“simply wonderful”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lyme Regis
The Royal Lion Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Lyme Regis
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“simply wonderful”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Beautiful building, fantastic staff, very comfy and roomy bedrooms/bathrooms, great service. The breakfasts are lovely, great selection and lots of local produce, the best black pudding I have had in years. The rooms are serviced quickly and professionally, the bar food is good and all the staff are very friendly and helpful. Residents lounges, a lovely pool and spa and small sauna, it's simply the best place we have ever stayed in. They do special deals on 3 - 4 or 5 night stays but it is well worth the money regardless. It's right in the middle of the high street so it's easy access to the shoreline east and west and all the other wonderful local shops. Have just had the most wonderful 3 days thanks to the accommodation and especially the staff who work such long hours but are consistently polite, helpful, friendly and just lovely. thank you!

Room Tip: rooms start from £120 per night for a standard room although you can pay more for a larger room or a...
3 Thank Heather S
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Heather S

Thank you for taking the time to complete a delightful review of The Royal Lion Hotel. I was so pleased to learn how much you had enjoyed your recent visit to the hotel.

I have already taken the opportunity to pass on your wonderful feedback and thanks to all the team involved in ensuring your room was so comfortable, serviced quickly and professionally, your breakfast and food from our Inn was lovely, and who provided such excellent service throughout your stay.

I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to The Royal Lion Hotel, once again in the not too distant future.

Mark Dridge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Lymington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Just had a cousins' reunion here , 11 of us on our annual get together. Our balcony room was superb, views over the town roofs and all along the Jurassic coast....Italy eat your heart out. The bar food was great. We did not have formal dinner there but reports were excellent from other residents. The three night deal, which we missed was very good value. Right in the centre of town, minute from the sea front and the parade. Good breakfasts though one of my cousins had a bit of a dry hard kipper one morning. Rest fine.An excellent stay.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are best for views but usually go first.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Terry L
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Terry L

Thank you for your excellent review of your time at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was so pleased to learn how much you had enjoyed your stay.

I have already passed on your feedback to our Housekeeper and her team, our chef, and all those who ensured your reunion was so superb. I also must agree that the view from our balcony rooms cannot be beaten, on a clear day you can see the coast line all the way to the golden cap and beyond, and the Jurassic coast truly is something to rival Italy.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Royal Lion Hotel in the not too distant future.

Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We have spent a week at this lovely old coaching inn. We were lucky that the weather was superb for our whole stay. We found all the staff charming and helpful and booking half board was well worth it as the meals in the Oak Room restaurant were varied and delicious and the staff there very efficient. We stayed in a superior room with a little balcony which was great and well worth the extra money. The swimming pool and jacuzzi was a very welcome addition to our stay and used every day. We had a lovely holiday and hope to return to this hotel very soon. Having a car park was also a great help.

Room Tip: Would recommend paying for a superior room if you are staying for longer than a short break.
2 Thank Margaret E
Dear Margaret E

Thank you your recent review of The Royal Lion Hotel, I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed good weather during your stay and found our traditional hotel so very lovely.

I was of course also very please that you found all the members of the team which you met during your stay so charming and the food delicious in our Oak Room Restaurant. The addition of our swimming pool, sauna and Jacuzzi to have topped of your time with us, I will pass on your delightful comments to all those who made you visit to The Royal Lion Hotel such a success.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on many future occasions.

Addlestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We chose to stay at The Royal Lion for a long weekend because of its central location and because it had its own car park. We were also encouraged by the reviews others had written and, it's fair to say, we weren't disappointed.
The hotel's buildings are a combination of the old, original coaching inn combined with a more modern extension. Our room was one of the balcony rooms which overlooked a small public car park and the rooftops of the cottage properties and other buildings. Best of all, there was a lovely sea and coastline view.
The room was spotlessly clean, comfortable and well appointed. Free Wi-Fi is available in-room. Tea/coffee making facilities are also provided in-room.
Breakfast is served in the hotel's restaurant, and there is a good selection of dished to choose from. The restaurant staff are quietly efficient and professional.
We had dinner there on one evening, and it was very good. I noticed the menu changes on a daily basis, and the hotel uses fresh, local produce.
Check-in and check-out were dealt with politely and efficiently. We were particularly grateful to one of the Receptionists for tracking down a taxi for a return journey to River Cottage on a Saturday evening. Local buses stop running after 9:30pm and so if you need a taxi on a Saturday evening it's advisable to book in advance.
The Royal Lion has an 'Olde Worlde' atmosphere, but it strives to achieve high standards. We certainly didn't have any reason to complain about anything, and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

2 Thank G-BOAC
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear G-BOAC

Thank you for completing a review of your recent long weekend at The Royal Lion Hotel, Lyme Regis. I was so pleased to read that your enjoyed your time with us and would not hesitate to choose to stay again.

It was a pleasure to learn that you found your balcony room, with its beautiful view of our jurrassic coast so appealing and in addition so spotlessly clean and comfortable. I will of course pass on your delightful comments to our restaurant and reception teams, as well as all those involved in ensuring your time at The Royal Lion Hotel was so very enjoyable.

I look forward to welcoming you back, once again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Lovely old hotel ... Very nice stay ...David our breakfast waiter very very good although we found the restaurant a little too old fashioned.... Great views in Lyme Regis a lovely peaceful break ....Also thanks for the upgrade lovely room huge bathroom very spacious :-)

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Ian F
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Ian F

Thank you for your review of your stay at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us so much.

It is pleasing that you found David to be so very good, he has only just joined the team and therefore I am glad to learn he has already made a positive impression. I will pass on your thanks to David and all the team involved in ensuring your time with us was so special.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Lion Hotel on many future occasions.

Havant, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Lyme Regis is a very interesting place to visit with many things to do and a pleasant place to just do very little if that is your preference. We chose to stay for three nights at the Royal Lion as this seemed the best choice for us. We relied on hotel web site linked to reports from visitors, pleased to report that our expectations were met very favourably. Me and my husband booked a balcony room which overlooks the rooftops to a glorious view of the bay. Arrival was dealt with very efficiently and free parking was available and convenient. The climb up two flights of steep stairs with our cases was a bit of an ordeal, however, we made it and I am sure help would have been available if required. No lift to the upper floors so some may wish to book a ground floor room.
The Oak Room Restaurant was very good, efficient staff well managed and a decent menu. Breakfast was also of a good standard. The cleanliness of our room was good but beware of the very small bath. If you like a long soak, forget it! The bath in our bathroom was about four feet long, my husband sat in it and had difficulty getting out. Sorry to say the shower head delivered water at a pretty feeble rate. (Room 32)
The hotel was a coaching house and is good for a short break. The strange thing is it leaves me with nothing much more to say. It is not outstanding but pleasant.

Room Tip: No lift to upper floors, small bath in room 32. Balcony room with a lovely view of the bay.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jenny_tomlinson1
Dear jenny_tomlinson1

Thank you for your feedback about recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was pleased to learn you had enjoyed a pleasant visit to Lyme Regis.

I am always grateful to receive comments from our guests and your review is no exception. I was glad on the whole that you felt favourable about your experience and that you found the food, cleanliness of your room and the efficiency of the team to be excellent.

I was a little disappointed however that you were not so happy about the size of the bath and the shower pressure in your room. I can assure you we do our utmost to ensure guests comfort and as far as practicable I will address these points to endeavour to overcome them.

I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you once again to The Royal Lion Hotel, in the not too distant future.

Witham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We loved this hotel! The staff are very friendly and the restaurant/bar manager excelled himself with the pyrotechnic display for my birthday pudding plus spent lots of time introducing us to different gins,whiskeys and vodkas! The food was superb and we had a complete change of menu from the saturday to sunday night. Breakfasts were huge and varied. Our 2 rooms were big and the beds very comfy - my only comment would be for the money we paid I would normally expect a bath not just a shower.Pool area was lovely after a day pounding the beach for fossils. The beach was a few mins walk away.

Room Tip: Our room faced onto the high street so there was some traffic noise which might disturb a light slee...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear George E

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel, Lyme Regis. I was so pleased to learn that you had loved the hotel, felt the team were so very friendly and you had found the food superb.

I was also glad you thought your room was both large and comfortable. We offer a great selection of rooms within the hotel, because of the age of the building not all are equipped with baths, but those rooms that don’t do have dedicated showers. However please do not hesitate to ask for a room with bath for future visits.

I will pass on your wonderful comments to our restaurant/bar manager and all the team involved in making your experience of The Royal Lion Hotel so very lovely.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel once again in the not too distant future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyme Regis
#1 of 45 in Lyme Regis
Cobb Arms
Cobb Arms
#16 of 45 in Lyme Regis

Been to The Royal Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!