Devonia Guest House
The George Inn(Chardstock)
US$114
Priceline
  • Restaurant
All reviewstasty cooked breakfastbreakfast roombiscuitsguest housefull englishperfect hostsoff road parkingsingle roomfeel very welcometoastportland billlittle extraslyme baygreat weekendsea frontlovely breakfastfresh fruit salad
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the Devonia. Lindsey and Gail were extremely nice and helpful. We arrived around 7pm and Lindsey advised us to head into town soon in order to get a bite to eat before everything closed up. His recommendations of where to go were spot on. Breakfast was great and very vegetarian friendly for my wife. The room, a "standard" double was very large, spotless and homey. The bathroom and shower were excellent. I highly recommend this place.s

Room Tip: The standard double with a front view was very nice
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I stayed for two nights. I found Lindsey and Gail welcoming and friendly, and most crucially, alert and cheerful in the morning. I liked my room which was very clean, convenient, and rather large. My room had tea and coffee making facilities along with some packaged cookies. I was told about snacks and milk available in the breakfast room. The ensuite bathroom had modern fixtures, a great shower enclosure and comfy towels, and it was spotless.

Breakfast is indeed a highlight at Devonia. Gail makes her own jam and marmalade, and the bread was home made too. Full English breakfast was cooked just right both days, and they gave me delicious coffee.

I just loved where this guesthouse is located, which is basically up a steep hill from the center of town. When the weather is fine there is a great view over the bay to Golden Cap. Before I arrived Lindsey advised me where to ask the bus driver to let me off - I was glad to be spared dragging my suitcase uphill from the center of town.

I came to Lyme Regis to hunt fossils but had chosen suboptimally regarding tides and weather. Lindsey advised me on best bets looking for fossils and also on a nice walk on part of the Southwest Coastal Path. This walk through part of the undercliff was like seeing an English rainforest, and I am grateful to him for telling me how to get there. On my last day they let me keep my suitcase in the front hall after checkout so that I could make the most of my time in Lyme Regis. My impression is that Lindsey and Gail did all they could to make my visit to Lyme Regis a success.

I wish I could have stayed longer, and if I can visit Lyme Regis again I will check here first for availability. Lindsey and Gail clearly know what it takes to make guests comfortable and feel welcome, and they make the effort to do this well. Wonderful proprietors and a great experience at Devonia Guest House.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank tr0utlily
Reviewed 7 October 2013

The Devonia is situated high in Lyme Regis, with fabulous views towards Golden Cap from the best room in the house high in the attic. The sunrise was stunning to watch from the sofa in the dormer window and at sunset, it looked like the cliff's were showered with gold! The room is large with a very comfy bed and a very large en-suite with a bath and shower. Our 2 nights were very restful. The house was sparkling clean in all respects and the wifi worked in all areas. The Devonia also has good off road parking.

Gale and Lindsey are fine welcoming hosts and have plenty of knowledge of the surrounding area. Their breakfasts are proper breakfasts with plenty of choice that should suit all.

We had a lovely weekend in Lyme Regis and knowing that you have a clean, comfy place to rest your head and fine home cooked breakfasts to greet you the next day, just completed the whole experience. So thank you Gale and Lindsey for making feel very welcome in your home.

We will be back!

Lee & Jill

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2013

A lovely guest house in the picturesque town of Lyme Regis. Proprietors Lindsay & Gail are very welcoming and help to make the whole experience very enjoyable. Only down side is that walk up from the seafront but it helps when working off your dinner!!

Room Tip: Sea view room No 2 is lovely
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We have just returned from a wonderful 3 night stay at the Devonia, and would thoroughly recommend this B&B. We had a really friendly welcome with a tray of tea and some cake, which was just what we needed after a long journey. We stayed 2 nights in room 6, which had a fantastic sea view complete with a sofa to sit on to make the most of it, and was very spacious and spotlessly clean; and spent a third night in room 5, which was smaller but equally well equipped and again spotlessly clean. Lindsey and Gail were the perfect hosts, food was delicious with plenty of choice and included little extra touches like home-made jam and marmalade, fresh milk was available at all times. There is a lovely guest lounge with plenty of reading material and maps - we would definitely return to the Devonia and Lyme Regis - highly recommended.