights stay with dinner, from checking in, till the time we left felt very welcome, attentive staff, a great room overlooking the garden, wonderful modern shower, lovely location for enjoying the quietness of the moors or bustle of Plymouth Dinner was very good downside no vegetables, but still adequately filling. like being able to help oneself to buffet breakfast. My only complaint was a squeaky floorboard outside our bedroom door which everyone passing the room seemed to find, but on the whole a very very enjoyable stay. Have been telling my friends all about it and would love to go back again!!

Dear lavender796,

Thank you very much for your lovely review following your stay at the hotel earlier this month. I am very pleased to see you enjoyed your break and that my team looked after you so well.

The floorboards are on our radar and will be dealt with when we look at the carpets very soon!

Thank you for spreading the word about us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Andrew Jenkins
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yelverton
Mill End Hotel
The Bedford Hotel
The Bedford Hotel
#5 of 5 in Tavistock
No photo provided

Been to Moorland Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!