“Very pleasant stay”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lyme Regis
The Royal Lion Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Lyme Regis
“Very pleasant stay”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Lovely old hotel ... Very nice stay ...David our breakfast waiter very very good although we found the restaurant a little too old fashioned.... Great views in Lyme Regis a lovely peaceful break ....Also thanks for the upgrade lovely room huge bathroom very spacious :-)

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Ian F
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Ian F

Thank you for your review of your stay at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us so much.

It is pleasing that you found David to be so very good, he has only just joined the team and therefore I am glad to learn he has already made a positive impression. I will pass on your thanks to David and all the team involved in ensuring your time with us was so special.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Lion Hotel on many future occasions.

Mark Dridge MIH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Havant, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Lyme Regis is a very interesting place to visit with many things to do and a pleasant place to just do very little if that is your preference. We chose to stay for three nights at the Royal Lion as this seemed the best choice for us. We relied on hotel web site linked to reports from visitors, pleased to report that our expectations were met very favourably. Me and my husband booked a balcony room which overlooks the rooftops to a glorious view of the bay. Arrival was dealt with very efficiently and free parking was available and convenient. The climb up two flights of steep stairs with our cases was a bit of an ordeal, however, we made it and I am sure help would have been available if required. No lift to the upper floors so some may wish to book a ground floor room.
The Oak Room Restaurant was very good, efficient staff well managed and a decent menu. Breakfast was also of a good standard. The cleanliness of our room was good but beware of the very small bath. If you like a long soak, forget it! The bath in our bathroom was about four feet long, my husband sat in it and had difficulty getting out. Sorry to say the shower head delivered water at a pretty feeble rate. (Room 32)
The hotel was a coaching house and is good for a short break. The strange thing is it leaves me with nothing much more to say. It is not outstanding but pleasant.

Room Tip: No lift to upper floors, small bath in room 32. Balcony room with a lovely view of the bay.
2 Thank jenny_tomlinson1
Dear jenny_tomlinson1

Thank you for your feedback about recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was pleased to learn you had enjoyed a pleasant visit to Lyme Regis.

I am always grateful to receive comments from our guests and your review is no exception. I was glad on the whole that you felt favourable about your experience and that you found the food, cleanliness of your room and the efficiency of the team to be excellent.

I was a little disappointed however that you were not so happy about the size of the bath and the shower pressure in your room. I can assure you we do our utmost to ensure guests comfort and as far as practicable I will address these points to endeavour to overcome them.

I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you once again to The Royal Lion Hotel, in the not too distant future.

Witham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We loved this hotel! The staff are very friendly and the restaurant/bar manager excelled himself with the pyrotechnic display for my birthday pudding plus spent lots of time introducing us to different gins,whiskeys and vodkas! The food was superb and we had a complete change of menu from the saturday to sunday night. Breakfasts were huge and varied. Our 2 rooms were big and the beds very comfy - my only comment would be for the money we paid I would normally expect a bath not just a shower.Pool area was lovely after a day pounding the beach for fossils. The beach was a few mins walk away.

Room Tip: Our room faced onto the high street so there was some traffic noise which might disturb a light slee...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear George E

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel, Lyme Regis. I was so pleased to learn that you had loved the hotel, felt the team were so very friendly and you had found the food superb.

I was also glad you thought your room was both large and comfortable. We offer a great selection of rooms within the hotel, because of the age of the building not all are equipped with baths, but those rooms that don’t do have dedicated showers. However please do not hesitate to ask for a room with bath for future visits.

I will pass on your wonderful comments to our restaurant/bar manager and all the team involved in making your experience of The Royal Lion Hotel so very lovely.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel once again in the not too distant future.

Corsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay in the Royal Lion very much and, based on our recent experience, it was good value for money. Initial impressions are all important and the welcome and helpful attitude of the reception staff was replicated throughout the hotel staff. We enjoyed one dinner in the first floor restaurant and a meal in the hotel bar which was more atmospheric; both meals were equally good in their own rights. Indeed, breakfasts were excellent with a wide choice. We also ate out in the Mill Supper Club which was outstanding, so something for everyone here. While our room was very comfortable and a good size, it overlooked the bustling high street. At times it felt that pavement life had become part of our room and, if you are a light sleeper, it didn't quieten down until 0100 hrs. These street facing rooms really need a good double glazing as the original sash windows do not fit well in any case. Small niggles are that wifi is only available in the public rooms and our TV remote was the most counter-intuitive control we had ever encountered! Similarly, the room heating had a mind of its own and wouldn't cooperate when heat was needed. That aside, the swimming pool, jacuzzi and sauna were excellent facilities; indeed, the pool was long enough to provide a good swim and at a very warm temperature - perhaps our room radiator was helping to maintain the pool heating? We hadn't been to Lyme Regis for many years and we were impressed by the town, its lovely seaside setting and its many facilities. The Royal Lion is conveniently situated right in the centre, a two-minute walk from the beach and is well worth a stay with its happy and helpful staff.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear Richard L

Thank you for taking the time to complete a trip advisor review of your recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel, I really appreciate when guests take the time to feedback their experience with us. I was delighted to read you concluded your review by saying “well worth a stay with its happy and helpful staff”.

I also was particularly pleased that you felt your initial impression was replicated throughout the team. We do our upmost to ensure every guest receives courtesy and care at all times during their visit, and was glad you felt this came through.

The age of the building, some parts dating back to 1601, and our grade 2 listing unfortunately prevents the hotel from replacing our original sash windows with more modern double glazing. However we do offer a selection of different rooms and those who might find the high street a little noisy are always advised to stay either overlooking our courtyard or in one of our patio or balcony rooms at the rear to ensure a good night’s sleep.

I have already displayed your feedback on the notice board, in order to that all the team who ensured your time at The Royal Lion Hotel was such a success are made aware of your comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back on many future occasions.

Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We really enjoyed our two-night break at the historic Royal Lion Hotel. We were on a Mary Anning trail following a book group reading of 'Remarkable Creatures' by Tracy Chevalier and the staff were very helpful in providing maps and suggesting what we should see. The hotel is well placed in the centre of Lyme and we were pleased with our room looked onto quite a pleasant seating area). There were a couple of lounges available for reading/relaxation/conversation and a great swimming pool and jacuzzi. Alas I forgot my swimming costume and couldn't find one to buy in the resort, so please take heed and remember yours! The downside of staying in a historic hotel is, of course, the creaky floorboards so light sleepers beware! However, the food was great, a wide choice of breakfast dishes, cereals, yoghurt etc and our meals on both nights were delicious and this more than compensated for its creakiness. They do cater well for vegetarians although a second option would have been welcome. Every member of staff I came across was friendly, helpful and welcoming and I would recommend this hotel most warmly.

1 Thank Jellingtonbean
Dear Jellingtonbean

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was so pleased to learn you had enjoyed your time with us.

I will of course pass on your thank to all the team involved in ensuring your stay was so comfortable and memorable, and of course our chef for providing such great fare during your stay.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcoming you once again in the not too distant future.

Thirsk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Ideally placed hotel...with a great sized pool which we had personal use of during the time we stayed...Staff were very welcoming and swiftly solved our initial issue, as we were booked in mistakenly for the Friday after the Friday we arrived. Thanks for a brilliant stay. Breakfast spot on and enjoyed table tennis in the games room. Thanks everyone. We'll be back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear DFerret

Thank you for the review of your recent visit, the comments from which will help us to identify where we may maintain and build upon the standard of our service to our guests at The Royal Lion Hotel.

I was delighted to learn that you had such a wonderful stay, you found the team warm and welcoming, our breakfast offering to your liking and the facilities of our games room most enjoyable. Also I am glad to acknowledge that the error with your booking was swiftly resolved.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Royal Lion Hotel once again in the not too distant future.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed here for the weekend at the end of March. Staff were really friendly and the room was lovely, very comfortable bed.

The hotel has nice facilities such as a swimming pool, nice lounging rooms and a bar with a good atmosphere.

There was a good choice on the breakfast, the traditional breakfast was delicious.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Zak M
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Zak M

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your stay at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was most glad to read your positive comments.

I was pleased you felt the team were friendly; the room was lovely and the bed very comfortable. Also that you took advantage of all our facilities and found the breakfast choice to your liking and most delicious.

I have displayed your review so that all the team who were involved in ensuring your time with us was so positive are aware of your feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Lion Hotel again very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyme Regis
#1 of 1 in Axminster
Dorset House
Dorset House
#1 of 45 in Lyme Regis

Been to The Royal Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!