“Dinner at the Red Lion - Forget It” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Oak Room Restaurant

The Oak Room Restaurant
Ranked #64 of 80 Restaurants in Lyme Regis
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Lyme Regis, United Kingdom
“Dinner at the Red Lion - Forget It”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

Had our AGM dinner here for eight persons – so disappointed. Sat in bar for drinks and order food in restaurant - later waiter told us that they had no Cod fillet and offered Mullet instead – Ok for the three who ordered it. If they had served a fish finger it would have been bigger than the portion served on a Blob of mashed potato with some green garnish. Others complained that the plaice was not cooked. The only positive was one Octopus starter which was apparently orgasmic. For a premier hotel in Lyme Regis the restaurant Sucks.

Visited August 2014
2 Thank LOGODXB

“Customer service could be improved”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

I popped into the bar yesterday evening with the intention of ordering liquor coffees for myself and my friends. However I was shocked to be put off of ordering by the bar man Gareth. His words were "we do serve liquor coffees but I will warn you they do cost £7.95 each". When I replied that's a little pricey he told me it was because they take so long to prepare. I myself am a restauranteur and I could not see why they took so long or why that would affect the price so I asked him. His reply was "I would need to find another member of staff to cover the bar whilst I prepare the coffees".
I am still bamboozled as to why it takes so long to prepare a coffee with a shot of alcohol and bit of floating cream, maybe I have been making them wrong for the past ten years. I am also shocked that a member of staff would actually try to deter me from ordering a high priced drink, he suggested I order a standard coffee and liquor separately instead!!! If this was a member of my staff I would be having serious words.
Had I been told they were priced highly due to the best liquors and special blend coffee I would have willingly paid.In the end we opted for cappuccinos which to be quite honest were very milky coffees with no foam!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank nictox
“Woeful!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

We went to this hotel for a cream tea. At £5.95 each it was an absolute disgrace. The staff were totally disinterested and we had to hunt them down to place our order. When it arrived it consisted of one warmed up fruit scone each (we both hate fruit scones and prefer plain ones)and a small pot of industrial jam and some clotted cream. When we queried the fact that we didn't want a fruit scone we were told that they only did fruit ones. No real concern that we were not satisfied.
A truly woeful experience. How hard can it be to produce an adequate cream tea?

2 Thank thebaggies26
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Delicious food, laboured service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

The restaurant is a lovely place to dine, the food is very tasty and the menu is varied. There is silver service provided by a pleasant and fairly efficient team but this can sometimes be a little slow and laboured.

Visited July 2014
East Preston, United Kingdom
“Average food; rubbish service (with one exception)”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed here for one night B&B, although we have stayed before five years ago.

Breakfast was mainly buffet, with the expected offerings of cereal, yogurt, fruit (obviously from a tin), juices and pastries. Pastries were disappointingly small, when compared to other B&Bs that I have stayed at in the area.

Cooked breakfast option also provided, with the full plate of sausage, bacon (a little thick and undercooked), black pudding (undercooked), beans (for some reason in a separate pot, and slightly cold), tomato and egg - I had mine scrambled and, like the beans, it was a little cold and also a bit overcooked.

The black (only mention this so he can be identified and rewarded by the management, as I didn't get his name) waiter that brought the cooked food was very polite and obviously well trained, and should go far. However, the rest of the staff need a collective rocket up their rear ends! We were greeted by whom I presumed to be the head waiter (as he was wearing suit jacket, which obviously made him, in his own mind, superior) whose opening line was "what's your room number?". No, "good morning" or other such pleasantries. I was so taken aback, I thought I must have misheard, but he greeted the neighbouring table in exactly the same manner.

Clearing of the empty plates was painfully slow, to such an extent that we had to pile our own up just to get a little space. The staff spent too much time clearing tables of guests who had finished and left the restaurant (and it was by now 9.15/9.30, so breakfast was nearly over), rather than concentrating on the people who were actually there. Also, apart from the black waiter, there was no eye contact from any of them.

Management need to review their recruiting policy!

• Visited June 2014