“Extremely disappointed”

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Extremely disappointed”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We live nearby in Devon and in the past, maybe a couple of years ago, had quite good fish and chips here. However, recently, we ordered and wanted just one large portion of chips from this FCShop. We had to wait around 30 minutes, admittedly there were large orders ahead of us but we weren't fitted in between the other pie or fish orders when the chips had cooked. The chips were dry and sort of stuck in our throats, there were not many chips considering it was a large portion and for over £3 not at all a pleasant or a value for money experience. We will not buy from this shop again, total waste of money.

2 Thank Keith1632

Prenton, United Kingdom
“Good Fish and Chips”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Worth a visit to this Fish and chip bar, food quality is average to good , but good value for money.
if you need parking there is a car park at the far end of main street.

Taunton, United Kingdom
“Disappointing return visit.”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I've been to Lyme's Fish Bar before with friends after we had a recommendation. Last time it was great! This time, the service was appallingly slow, I had to ask to be served and to then pay! The fish and chips themselves were average.
Please get some more motivated staff who can help return this chip shop to it's former glory!

Reading, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This review is for the Fish Bar on the beach, not the street. Reviews on here have generally been good and there were always queues so I took that as a good omen, combined with a sign stating that there chips are made fresh with 'real' potato. Waited ages but was happy as I figured we would all be getting freshly cooked food rather than something that had been sitting around a while. Walked back to our apartment and was very disappointed. Chips were not crisp, just dry and hard. Cod in batter was seriously overcooked ..... batter was very hard and dark and greasy and once cracked open, the fish inside was greasy, crisp and very overcooked as the oil had got inside during the frying and it was solid. I couldn't eat it so ended up feeding the fish to a local cat (lovely thing) and binned the chips. Looking at the reviews, maybe I was just very unlucky but I could not recommend this place based on my experience on Friday 13th June. Sorry.

Telford, United Kingdom
“A decent chippy”
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

I've used the Lyme's Fish Bar kiosk near the Cobb several times in coothe last year and have never been disappointed. The specials e.g. black bream or bass are well worth a try.
This time we went to the main shop tucked away in Luke's back streets.
The home cooked fish was very good and my too boys enjoyed their kid's portions. My large cod was cooked perfectly and was indeed large. The chips were merely average. The marrowfat peas it came with made a pleasant change from the more usual mushy peas.
My wife had the scampi. I tried one and it was something of a disappointment. A tough breadcrumb case hid a tiny dried scampi. For a chippy of this quality, it just wasn't good enough.
Overall, good but could be better.