“Pluses and Minuses”

Ranked #22 of 47 Lyme Regis B&B and Inns
Redditch, England, United Kingdom
“Pluses and Minuses”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

On arrival we were greeted by a very pleasant lady. We were shown to our room (number 1) which, on first inspection looked fine. However, we noted that there was no milk on the drink tray and the room was cold. The lady said that the window had been open all day so we thought no more about it. We went out for the evening and on our return the room was still very cold and we could not get the heating to work. My partner went to get some milk and asked how the heating worked, only to be told that the heating was set to 20 degrees and as the rest of hotel was at that temperature the heating had gone off and we were told to put jumpers/cardigans on!. Once we explained that I am on medication which makes me feel cold, the proprietor did put the thermostat up to 21, came into the room to ensure the heating was working and a short while later, brought us a heater which could have been left on all night if needed. Maybe the heating was more of an issue because it was November and this would not be a problem in the summer months. The bedside light fitting was very loose - it is noted that a previous review mentions this in the same room. Do they read the reviews and act upon them? The bed was very soft which was comfy at first but I woke up very stiff and in pain - I am used to a firm mattress, so isn't the hotel's fault per se.
We found no fault at all with the breakfast, one full english and one scrambled egg on toast with mushrooms - both thoroughly enjoyed.
Yes, the decor is a little tired, and could do with a bit of tarting up, but it isn't that bad.
Overall, we would go back again as the staff were very friendly and, once my situation was explained, the proprietor was extremely helpful - Thank you.

Room Tip: Our room was on the ground floor front - noisy until the secondary double glazing was closed and it...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Kapaau, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

I booked the Kersbrook for two nights and ended up extending my stay for an entire week (if you stay this long, they also have weekly rates). Only after I had arrived did I see the not-so-positive reviews online, and I am glad I did not see them beforehand as it may have swayed decision!

Everything about my stay here was absolutely positive. Alex and Alison (and their children) are an extreme pleasure to be around and they did everything to accommodate me. Upon arrival, I was given my pick of the rooms since the hotel was pretty quiet at the time. At first, I thought that maybe I did not have hot water, but Alison came up to the room and got the tricky shower head working for me and it was perfect the rest of my stay. Upon getting it working, she assured me that if I had anymore problems with it, that I could move into a different room.

If you are looking for the feel of a chain hotel with sterile rooms void of personality, then this place is not for you. If you appreciate the cozy feeling of tastefully decorated rooms, each one different, with vintage furniture and brimming with character, then definitely stay here.

The location is great as well--it is about a 3 minute walk into downtown Lyme and about 5 minutes down to the Cobb. I will wholeheartedly recommend any of my friends and family to stay at Kersbrook--it is an absolute gem!

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Laurenlubo
Oxford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

As the entry below was from a member of our family party we feel it necessary to give what we consider to be a more balanced viewpoint.

Firstly and possibly most importantly, this is a 200 year old building with character and no comparison to a modern hotel should be made but we do agree that some aspects could do with a revitalisation.

These guests were the last to arrive so they probably got the last choice of room available that night, from a collective booking of four rooms for that night, increasing to six rooms for the following two nights. All the room's facilities were clearly stated on the web site so it was just pot luck which room was left available for them.

The bedding is a justified comment as we ourselves (in our 60’s) really struggled with the weight and restriction of the tucked in sheets and blankets. However both the bedding and the bed was of a good quality and the bed covering (duvet or blankets) could be just down to taste.

The breakfast menu was extensive and cooked to order but not always to everyone’s liking. Fresh fruit, cereals and yogurts were available every morning for those who did not want a cooked breakfast, along with orange and tomato juice as well as the usual tea and coffee. Goats milk was also specially supplied as a part of this guests dietary requirements.

We found the owners very friendly, helpful, courteous and accommodating, especially while trying to arrange this six room family Birthday celebration break with all the difficulties associated with a fluid situation as to when busy party members can arrive as well as late changes to party numbers.

They were very helpful in recommending restaurants for our special celebrations and showing us an example of a room while on a fact finding visit a month earlier.

Wi-fi was available in all rooms and ours was pleasent, bright and comfortable for our needs.

We understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion but using the word terrible and advising others as 'dont stay here' in the room selection tips is unjust and uncalled for.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Barrie B
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

I don't enjoy writing reviews like this but I have to share our experience. We stayed here for 3 days for a weekend away, with the family. On arrival to the B&B the owner seemed a little annoyed that we had arrived so late - 8pm. The rooms are stuck in the 1930 with a serious need for modernisation and general up keep. The beds are so uncomfortable and they don't use duvets but use layers of sheets and blankets which is just so annoying - this shows the 'age' of the place. We didn't have a proper shower only a bath with a shower fitted to a very low wall, so to have a shower you had to sit down in the bath! How ridiculous! Breakfast was bearable, just, but I didn't choose the cooked, my husband did and most mornings he was disappointed. We were told that there was a bar and a lounge area but it was not set up so you could feel comfortable or relaxed. The whole place had a very strange smell and to top it all it's not cheap, we paid about £95 a night! I can't understand some of the other reviews. We would never return.

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
11 Thank CSomersetBrock

Travellers are raving about these Lyme Regis hotels

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

I stayed here on a 4 day break with my Wife. The house itself is an old thatched cottage which keeps much of its original features with an interesting and mature garden. The room was clean and comfortable. The staff were all friendly and efficient serving breakfast which was excellent. The rather mismatched furniture gives the place a more homely atmosphere than you would get in a hotel chain where all the rooms are made from an identikit package. I would definitely recommend this B&B

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Feock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Our whole experience with this family run B&B/hotel has been very positive.From the initial booking telephone call to our departure, we experienced nothing but courteous, helpful,and friendly service.
We stayed for 3 nights in family room No 1 and found all the facilities clean and acceptable, bearing in mind the constraints of a very old and thatched propertyThe breakfasts were something to look forward to, and freshly cooked to order,served by pleasant young ladies.
It was not until the last morning that I discovered how to open the window!! my fault entirely and young Mr Davis was very kind with this reviewers's ignorance!
one small point is the bedside light fixture is loose and needs attention.

Room Tip: Do not expect an all mod cons boutique hotel,just a charming cottage offering clean rooms and a goo...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Solihull
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

Lovely B&B in a lovely town, very nice proprietors. Lovely building but the decor is a little tired but doesn't ruin your stay. The accommodation is adequate. I would recommend this B&B for its location and very friendly owners.

• Stayed October 2013
#7 of 47 in Lyme Regis
Westwood Guest House
Westwood Guest House
#3 of 47 in Lyme Regis

Been to Kersbrook Guest Accommodation? Share your experiences!