“Good & Bad makes me feel sad”
Review of Harry Tates - CLOSED

Harry Tates
Cuisines: Seafood, Spanish, British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Harry Tate's is ideally positioned to enjoy the views over Lyme Bay and the Cobb. A fantastic sun terrace provides the ideal venue for continental breakfast, light lunch or romantic dining 'al fresco' Seating 25 inside and 25 on the sun terrace.
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I love food and had heard this was a good restaurant so though I would give it a go the welcome was good and we got to sit outside.

The starters were very good and very big portions white bait was so fresh and the flavour was amazing if you just went for the starters they were good.

The mains unfortunatly weren't I got very excited when I saw Kataplana on the menu as it is one of my favourites and a fish one I thought great unfortunatly it was a big dissapointment.

They had put a perfume flavoured balsamic vinegar in it which over powere everything and ruined what should have been a great dish. The other mains on the menue might have been better but we both had the same so could not judge on anything else. The portion size was big for the main I mean too big really for a rice dish could have been 1/2 the size if the food is good you don't need a massive dish to get value for money make the dish taste good and people will be happy.

I think this is more tourist focused and as long as you order the standard menue food it is good but order specials and not so good as they are not used to cooking it.

For low price and tourist food it is one of the nicer ones in the area.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Although the menu was not massive the food came piping hot,very tasty and really good quality served by friendly staff.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

This Tapas restaurant is tucked away on the 1st floor up a stairway and surprisingly few people seemed to find it. This is despite its prime location with a terrace overlooking Monmouth beach. We arrived at 12:0 and the waitress unfurled a giant parasol which was very welcome after a morning on the beach. The food was excellent value and the service faultless and friendly. We did not sample the tapas menu but went for the "English" lunch options which are priced from around £7 for mains.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

If Justin Timberlake’s ‘Cry me a river’ wasn’t enough to invite me upstairs to Harry Tates Wine Bar and Restaurant, than the Spanish influenced menu board definitely triggered something in me.
The staff were lovely and friendly, and service was quick and welcoming.
We had the choice of sitting outside on el balcon, watching Lyme Regis go by with beautiful views of the coast. Unfortunately, not having the luck of Spanish weather, we ate inside – a nice, if a little cosy, Spanish themed restaurant, with some lovely art work, comfortable seating and a delightful choice of specials displayed on the board.
On our table, you could see the remnants of a fifty year olds birthday party - a ‘50’ shaped confetti stain on the wooden table got me thinking that Harry Tates would be a lovely venue for such a thing. (This is not a dig mind; those confetti stains are stubborn as anything.)

We ordered some tapas to share, which included the battered calamari, cooked to perfection and served with fresh salad and a delicious garlic mayonnaise dip. We also went for the bread and humus, it tasted and looked like it had orange juice in it, delightfully homemade – we dipped the bread until there was not an ounce of it left.

Now, I’m not a big fan of Pizza. But Harry Tates Pizza is the most delicious dough based dish I have ever eaten. We went for the bbq chicken and sweet corn, with the option for extra toppings, we spiced things up a bit Spanish style with Chorizo.

Every last bite was delicious, not too greasy, not over cooked or under cooked, just perfect. Mothers always tell us to eat up our crusts, and even this, perhaps most bland part of the pizza, was delicious.
I became quite protective over the pizza as I watched the slices rapidly decrease in number, until there was only one left. I did the old ‘is anyone going to eat that last slice’ trick, a technique we all use to make our mark on the last bite that we are all too polite to ravish.

When the desert menu was brought over to us by a very friendly and smiley waitress, I had to go for the Belgian Waffle, and when I asked for a recommendation on which topping to go for (besides, Vanilla Ice cream, chocolate sauce, and Bailey’s cream sauce are all very tempting), I was delighted to hear that it came with all three! The waitress looked as happy delivering this good news, as I did receiving it.
Accompanying my very satisfied taste was a Rose’ wine named ‘Woomooloo,’ a soft and fruity rose which tastes as good as the pronunciation.

I highly recommend this Wine Bar and Restaurant, delicious and quality food and drink at prices even the Spanish wouldn’t argue with!

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Took a chance on Harry Tates in Lyme tonight and was so happy we did! Excellent service, very friendly and helpful, gorgeous food, best steak sauce in Lyme (Port and Stilton). Beautiful view. Highly recommend this little gem! Will return. Many thanks for a lovely experience.