“First Class”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lyme Regis
The Royal Lion Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Lyme Regis
Reviewed 8 December 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Royal Lion last weekend and had a fantastic time! The staff were an absolute pleasure throughout, we were welcomed like old friends and they could not have been more attentive.

The Friday night we spent relaxing in the bar and enjoyed the Steak meal that was cooked exactly to order and clearly included a quality cut of beef. Behind the bar Jordan and Gareth couldn't have been more helpful, rapidly identifying the round and taking great pleasure from starting to prepare it was we approached.

The room we stayed in was exactly as you would expect; clean, well presented and ideal for a couple, however it was the view that made this such a special place to spend the night. Both mornings of our stay we awoke early to watch the sunrise, one on a perfectly clear day and the other morning cloudy but each was equally stunning and to be remembered.

On the Saturday evening we booked to eat in the restaurant, where Michael could not have been more attentive, and the girls serving more pleasant, Holly and Michelle spring to mind but everyone was really keen for us to have a good time. The food was excellent! I enjoyed the Parfait, Guinea Fowl and Cheese and Biscuit and could fault none!

We didn't have chance to use the pool or the sauna but will when we return! Rachel at reception bid us farewell, and even now my wife and I are talking about what a special weekend we had.

Thank you Royal Lion, we will be back........soon!

Room Tip: We had room number 34 and it was perfect
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve D
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Steve D

Thank you for your feedback via Trip Advisor about your recent visit to The Royal Lion Hotel. I am genuinely delighted and proud to learn how much you enjoyed your time with us.

Though I am aware how hard all the team work to ensure that guests expectations are met, and where possible exceeded during their stay, it is always a great pleasure to receive such a glow endorsement of the team’s efforts.

I have already taken the time to share your review with the team, Jordan and Gareth for the excellent level of service afforded you on the first evening and our head housekeeper and her team for ensuring your balcony room met with your expectations. I have also passed on your comments to Michael, Holly, Michelle and the team in Oak Room Restaurant for their attentive service, our chef for guaranteeing quality food on both evenings, and Rachel for who made sure you were given a fond farewell.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you and you wife once again to The Royal Lion Hotel, in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a rare night away from the kids. The reception staff were lovely, showed us our room, the pool, the bar etc. Our room turned out to be next door to someone with a dog and they were really happy to move us to a different, better, room. We stayed in the bar for drinks and dinner and, again the staff were great and the food was good. But at breakfast we ordered scrambled eggs with smoked salmon. What came out was not what we'd anticipated. Eggs had been dumped on top of two slabs of smoked salmon - no toast, and the salmon not cooked in with the eggs. I totally realise this may sound petty, but a good breakfast is important, and no love had been given to this food. When we sent them back asking for the menu to choose something else the kitchen manager (?) stormed out of the kitchen, telling us this was how it was prepared and asking us in a very aggressive tone to choose something else. We had quite the stand off before he left the table. After this, breakfast was no fun. When I mentioned this exchange as we were checking out, the woman was nearly sympathetic but offered no recompense to make us feel better. It was only when I suggested money off might be nice that she removed the cost of the meal. We won't be returning to what was otherwise a decent hotel, in a good location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road, but ask not to be in the dog section. Unless you have a dog...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear HelenB58320

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about your stay at The Royal Lion Hotel, the comments from which help us to identify where we may improve the standard of our service to our guests.

I am most disappointed to read that your experience at The Royal Lion Hotel was not as it should have been. We all take great pride in providing our guests with the highest standards of service and for this reason we are sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations on this occasion.

Please be assured that your experience is not representative of our usual standards of service and I do hope that you will reconsider and return to The Royal Lion Hotel as I am sure that you will find the service to be much improved.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

We cannot fault the service on arrival, someone helped us find a parking space and the receptionist was excellent, friendly and very enthusiastic. The rooms were neat and clean, nothing spectacular but served a purpose. The hotel is centrally located so excellent for local shops and restaurants. We ate in the hotel restaurant on the first night, to be honest we found the food average and the service a little brusque but certainly not rude. The bar staff are efficient although not particularly friendly. All in all a good centrally located hotel, with clean rooms at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Susie_Stevie

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at The Royal Lion Hotel. I am disappointed to learn that though your overall experience had been satisfactory, our restaurant and The Inn fell below your expectations.

Let me immediately apologise, on this occasion we have not reached the high standards of guest hospitality we set ourselves at The Royal Lion Hotel. The management team and I review all feedback to ensure that the appropriate action is undertaken. I have therefore discussed your comments with both our Head Chef and Restaurant & Bar Manager and asked them to take steps to ensure these lapses in detail are corrected through the appropriate training with the team.

I do hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to The Royal Lion Hotel once again in the near future, when I know the team will take the opportunity to shine.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Spent a couple of nights at the Royal Lion Hotel last week, and had a really nice time.

We were travelling as a family group for my mother in law's 80th birthday and had rooms 1 to 4, which share a terrace area.

From the moment we arrived, nothing was too much trouble for the hotel manager, who went out of his way to make our stay as comfortable as possible, and looked after all of our specific needs for the celebrations, including setting out a table for 16 relatives, Bucks Fizz for breakfast and even laid an extra barman for us.

The hotel itself is quite a large traditional beamed hotel, which was very well equipped with a pool, jacuzzi, sauna, snooker table, table tennis table. The breakfast and dinner in the upstairs restaurant were very good, as was the simple but more than adequate bar menu in the bar area. I can also highly recommend the 'Otter Bitter' they sell at the bar too!

This was my first trip to Lyme Regis, and hopefully not my last! If you decide the visit the town, you would not go wrong by booking this hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2013

Dear Ken W

Thank you for your review of your recent family event at The Royal Lion hotel, Lyme Regis. I was so pleased to learn that you had a really nice time with us.

It is always a pleasure to welcome returning guests, and even more so when you choose to stay with us for such special events as you did in this case. I was delighted to read your comments and have passed on your feedback to all the team involved in ensuring your stay and the birthday celebrations were so memorable and successful.

I look forward to welcoming you to The Royal Lion Hotel next time you visit Lyme Regis.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We only stayed the night and the quaint setting, a stroll from the sea and in the hub of the town makes this place an ideal place to hold up.

The staff were faultless and friendly and our room was perfect.

We only had breakfast there and whilst it was ideal, I want to add this: around the corner in Coombe Street is a wonderful bakery and in the area are sources of great local produce. I wonder why therefore, the hotel does not source its bread from such a place as opposed to what everyone else does, and use a normal loaf?

A hotel like this could really aid the local area and forge great links in my view and whilst this would not stop me staying here and I would recommend this hotel. Maybe other things like eggs or bacon they do get locally but for me a good hotel like this could really take a stand and raise up expectations of guests as I have seen some hotels do around the world in this regard.

But its a very good place to stay and unwind over a few local brews thankfully as opposed to some of the more gassy fizz from corporate-brewers!

Room Tip: There is a pool and sauna which will be useful for some! Exit the hotel and turn left to the sea...
1  Thank LoftusroadW12

Dear LotusroadW12

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to The Royal Lion Hotel. I was so pleased to learn that overall you had very much enjoyed your stay was such a success, the staff friendly and your room perfect.

With regards to your comments about breakfast items, I can assure you that we are continually striving to improve our offering and the chef is committed to increasing our locally sources produce were ever possible, to improve the guests experience.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Lion Hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Royal Lion for along weekend recently as it was his birthday. Our first meeting with reception staff was with the pleasant and helpful Michelle, who showed us to our room, pointing out bar, restaurant, swimming pool etc., on the way. Our room was fine and light, with a high ceiling and a balcony with a sea view. The bathroom was adequate although the shower was very feeble, the water pressure really bad which made hair washing a lengthy business as the flow was so small it took ages to rinse. We had dinner on the first night in the restaurant which was delightful and again the staff were friendly and attentive without being too much. The food was delicious and later we moved down to the bar where again very pleasant staff served us a nightcap. We had our dinner in the bar one evening and that too was very tasty. We managed to fit in a lovely swim in the indoor pool and relaxed in the Jacuzzi. All in all a very enjoyable stay in a hotel perfectly situated. The car park is a bonus as parking in Lyme is very restricted. All in all a good place to spend some lazy time, with most pleasant staff.

1  Thank Wendy G

Dear Wendy G

It is appreciated that you took the time to write a review of your stay at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was pleased to learn how much you had enjoyed all aspects of your time with us.

I share all feedback with the team and it is always nice to be able to pass on such positive comments. All the staff work hard to ensure that guest expectations are met and were possible exceeded, however to read that Michelle made you so welcome upon arrival is very pleasing indeed.

I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome once again very soon.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

We came back again for the 5th time. The room was superb (balcony room) but we were upgraded and would not paid spent the cost of it if we had not been - very pricy! There was a view and the room was spacious and light. What I really don't like is how the prices rocket for half term - we managed to avoid it as I now only work part time but it seems like a tax on teachers!!
The restuarant, as always, was superb for dinner - the choice is excellent, service good and the food always lovely. Breakfast was fine, although the poached eggs were a little hard and the bacon a bit greasy; not enough to be a problem. However, I really can't understand why coffee is served with cold milk at breakfast - the coffee is strong (a good thing) but gets cold if you add enough cold milk. I asked for warm milk each time and once was given a huge pot of it - all that is needed is a small jug of warm milk with coffee, without having to ask!
Not enough to cause a problem - we will be back again, I'm sure, as we love the town and the hotel. A special mention for Michelle on reception, who was most pleasant and helpful.

2  Thank Sarah N

Dear Sarah N

Thank you for completing a review of your recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was delighted to read your feedback about your time with us.

Your comments about your upgraded room, how spacious and light it was and how much you enjoyed the view, along with your feedback about the excellent choice, good service and lovely food are much appreciated. I have already taken the opportunity to pass on your positive review to Michelle and all the team involved in ensuring your stay was such a success.

I look forward to welcoming you back, once again, in the not too distant future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyme Regis
#1 of 2 in Branscombe
Kerrington House
Kerrington House
#1 of 1 in Axminster

Been to The Royal Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!