“birthday break”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lyme Regis
The Royal Lion Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Lyme Regis
Ashford, United Kingdom
“birthday break”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Royal Lion for along weekend recently as it was his birthday. Our first meeting with reception staff was with the pleasant and helpful Michelle, who showed us to our room, pointing out bar, restaurant, swimming pool etc., on the way. Our room was fine and light, with a high ceiling and a balcony with a sea view. The bathroom was adequate although the shower was very feeble, the water pressure really bad which made hair washing a lengthy business as the flow was so small it took ages to rinse. We had dinner on the first night in the restaurant which was delightful and again the staff were friendly and attentive without being too much. The food was delicious and later we moved down to the bar where again very pleasant staff served us a nightcap. We had our dinner in the bar one evening and that too was very tasty. We managed to fit in a lovely swim in the indoor pool and relaxed in the Jacuzzi. All in all a very enjoyable stay in a hotel perfectly situated. The car park is a bonus as parking in Lyme is very restricted. All in all a good place to spend some lazy time, with most pleasant staff.

1 Thank Wendy G
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Dear Wendy G

It is appreciated that you took the time to write a review of your stay at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was pleased to learn how much you had enjoyed all aspects of your time with us.

I share all feedback with the team and it is always nice to be able to pass on such positive comments. All the staff work hard to ensure that guest expectations are met and were possible exceeded, however to read that Michelle made you so welcome upon arrival is very pleasing indeed.

I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome once again very soon.

Mark Dridge MIH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We came back again for the 5th time. The room was superb (balcony room) but we were upgraded and would not paid spent the cost of it if we had not been - very pricy! There was a view and the room was spacious and light. What I really don't like is how the prices rocket for half term - we managed to avoid it as I now only work part time but it seems like a tax on teachers!!
The restuarant, as always, was superb for dinner - the choice is excellent, service good and the food always lovely. Breakfast was fine, although the poached eggs were a little hard and the bacon a bit greasy; not enough to be a problem. However, I really can't understand why coffee is served with cold milk at breakfast - the coffee is strong (a good thing) but gets cold if you add enough cold milk. I asked for warm milk each time and once was given a huge pot of it - all that is needed is a small jug of warm milk with coffee, without having to ask!
Not enough to cause a problem - we will be back again, I'm sure, as we love the town and the hotel. A special mention for Michelle on reception, who was most pleasant and helpful.

2 Thank Sarah N
Dear Sarah N

Thank you for completing a review of your recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was delighted to read your feedback about your time with us.

Your comments about your upgraded room, how spacious and light it was and how much you enjoyed the view, along with your feedback about the excellent choice, good service and lovely food are much appreciated. I have already taken the opportunity to pass on your positive review to Michelle and all the team involved in ensuring your stay was such a success.

I look forward to welcoming you back, once again, in the not too distant future.

Chesterfield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Only stayed for one night - but it was perfect. The only downside was that the car park was full but we managed to get a space in the public one next door - although had to be up at 8 to ticket it ! The food was lovely - service was excellent and an ideal location.

2 Thank Lizzie101_11
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear Lizzie101_11

Thank you for your feedback via trip advisor about your recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was happy to learn that you had enjoyed a perfect one night stay with us.

I was however a little disappointed to read you had been unable to find a car parking space, as we are committed to ensuring every guest receives complimentary parking during their stay, and on this occasion we have fallen short on meeting this expectation and the usual high standard of hospitality we set ourselves at The Royal Lion Hotel. On a more positive note however I was glad you felt that the food was lovely and that the service you received was excellent.

I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you once again in the not too distant future.

Banstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

Stopped here for lunch. An old building with rather faded interior, well kept beer and reasonable food. They could do better in that homemade fish cakes had little flavour and were very small when you consider they charge £12 for them. These prices are why places like Wetherspoons do so well.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear LargelyMonk

It is appreciated that you have taken the time to complete a trip advisor review, the comments from which help us to identify where we may improve the standard of service to our guests at The Royal Lion Hotel.

The management team and I review all feedback to ensure that the appropriate action is undertaken relating to guest’s comments and suggestions. I have raised your points regarding the fish cakes with our Head Chef, and asked him to ensure further work is done to ensure this item meets guest’s expectations in both flavour and quality.

Once again we thank you for your comments and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Royal Lion Hotel, in the near future.

East Grinstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed here for two nights to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. Our traditional room was clean, comfortable, quiet and full of character. We were welcomed and shown to our room by a friendly, smart receptionist. During our stay we enjoyed a drink in the cosy bar and enjoyed good food and excellent service for our anniversary meal in the Oak Room Restaurant. We also enjoyed relaxing in the comfortable lounge after our meal. The Hotel is situated in the centre of town and is easy walking to the sea front, and is ideal for visiting other sites in Dorset. The car park entrance is a bit awkward and there are just enough spaces for guests but this was not a problem. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hfoster
Dear hfoster

Thank you for your completing a review of your recent experience at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was delighted to learn how much you had enjoyed your stay.

The team and I review all feedback and on this occasion we were pleased to receive your positive comments about your room, our Inn, and how much you had enjoyed your food. I was also glad to read that you would highly recommend the hotel to others.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to The Royal Lion Hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for just one night (unfortunately). Absolutely smashing place. Real olde English style hotel. A refreshing change from the big chain hotels. A quaint, charming place in a lovely town. Food was wonderful, bar is lovely and staff very helpful and courteous. Thoroughly recommended for couples or a family weekend break.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Dermot Q
Dear Dermot Q

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about your recent visit to The Royal Lion Hotel. I was so pleased to learn that your only disappointment was that you could stay only one night.

The team and I do our utmost to ensure that The Royal Lion Hotel offer the best in traditional hospitality, in keeping with both this historic landmark building and the town. I was delighted you had found both the food and our Inn lovely and all the team so very helpful and courteous. I was also thrilled to read that you would thoroughly recommend the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Lion Hotel on many future occasions.

Dormston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We walked in off the street looking for a room for the night and had been recommended this Hotel by a local shopkeeper. Jayne at reception went out of her way to give us an upgraded room for the standard price and after declining the King Edward room, because I felt the bed might be a bit small, we settled on room 18.
This is a large very well appointed room with a full size bathroom - all of the highest standard and a delight to be in.
We ate in the bar and the food was pretty much ok as was the beer. Breakfast was good.
This is a nice Hotel perfectly situated in the centre of town and just a stones throw to the beach and one which we would hope to visit again.
Apart from Jayne we were equally impressed by the service we received from Colette at reception, the Manager who sorted out my wife's problem with the heating and the young lady who served us at the bar.

1 Thank Rodger R
Dear Rodger R

Thank you for recent review of your stay at The Royal Lion Hotel, I was delighted to read your positive comments about your experience.

I was glad to learn you and your wife had found your room so comfortable and that you had enjoyed your dinner in our Inn and also breakfast. I have already passed on your feedback to Jayne, Collette and all the team involved in ensuring your time with us was such a success.

I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you both to The Royal Lion Hotel once again in the not too distant future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyme Regis
#2 of 10 in Bridport
Dorset House
Dorset House
#1 of 45 in Lyme Regis

Been to The Royal Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!