“Simply the best - highly recommended”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lyme Regis
St Cuthbert's of Lyme
Ranked #24 of 45 Lyme Regis B&B and Inns
Guildford
“Simply the best – highly recommended”
Reviewed 9 August 2012

This is the perfect b&b for us; there is private parking although some of the spaces can be tricky as it is a bit steep down the drive. The walk down Colway Lane and by the River Lym takes about twenty minutes down and half an hour back. As we love the walk by the river we walked down and back every day and I am sure the exercise did us good. St Cuthberts is the only b&b in Lyme Regis to have been awarded the AA 4 Gold Stars and not only is it well deserved but is also such good value.

We were lucky enough to arrive on Sunday 22nd July which was the first day of some warm sunny days after days and days of rain. The sun came in to our accommodation upstairs in the afternoons and there was a lovely view through the french windows and juliet balcony over the well kept garden with the sea in the distance. Our bedroom downstairs was of an equally high standard.

The rooms are tastefully decorated and the furnishings are luxurious. We appreciated the fresh milk and bottled water in the fridge as well as the packets of large and varied biscuits to have with tea or coffee. Our bathroom was beautiful with a large walk in shower.

From the sitting room/dining room a door leads to the decking area outside. We sat outside a couple of evenings with some wine which was very pleasant although the decking area doesn't seem to be used very often.

The 'pièce de résistance' is the breakfast which I suspect no other b&b comes near to in Lyme Regis. One can choose the night before whether one has 8 pancakes with delicious crispy bacon, maple syrup and home made fruit compote, scrambled eggs on toast with smoked salmon, a full English breakfast or a kipper. There are, of course, all the other things that most b&bs serve for breakfast such as cereals, fruit juice, fresh fruit, yoghourts, white, brown or granary toast or a croissant, tea, coffee or hot chocolate. Thank you Sue and Miles for looking after us so well and we look forward to returning very soon.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank amazingsunsetbeach

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Rustington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2012

This is the first time I have visited Lyme Regis and the first time I have stayed at St Cuthbert's and I hope to return again! As well as enjoying a lovely weekend (and seeing a very wet Olympic Torch pass through the town!) St Cuthbert's has to be the best B&B I have stayed in. Being located up the hill it is a bit of a walk into town (nice to walk along the river) or there are various places to park in town if you don't want to walk up and down the hill. The B&B has parking so no need to worry aboud finding a parking space, and the house itself is set in very pretty gardens (I was holidaying with my Mother who is a gardener and Sue was more than happy to show her around the colourful garden).

Sue and Miles were very welcoming and friendly hosts, and were always happy to provide useful information, such as where best to park in town and good places to visit in the area, and places to eat out (there are many to choose from! The Harbour Inn was very good). There are leaflets in the foyer of places to visit and maps of the town, very useful if you don't know the area.

The very high standards in this B&B can be seen everywhere; the room was extremely clean, homely and modern furnishings, with a Juliet balcony overlooking the garden, very comfortable beds and a very smart, clean wet room with a great shower and the attention to detail was second to none; from the mini fridge in the room, where you can keep fresh milk for tea and coffee, or cold water, to the good quality packets of biscuits provided with the tea facilities and the fresh towels, changed daily.

When it comes to breakfast I am not normally very excited about the prospect of a large traditional English breakfast normally on offer at most B&B's as I'm not too keen on large breakfasts, but even I was tempted by the amazing breakfast options that were available! Each morning, the table was laid neatly and fresh fruit was on offer, too tempting to say no to that, and there was a variety of cereals and yoghurts to choose from. There was such a choice on the breakfast menu that even I couldn't decide what to have. My Mum had what I would call traditional English breakfast on the first morning, and even I was tempted; she loved it, cooked and presented very well. I had scrambled egg and mushrooms on toast, also lovely, and the next day, I chose the American pancakes with fruit compote, and the third day I had egg and soldiers, a childhood favourite, not had that for years! All the breakfasts were lovely, and we didn't even have all the choices available; other things on the menu were smoked salmon and other fish, all sounded tasty!

Overall, we were very impressed with St Cuthbert's and thank you to Sue and Miles for making our stay an enjoyable one; I highly recommend this B&B. We hope to return to St Cuthbert's and Lyme Regis again soon.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Düsseldorf, Deutschland
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We´ve been at the St. Cuthbert in June on our trip in Southern England and stayed in room No. 1. It is a little bit up the hill from the town centre, So you have to go by car or have a nice hill to walk up again..
The room was excellent, very spacious, with good beds and nicely decorated, and has a juliet balcony towards the town and the sea, so you can enjoy the nice view in the evening. It also had a little fridge in the closet for fresh milk for tea or your own beverages at like. Bathroom very nice too. Breakfast was the best I´ve discovered in Britain yet! For german guests, try the sausages, the can match german ones easily, which is not very common....
Miles and Sue have been extremely helpful with tips to daily trips and tours, and even to find hidden places. Thank you very much!
Only thing missing was a WiFi connection, but I didn´t miss it too much.
We loved to stay there a lot, and will surely be there again!

Bournemouth
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Our every need was catered for,Sue & Miles could not be more welcoming or more helpful,
nothing seemed to much trouble. Both our rooms were spotlessly clean and extremely comfortable, it would be difficult to find fault in either. The breakfasts menu gave a very good
choice of beautiful cooked and presented food. what more does one want. apart from a few more days than the four we stayed.
Definitely one not to miss.

Room Tip: All rooms are A1
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
stoke on trent
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I really enjoyed my stay here.

The owners are friendly without being intrusive and the rooms are generously proportioned and homely in their feel. The standard of cleanliness is excellent and I thought the breakfast choices were first class too. Lots of fresh fruit and enough options to satisfy meat-eaters or veggies alike (see photos!).

I will certainly return when I need a room in Lyme and would have no hesitation in recommending this to others.

Room Tip: There are only three options, Room one has view to sea, Room two has view to lovely gardens, not sur...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Kent
Reviewed 9 June 2012

This is a lovely B&B with great views over Lyme bay and partial view of the sea from our room (No. 1) from the balcony window. The weather wasn't great when we stayed, but imagine that sitting out on the decking on a sunny evening would be very nice. The garden was very pretty. The room was spacious, the mattress the thickest I've ever seen and the wet room very nice. Nice touches like a mini fridge with bottled water and fresh milk. Breakfasts were very nice and plentiful and great variety of options. I chose pancakes, maple syrup and bacon one morning, scrambled egg and smoked salmon the next. The decor of the B&B is really nice and the hosts very friendly without being in-your-face. I would recommend to anyone as enjoyed the stay very much. The only thing I would stay is that you can't avoid a bit of a climb uphill on the way back from town, but that is the trade off you have to make for the views. I didn't mind it at all, but my OH who is slightly less used to walking (anywhere!) found he had stiff legs the morning after the first walk!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I reserch any place we stay and St. Cuthberts seemed a very nice place to stay.
We were not dissapointed and you will not be if you decide to visit. Our room( No2) was beautifully appointed . A very comftable bed, high quality fixtures and fittings and a lovely wet room shower. I cannot list all the little things that have been carfully thought out and included .Its location very tranquil. And after what is slightly more than a stroll back from town, it was lovely to sit on the decking with a glass of wine . If you dont fancy the lovely walk along the river into town you can drive almost there and park in the long stay for £1.70 all day.
The breakfast menu was varied and delicious, using as much local produce as possible.
Miles and Sue have done a brilliant job of make this probably the nicest place we have ever stayed at in the UK, it really is. Thanks

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful. You will not get a bad one.