“Very Poor” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Royal Standard

The Royal Standard
Ranked #17 of 80 Restaurants in Lyme Regis
Cuisines: Bar, Seafood, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Cheap Eats, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, View, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
UK
“Very Poor”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Impromptu visit to Lyme Regis was largely spoled by our visit to The Royal Standard. First we were overcharged for an item, should have been £11.95, but the waitress tried to charge £15.95, easily remedied. Food took over 50 minutes to be served, despite our chasing it twice, with the waitress advising they were 'very busy'. They didn't seem that busy, and in fact I counted only 4 meals being served in that 50 minutes. The portion for the mussels was really really small, and when my partner compained, she was told that there was 'nothing I can do about it'. I had a good portion, but my chips were cold.

I'll be avoiding in future.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Matt G

• Greek first
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Royal standard should be re-Publican”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Oh such a shame Royal Standard.

After many years of travelling down too and enjoying Lyme, and thereafter looking forward to a decent Sunday lunch at the Standard I am wholly disappointed and surprised by the rubbish being served and the tired service provided

Toughen up.........we are not all older person cash-cows..laddened and.hardened.... ..just like the preprocessed frozen Sunday beef sorts we were served at £9.95

Shameful.. Cannot accept a complaint regardless as to whether the knife or any knife will cut through the mustard...what mustard?

And yes we were number 64 on Sunday 04/05. Two beef ,One child's meal and a Nachos....gone are the days of individual vegetable dishes to share I suppose......Gone ...I guess the need to have..........................................whatever

The Royal Standard - Bored staff engaging with bored customers - offering bored food off a stale menu..............................................................Just Boring

A fiver given in return to appease our complaint. Thank you

• Visited May 2014
Letchworth, United Kingdom
“Disappointed ”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Despite a sign on the window showing the food serving times as 12-9 on weekends and public holidays on bank holiday Monday they were not serving food till 5.30 .... It's a shame as we always eat in there when we visit lyme but it has put me off had they of stated that on the window we would of eaten earlier instead we have had a hungry drive home. Staff not apologetic just carried on their conversation .... I wonder if the place has been taken over as this is not normal behaviour in the royal standard staff are usually very friendly.

1 Thank RandR_K26
Honiton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

We booked for a table of 10 for my friends birthday party on a Tuesday night at the Royal Standard. It wasn't really busy and We ordered our starters at 7pm but waited 45 minutes for them to arrive. I ordered Stilton and mushroom brushetta, when it arrived it was a slightly toasted baguette with melted Stilton and a couple of slices of mushrooms on top. My friend ordered lambs liver pate which tasted like fish, she sent it back and was offered a refund or to change for something else without any quibble but no apology. The rest of the starters were fine.
The three children enjoyed their main meals, they were really big kids meals.
Then we waited and waited and waited for our main meals. Everyone around us seemed to be being served but still we waited. At 8.30 we asked how long our meals would be and they told us 10 minutes,at 8.45 we asked when our meals would be here and they said 2 more minutes. At 9pm we asked for our money back. We had to get the children home to bed and were no longer hungry. The bar man rudely slammed the refund on the bar. We had been offered no apology and no explanation at any point. Such a shame on my fiends birthday to have such poor service.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank juliasturley
Lyme Regis, United Kingdom
“Good food, expensive but best around”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Nice location just back from the beach. Food is very good although large portions mean best to have only starters. Expensive. Lamb burger really homemade and thai mussels are delicious cannot recommend highly enough. Ambience is bit tired decor wise but bar staff friendly enough. Certainly the best we've been to in Lyme.

1 Thank TheAngeM