“worth it”

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Cobham, United Kingdom
“worth it”
Reviewed 1 November 2010

My partner and I were recommended this restaurant by a local and decided that it was worth a visit on our first night in the bay! Whilst I can understand some of the other opinions and realize that on an off night this place could be more of a miss than a hit, I have to say it is worth a visit!

The staff who seated us were sort of friendly, in a towns folk no nonsense way but the food really does what it sais on the tin! the starters of garlic bread with cheese were well prepared and lovely and my pizza (vegetarian with local ham added) was the best pizza I have ever tasted - cooked to perfection and moorish - I only wish I could have a pizza place like it nearby - the chain restaurants are american pizza churn outs.. but the pizza here is worth the visit, go here if you want a reasonable dinner but not of you're expecting something quaint and individual!

I do have to say that My partners carbonara was in no way in the same league as my pizza, it was average at best!

1 Thank miablue

United Kingdom
“Absolutely awful!!!”
Reviewed 27 October 2010

On a recent stay in Lyme my wife and I made the mistake of popping in to this "restaurant" for our anniversary meal. After being shown in to the back room past the bar we were greeted with shabby tables which had not been cleared and cleaned even though the waiting staff didn't seem that busy. Other diners must have been waiting for ages as they had begun asking eachother Trivial Pursuit questions from cards that were distributed on each table (what does that tell you about the length of wait you can expect).
After ordering our meals we had a wait of approximately 40 mins to receive what can only be described as very disappointing dishes. One dish was so full of anchovies as to be all but inedible. When we left and paid our bill we queried if the chef was Italian and was told " of an Italian family". The kitchen staff may have been busy but the waiting staff were definitely at a loose end, but obviously didn't want to clear too many tables.
A really dreadful experience and one I hope nobody else has to suffer.

1 Thank UK-Italy-Fan
hereford
“Over all very good indeed.”
Reviewed 3 October 2010

We were camping nearby and booked here after hearing good things. Simple layout, really good music and atmosphere. All of our party were impressed with the food and the wine was perfect. Everything is cooked just right and tasty with generous portions. The waiting staff could be more cheery and my friend also had a pizza dropped on him by a waiter on his 1st night! We didnt complain and there was no deduction from bill which was a shame, but the chef/boss did come out and apologise and one free lemoncello drink was provided - which we all shared! These things happen I suppose and we even went back the next night for the lovely food. Service was better on this night. We all had puddings this time which were excellent. Highly recommended.......just beware of the runaway pizzas!

1 Thank GreedyGutsLtd
Yorkshire, UK
“some of the best food we have ever tasted”
Reviewed 2 September 2010

This is a simply furnished restaurant which serves some of the best food we have ever tasted. Our starters were calamari and whitebait : both were cooked to perfection. We both had pizza for the main course and both pizzas were well-cooked and delicious.

The staff were friendly, service was quick, and even though the decoration is simple there is a good atmosphere. If we ever visit Lyme Regis again we will definitely return to this restaurant.

1 Thank Hilary111
Derby
“food nice but customer service appalling”
Reviewed 2 September 2010

A group of 10 of us visited this restaurant when we were away for the weekend. The ambience was pleasant and the menu offered the usual sort of fare for an Italian style restaurant. We all ordered pizzas and they were ready after about 20 minutes which was fine. Unfortunately when the waitress came to serve mine she dropped it and it fell on my leg! I've been a waitress previously and I know that accidents happen so that wasn't a problem, however after a perfunctory apology she disappeared to collect the other pizzas. I went to the toilet to wipe the pizza off my trousers and cool down my scalded leg. When I returned I expected her to come over to check if I was ok but she didn't. After a wait of approx 10 mins, by which time the rest of the party had almost finished their meals, I was given a replacement pizza. When the bill came at the end of the meal we were amazed to see that they hadn't deducted the price of my pizza. I went to see the manager to express my disappointment pointing out that not only should I have got the food free but also that I hadn't received much of an apology, my trousers were stained and my leg was scalded! He didn't seem at all interested, he just said that he'd check the situation with the waitress. Eventually the bill was ungraciously returned to us with the pizza deducted.

The food at the restaurant was pretty good but I would never recommend it to anyone as the customer care was non existent. In these difficult financial times restaurant staff should be falling over themselves to treat customers well - if this restaurant doesn't buck its ideas up then it'll go the same way as many others. I suggest that the manager and staff go on a decent customer service course and then start all over again!