“Excellent stay”

Ranked #19 of 47 Lyme Regis B&B and Inns
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Excellent stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

I stayed here for a night and had a lovely welcome, the room was great had a lovely view. The evening meal was delicious I had the fish and chips the breakfast was even better a lot to choose from lovely fresh fruit followed by a full English breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Chard, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

Having met a couple of friends and my daughter at Lyme, we decided to go to The Cobb Arms for a few drinks ,as my daughter was staying there for the night.She was very pleased with her room. We had a lovely and relaxed time and the staff seemed really upbeat and helpful .Apparently the breakfasts are to die for!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Taunton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

4 friends and I met at the Cobb Arms on the evening of 23 October 2013. We had had a meal there in March 2013 and the whole experience had been very good, but something has now drastically changed.
There was no welcome whosever.
When we sat down at our table, no one came to take our order like they had done in the previous visit. A lad came over to say if we wanted food to order soon as the kitchen would be closing. We did say that last time we visited someone had come over and taken our order, (this didn't get a response) so that's why we were sat waiting. There was nothing wrote up or on the menus to say you had to order at the bar.
We asked to have the lad's order pad so we could write down our order, which we did - isn't there something wrong with this situation!
I would like to point out the place was very quiet.
Our food arrived and initial reactions was great, very nice, I had a pan fried mushrooms to start, followed by beef lasagne. The starter was cleared away quickly but the main courses plates just sat there.
The staff seemed more interested in their Halloween decorations than being attentive to the only customers they had. The plates were finally cleared, deserts weren't offered.
Just as we had come to the conclusion that even though the service was awful the food was good.
My stomach started to groan and let's just say everything that had just been eaten there came shooting out. I know this wasn't just my body/bug as I had eaten out the night before without an issue (please read my glowing review of the Eagle Tavern) and this had happened to quickly. I mentioned this to a staff member as we were paying, all he could mumble was "sorry about that" so from the tone he really couldn't care a jot, just got his calculator out! The 30 mile drive home and during the night wasn't pleasant.
I would avoid this place. The slogan on the wall says you are visiting the famous Cobb arms, famous for what exactly!!
If the owners are reading this, please ditch the young staff members who couldn't care less, a big pumpkin isn't going to pay the bills despite what they think. Please look at the food, food should process in the body for a lot longer than 30 mins.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Helen P
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

A lovely place to stay. The room was cosy and quiet - we could look out at The Cobb from the window. A fabulous shower, and a really comfy bed was definitely what I needed after a stressful day at work and the drive down to Lyme.
The food was delicious, the staff were friendly and helpful and the atmosphere was welcoming and relaxed.
Breakfast was a feast!! Fruit and yoghurt, cereals, a full English and toast and jams were all on offer.
I will return before Christmas - an escape to somewhere as nice as this is a real tonic.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Somerset, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

Great all round place to stay in a beautiful location.Food tasted superb and was of good quality.Great value for money.Excellent service from friendly efficient staff.Breakfast equally as gorgeous!Lovely cozy rooms with everything you need and comfortable beds. Would definitely return and would highly recommend!!

Stayed October 2013
Somerton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

Have never before eaten fish that came with a piece of wire wedged inside. Staff need to check that food is safe before serving it to customers. We love visiting Lyme Regis but the Cobb Arms is spoiling the reputation of the place with its disregard for safe food.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Gravesend, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

Being a coeliac I was amazed to find a "pub" with such a choice of gluten-free meals. What a delight to be able to enjoy the food without the worry of wondering if it was alright for me. And the fish and chips - what can I say? Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple