“Italian restaurant meets blues club”
Review of Lyme Bay Kitchen and Bar - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Italian restaurant meets blues club”
Reviewed 1 June 2011

As soon as you turn into one of Lyme's oldest streets the smell of parmesan and garlic tells you that something is worth investigating. Lyme Bay Kitchen has the most relaxed and unique character of any restaurant we've ever visited, so much so that it was worth a 200 mile trip to have a landmark birthday meal there. The manager is an excellent chef with a relaxed and hospitable attitude; children in high chairs are as welcome as the 'grown-ups'. Excellent pizzas, steak and swordfish, all very generous portions and the 'house red' isn't the eye watering budget wine you get served at many restaurants.The music is B.B. King's Blues Club meets the Boss on tour. If you like The Carpenters and expect chips with everything, you might be disappointed. If you want a relaxed evening of brilliant food and music, get down there!

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank Bluesfan5

London, United Kingdom
“The best place to eat in Lyme”
Reviewed 28 May 2011

I don't know where the people who wrote the bad reviews for this restaurant went - or maybe they're just stupid. This is far and away the best place to eat in Lyme.
If you read the Daily Mail & like an ever-so nice safe suburban dining experience with starched doilies & waiters in dickie bows being subservient - then this in't the place for you.
If, however, you like great food, fantastic atmosphere & have a bit of rock 'n' roll in your soul, then you'll love it.
The food is great - all cooked fresh & to a high standard. I visit this restaurant a lot & I've never had a problem with the staff - quite the opposite. And the atmosphere is second to none - great music all night but a relaxed setting nevertheless - perfect. And reasonable prices too.

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank JerseyFroggy
Poole, United Kingdom
“AWFUL SERVICE! we walked out!!!”
Reviewed 24 April 2011

We were shown to our table, once seated a waitress appeared and took our order for our drinks and our meal. We never saw her again.
After waiting well over an hour, we decided we had waited long enough without any communication with the staff as to where our food was or even where our drinks were.
after an hour and a quarter we decided to leave and on the way out my partner approached the barman and mentioned that the food or drink we had ordered hadn't arrived and we were leaving. He then offered us a drink on the house, which we refused as we had decided we had waited long enough and were intending to leave.
So I cannot comment on the food because it never arrived! This place has awful customer service. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.

• Visited April 2011
4 Thank jenny_taylor67
Bridport, United Kingdom
“oh dear oh dear”
Reviewed 8 April 2011

Me and my wife decied too go for a meal here we thought the amosthere was loverly but the food and service not soo much.
The waiters and waitress had no manners and the food was not at the standard that we had paid for it.

• Visited March 2011
2 Thank DMouse_11
Woking, United Kingdom
“Very poor food and far from authentic”
Reviewed 16 March 2011

My partner and I visited here tonight when we stopped in Lyme Regis after visiting a friend earlier on. Not much was open, probably due to the season, but we liked the look of the menu her, and I love a good Italian, so thinking it seemed fairly authentic we thought we would give it a whirl.

Great drinks menu with peroni on tap and nice wine list so figured it could only get better....

I ordered the pork saltimbocca, which after reading the menu sounded like it would be strips of pork, wrapped in parma ham, with boiled (seasoned I’d hoped!) new potatoes, olives and a tomato and mozzarella salad. It also said it would come with a garnish which I’d anticipated to be the token piece of salad you usually get on the side but leave which was fine with me. My partner ordered the Rustica pizza with feta, olives and pesto on.

When my dinner came, I was truly surprised. If you eat with your eyes....you won’t eat here! It was a large strip of lettuce down the middle of the plate, with what looked like 4 chipolatas in the middle. A row of under ripe sliced tomato with a token bit of mozzarella between each slice and salt over it which lay down the whole side of the plate. Then to top it off some cubed new potatoes with a load of olives thrown over the top (no seasoning in sight) and a sauce that could only resemble the chow mein I had in my local Chinese last week. It was beyond poor. In fact, I ate one of the saltimbocca and my partner pointed out as I was about to eat it, half a cocktail stick was hanging out. Nice of them to remove these.

My partners pizza was well cooked but very salty. It was eaten however as I was starving so I finished it off.

I didn’t feel I could complain through the meal even when I was asked twice how my meal was I just politely smiled and said fine, so I’m my own worst enemy. However I did tell the waitress when she came to collect the plates that the quality was poor and the dish was bad. She partly asked the problem and I began with the potatoes to which she said shall I get the chef. To be honest, I wasn’t in the mood for confrontation, so said no. When I got the bill, I went to pay and was told they were sorry I didn’t enjoy my food but was I still happy to pay the bill. This did surprise me, because in all my years of waitressing I’d have never asked such a question, especially if you want to try and get a customer to come back.

All in all, I wouldn’t recommend this place to anyone unless you need a quick fix pizza. I wouldn’t have given that Saltimbocca to my dog. I would say you get what you pay for, but at £30 for a terrible meal, you certainly don’t.

• Visited March 2011