“good location and friendly staff”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lyme Regis
The Royal Lion Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Lyme Regis
Reviewed 10 July 2014

stayed in a family room (no. 4)with my sister and her 2 young daughters (6 and 9). we had a wonderful time as we got the pool to ourselves for most of the time. The breakfast was exceptionally good. It was nice to park the car and forget about it until we checked out, as everything was within walking distance. Theres a nice wee pizza place just to the left of the hotel and the area around the water mill is charming.
Our room opened up to a nice patio area through french doors and was a nice place to relax at the end of the day
The wifi worked well in the lounge/lobby area but not at all if too far from the router

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Yorkshirelass235
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear Yorkshirelass235

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was delighted to learn that you had a wonderful time during your time with us.

It was pleasing to read you enjoyed all the facilities; including “exclusive use” of our pool, made full use of our complimentary car parking and found your patio room a relaxing haven at the end of each day.

I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you and your family once again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night (Saturday) with my boyfriend. The hotel is a historic building, it was previously a coaching inn and dates back to the 1600's, it still has traditional features and lots of character. It's in a perfect location for exploring Lyme Regis everything is nearby in walking distance. There is car parking too which is a bonus. We stayed in a traditional room which was spacious light and clean, we had tea and coffee making facilities too and a TV with lots of channels. What I did find odd was that there were two wooden beams in the room that had been painted cream the same colour as the walls which I thought was a shame especially in a 'traditional' room as if they hadn't been painted to blend in with the wall they would highlight the buildings traditional features. The leisure facilities are a nice touch we enjoyed relaxing in the jacuzzi and sauna. The hotel had a fine dining restaurant and also food available in the bar/inn area, alternatively there are plenty of restaurants nearby. We opted to eat and have a few drinks in the Royal Lion inn area, it was pub food which is what we were after. Wifi available in some communal areas of hotel, it was not that fast. Breakfast was served until 10 and was a buffet with fruit juice, cereal, croissants, fruit, and some other bits, with a cooked breakfast available to order, we both had full English which was just ok. Check out was 11. Had an enjoyable stay.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank dorsetcamper88
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear dorsetcamper88

Thank you for completing a review of your recent visit to The Royal Lion Hotel. I was delighted to learn that you had enjoyed your time with us.

I was also pleased to read that you found the historic nature and features of the building so interesting and found this added to your stay. I am however afraid that not all guests feel exactly the same, and hence why, though we are immensely proud of this traditional landmark building, we have chosen not to extenuate the beams in the room in which you stayed. I will however now reconsider when we next come to decorate in this room.

I have passed on your comments to all the team involved in ensuring we make the very best of this hotel and ensure guests like yourself will hopefully return on many future occasions.

Thank you once again for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back once again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Paid £115 for one night B&B, which is reasonable for the town. Car parking on site, which is accessed off Broad Street, but manoeuvring can be a little difficult at peak times.

Greeted very pleasantly at reception and our check in went smoothly. Led to our standard room (no. 7), which is at the end of a couple of corridors and overlooks the car park on one side and a path/hedge on the other. We got what we paid for.

The room was of reasonable size, and very clean, with a fairly comfortable double bed and decent sized wardrobe space. Small TV included, but we didn't use it. Bathroom also of good size, with shower cubicle but no bath. Not sure who wants a bath on holiday nowadays anyway!

Now for a few gripes:

The shower was hugely underpowered. It looked great, and much attention has been paid to the fittings, but that is pointless when the delivery is akin to standing under a watering can.

WiFi was awful. We were told that it was available only in the public areas, although we might be lucky in the room. We had two iPhones and two iPads, and only one phone would connect sporadically in the room. No connection at all in the bar or lounge at the front of the hotel, and we were eventually told that we wouldn't get anything unless we were in the room, further back in the building, where the router was housed in a cupboard. This did work (as did the connection in the restaurant immediately above it), but it is 2014, not 1994, so I would expect total coverage throughout the premises. Get some boosters!!!

We didn't eat our evening meal at the hotel, but did take breakfast here and I have reviewed this separately on Trip Advisor. However, to summarise: buffet food was very average and the cooked food was mainly undercooked (apart from overcooked scrambled egg) and of vastly differing temperatures. Not a gastronomic triumph! Service was shoddy and diffident, with the exception of one (black) waiter.

Bar service was also of the same standard as breakfast. I ordered a pint of local bitter, which ran out before it had filled the glass. The same thing happened with my second choice. No offer to change the barrel, just a suggestion that I choose something else! I ordered a pot of tea for my wife, to be taken in the adjacent lounge, and had to chase it up ten minutes later, whereupon I was asked to pay again, which I declined to do. Eventually got what we ordered and had to move due to the WiFi issues mentioned above.

Management need to urgently review staff attitudes, except for those on reception and the aforementioned black waiter, who were a credit to themselves. If the rest of the staff were like that, this would be a better rated review.

2  Thank Elnombre_lulu

Dear Elnombre_lulu

Thank you for taking the time to complete a thorough review of your recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel, Lyme Regis. I was saddened to learn of your disappointment with your experience during your time with us.

Let me immediately apologise, on this occasion we have neither met your expectations nor the high standards of hospitality we set ourselves at The Royal Lion Hotel. Firstly please be assured that I take all guest feedback very seriously, and therefore address both trip advisor reviews and guest feedback forms personally and discuss each one with my management team to ensure all points raised are addressed and where possible changes implemented as a matter of urgency.

It would appear that certain individuals within the team fell below the standard of hospitality that the management team and I have set during your visit, and I can assure you I have already taken steps to ensure these lapses are addressed. I was pleased however to learn that you felt David in the restaurant and all the reception team, had maintained the level of guest care that is so vital.

I was also disappointed to read you felt that our breakfast buffet and hot food from our grill was not up to standard either and I have asked our Head Chef to review the offering to ensure that this is also addressed for our future patrons.

With regards to both the shower pressure and the WiFi signal, I am afraid these are both issues that can raise themselves from time to time. Both, I am afraid, are due to the nature and age of this historic building. The shower room that you describe has indeed been recently refurbished, which has improved the quality somewhat, unfortunately however we are never going to be able to offer a power shower in a building of this age. The same may be said of the WiFi, we have as you pointed out installed a number of boosters, however due to the thickness of the walls in the building they are not always effective and though we have done extensive work to try to improve the signal within the building we also suffer due to poor connectivity in Lyme Regis as a whole.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I hope you might give the hotel and its team another opportunity to welcome you back at some point in the future so that we might have a chance to shine.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed 2 nights in the Royal lion, we found everything fine, breakfast very good, all staff very friendly, one young chap who oversee's the restaurant could do with a slight attitude change,, it's not a starred restaurant and most people there are on holiday... but maybe it's his first job...anyway i highly recommend for a short break ,,, we had a sea view room in the newer annex and it was fine..very clean and well apointed . it is on the high side price wise for the area ... £158.00 a night but hey ho it was worth it...bang in the centre and I loved the olde worlde charm..

1  Thank thundermerc
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear thundermerc

Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback about your recent experience of The Royal Lion Hotel. I was glad to read you found the breakfast of a very good standard and all the team so very friendly.

I have already raised the comments you made with our restaurant supervisor, and can assure you no such lapses in attitude will occur in the future and can only apologise if this detracted from your pleasant experience.

I was however pleased to learn you felt you were able to recommend the hotel for a short break, and hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back once again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Centrally located and embedded in history this hotel offers friendly ,considerate service and modern facilities where it matters .My room was small, cozy and quaint ,the bathroom was magnificently equipped.All Aussies should note that as well as a good sized pool there is Vegemite on the breakfast table.

Room Tip: I was at the rear,no views ,frosted windows.A couple next door complained of overnight noise from th...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Marilyn K

Dear Marilyn K

Thank you for your wonderful review of your time at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was delighted to read your comments about your room, bathroom, and our pool. I was also glad to learn you felt the vegemite was such a plus, I will certainly ensure this remains a feature of our breakfast buffet for our future Australian guests.

Once again thank you for your comments and I hope we might have an opportunity to play host should you return to Lyme Regis.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I loved this hotel. It retains its olde worlde charm and is right in the centre of activity in Lyme Regis. I found the staff very kind and helpful. As a solo traveller I really appreciated their manner. I stayed here two years ago, May 2012, and finally found the time to review it, although I intended to at the time.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Maus D

Dear Muas D

Thank you for your delightful review of your visit to The Royal Lion Hotel, Lyme Regis. I was most pleased to learn of your love for the hotels olde worlde charm. The team and I have worked very hard to ensure we maintain the hotel and its traditional hospitality, whilst still offering all the modern amenities our guests expect.

I have posted your comments on our noticeboard for all those member of the team who were involved ensuring your time with us was such a success.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Lion Hotel once again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We had a room with a balcony looking over the town and out to sea. It was in a modern extension, which I am usually wary of, but this was a beautiful spacious room. Spotless and great modern décor.
We loved the breakfasts. Plentiful choice & generous portions. Kippers, Smoked Haddock, Scrambled Eggs with Smoked Salmon were our favourites.
We loved the indoor pool & sauna - surprisingly under used whilst we were there.
Although this was a quiet hotel and we were there for a romantic break, the place was also well equipped for a family and we may well return as a family. There was a quiet lounge at the rear of the hotel equipped with family board games. There was a full size snooker table and a ping pong table.There was another pleasant lounge near the bar at the front of the hotel.

If I was to make one suggestion to the managers: Please provide bathrobes, so that guests can go down to the pool & return from the pool without endlessly getting changed. eg. I wanted to get out of bed, into my swimsuit, go for a swim, return to my room to shower and then get dressed for the day. This was not possible following your house rules.

2  Thank MestaChios

Dear MestaChios

Thank you for completing a review of your recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was happy to learn how much you had enjoyed your visit to the hotel and Lyme Regis.

I was glad to read that you felt that the hotel ticked the boxes on a number of accounts both for your romantic break on this occasion and also for a possible future family holiday. I have passed on your thank to our chef and his team for breakfasts that you enjoyed so much and to all the team who made sure your time with us was so memorable.

I can assure that I take all feedback and suggestions very seriously and will certainly raise the possibility of bathrobes with the management team, and consider them for future implementation and further improvement to our guest offering.

Once again we thank you for your comments and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Royal Lion Hotel, in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyme Regis
#2 of 2 in Charmouth
Lyme Townhouse
Lyme Townhouse
#11 of 45 in Lyme Regis

Been to The Royal Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!