“Fourth visit”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lyme Regis
The Royal Lion Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Lyme Regis
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This hotel still delivers excellent customer service (Rachael deservers a mention as she goes the extra mile),and if you take the superior rooms you won't be disappointed.They do good packages (price wise) if you book half board.The food in the restaurant is well presented,and to a good standard and quality.Make sure to book early for the evening meal as some times certain meals can run out.The leisures facilities ie the swimming pool etc are an added bonus.I did not use them on this trip but I have in the past.It was very popular when we were their.Added bonus is the ample on site parking,and when you book out they let you use the car park I think it was up to 3pm which allows you to spend extra time buying gifts in the town.In summary this a great old coaching inn hotel which Ouse's lots of old charm but meets todays modern requirements.

2  Thank Mark A
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear Mark A

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel, Lyme Regis. I was very pleased to read that you had enjoyed a number of previous visits to the hotel and that you felt we continue to offer excellent customer service.

I was also glad you felt able to recommend our suprior rooms, the food in our restaurant; The Oak Room and our pool, Jacuzzi and sauna. I have already passed on your delightful comments to Rachel in reception and all the team who went that extra mile to ensure this visit, like those previously, had been so memorable.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on many future occasions.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I stayed at the Royal Lion with my wife for a one night weekend break in July. The hotel is ideally placed for exploring Lyme Regis, being only a couple of hundred yards from the seafront. Parking is at a premium in the town and therefore the car park at the hotel, although small is very beneficial. We booked into a superior room at the front of the hotel which was spacious, spotlessly clean and the decor/furnishings well maintained. Being at the front of the hotel, we were somewhat concerned about traffic noise at night, although these fears proved unfounded as we both slept undisturbed. We used the pool and jacuzzi which were adequate although the changing cubicles very cramped. Breakfast was good but not exceptional and the staff polite and courteous. Overall I would say our stay was reasonable value and would happily return if in the area again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tim e

Dear tim e

Thank you for completing a review of your recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was delighted to learn how much you had enjoyed your time with us.

I have noted all the points you have made and discussed them with the management team in order to build upon your positive experience.

I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to The Royal Lion Hotel, once again before too long.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We had a patio room - this was a shared area that looked out towards the sea.
The room was very clean (as was the hotel), and the staff were friendly.
The car park is a bit tight if you have a big car
We ate in the Oak restaurant - quite formal with a pianist in the corner. The quality of the food was very good, so can recommend as a treat. A cheaper option is to eat in the bar - also very good.

Room Tip: Try the patio rooms
1  Thank smhbcfc
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Dear smhbcfc

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel, Lyme Regis. I was pleased to learn that you had enjoyed your time with us.

Your kind words about the patio room, its cleanliness and about the quality of the food in both our Inn and Oak Room Restaurant, were greatly appreciated. I have already taken the opportunity to share your feedback with the team who you described as so friendly, and who made every effort to ensure your time with us was such a success.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Lion Hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Our two night stay at The Royal Lion was very enjoyable. On arrival, check-in was smooth and efficient. Our well-equipped, comfortable, top floor balcony room had wonderful views over the sea, Lyme Regis and Dorset's wonderful coastline. We stayed on a Dinner, Bed & Breakfast basis - a good selection on offer at both meals. Service was low-key and mostly friendly with the exception of one of the waiting staff, who shall remain nameless, who lacked a certain amount of finesse by leaning over our table to serve and collect rather that go round to the side. The hotel's location is great - walk out of the front door and you're in Lyme's main street with its shops etc. and just a couple of minute's walk to the beach. We love Lyme Regis and will certainly return to this hotel.

Room Tip: A top-floor balcony room is worth the extra!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Phil T
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear Phil T

Thank you for taking the time to complete a trip advisor review of your recent two night stay. I was pleased to read that you had a very enjoyable time.

I was glad to learn that you found your room to be well-equipped, comfortable and that you were able to take advantage of the wonderful view of the coast line and Golden Cap available in our balcony rooms.

Though a little disappointed that one of the team let us down by lacking some finesse, and I can assure you I will address this, I was pleased that overall you felt the welcome and service was friendly and efficient.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you when next you take the opportunity to visit Lyme Regis

Reviewed 10 July 2014

stayed in a family room (no. 4)with my sister and her 2 young daughters (6 and 9). we had a wonderful time as we got the pool to ourselves for most of the time. The breakfast was exceptionally good. It was nice to park the car and forget about it until we checked out, as everything was within walking distance. Theres a nice wee pizza place just to the left of the hotel and the area around the water mill is charming.
Our room opened up to a nice patio area through french doors and was a nice place to relax at the end of the day
The wifi worked well in the lounge/lobby area but not at all if too far from the router

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Yorkshirelass235

Dear Yorkshirelass235

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was delighted to learn that you had a wonderful time during your time with us.

It was pleasing to read you enjoyed all the facilities; including “exclusive use” of our pool, made full use of our complimentary car parking and found your patio room a relaxing haven at the end of each day.

I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you and your family once again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night (Saturday) with my boyfriend. The hotel is a historic building, it was previously a coaching inn and dates back to the 1600's, it still has traditional features and lots of character. It's in a perfect location for exploring Lyme Regis everything is nearby in walking distance. There is car parking too which is a bonus. We stayed in a traditional room which was spacious light and clean, we had tea and coffee making facilities too and a TV with lots of channels. What I did find odd was that there were two wooden beams in the room that had been painted cream the same colour as the walls which I thought was a shame especially in a 'traditional' room as if they hadn't been painted to blend in with the wall they would highlight the buildings traditional features. The leisure facilities are a nice touch we enjoyed relaxing in the jacuzzi and sauna. The hotel had a fine dining restaurant and also food available in the bar/inn area, alternatively there are plenty of restaurants nearby. We opted to eat and have a few drinks in the Royal Lion inn area, it was pub food which is what we were after. Wifi available in some communal areas of hotel, it was not that fast. Breakfast was served until 10 and was a buffet with fruit juice, cereal, croissants, fruit, and some other bits, with a cooked breakfast available to order, we both had full English which was just ok. Check out was 11. Had an enjoyable stay.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank dorsetcamper88
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear dorsetcamper88

Thank you for completing a review of your recent visit to The Royal Lion Hotel. I was delighted to learn that you had enjoyed your time with us.

I was also pleased to read that you found the historic nature and features of the building so interesting and found this added to your stay. I am however afraid that not all guests feel exactly the same, and hence why, though we are immensely proud of this traditional landmark building, we have chosen not to extenuate the beams in the room in which you stayed. I will however now reconsider when we next come to decorate in this room.

I have passed on your comments to all the team involved in ensuring we make the very best of this hotel and ensure guests like yourself will hopefully return on many future occasions.

Thank you once again for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back once again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Paid £115 for one night B&B, which is reasonable for the town. Car parking on site, which is accessed off Broad Street, but manoeuvring can be a little difficult at peak times.

Greeted very pleasantly at reception and our check in went smoothly. Led to our standard room (no. 7), which is at the end of a couple of corridors and overlooks the car park on one side and a path/hedge on the other. We got what we paid for.

The room was of reasonable size, and very clean, with a fairly comfortable double bed and decent sized wardrobe space. Small TV included, but we didn't use it. Bathroom also of good size, with shower cubicle but no bath. Not sure who wants a bath on holiday nowadays anyway!

Now for a few gripes:

The shower was hugely underpowered. It looked great, and much attention has been paid to the fittings, but that is pointless when the delivery is akin to standing under a watering can.

WiFi was awful. We were told that it was available only in the public areas, although we might be lucky in the room. We had two iPhones and two iPads, and only one phone would connect sporadically in the room. No connection at all in the bar or lounge at the front of the hotel, and we were eventually told that we wouldn't get anything unless we were in the room, further back in the building, where the router was housed in a cupboard. This did work (as did the connection in the restaurant immediately above it), but it is 2014, not 1994, so I would expect total coverage throughout the premises. Get some boosters!!!

We didn't eat our evening meal at the hotel, but did take breakfast here and I have reviewed this separately on Trip Advisor. However, to summarise: buffet food was very average and the cooked food was mainly undercooked (apart from overcooked scrambled egg) and of vastly differing temperatures. Not a gastronomic triumph! Service was shoddy and diffident, with the exception of one (black) waiter.

Bar service was also of the same standard as breakfast. I ordered a pint of local bitter, which ran out before it had filled the glass. The same thing happened with my second choice. No offer to change the barrel, just a suggestion that I choose something else! I ordered a pot of tea for my wife, to be taken in the adjacent lounge, and had to chase it up ten minutes later, whereupon I was asked to pay again, which I declined to do. Eventually got what we ordered and had to move due to the WiFi issues mentioned above.

Management need to urgently review staff attitudes, except for those on reception and the aforementioned black waiter, who were a credit to themselves. If the rest of the staff were like that, this would be a better rated review.

2  Thank Elnombre_lulu

Dear Elnombre_lulu

Thank you for taking the time to complete a thorough review of your recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel, Lyme Regis. I was saddened to learn of your disappointment with your experience during your time with us.

Let me immediately apologise, on this occasion we have neither met your expectations nor the high standards of hospitality we set ourselves at The Royal Lion Hotel. Firstly please be assured that I take all guest feedback very seriously, and therefore address both trip advisor reviews and guest feedback forms personally and discuss each one with my management team to ensure all points raised are addressed and where possible changes implemented as a matter of urgency.

It would appear that certain individuals within the team fell below the standard of hospitality that the management team and I have set during your visit, and I can assure you I have already taken steps to ensure these lapses are addressed. I was pleased however to learn that you felt David in the restaurant and all the reception team, had maintained the level of guest care that is so vital.

I was also disappointed to read you felt that our breakfast buffet and hot food from our grill was not up to standard either and I have asked our Head Chef to review the offering to ensure that this is also addressed for our future patrons.

With regards to both the shower pressure and the WiFi signal, I am afraid these are both issues that can raise themselves from time to time. Both, I am afraid, are due to the nature and age of this historic building. The shower room that you describe has indeed been recently refurbished, which has improved the quality somewhat, unfortunately however we are never going to be able to offer a power shower in a building of this age. The same may be said of the WiFi, we have as you pointed out installed a number of boosters, however due to the thickness of the walls in the building they are not always effective and though we have done extensive work to try to improve the signal within the building we also suffer due to poor connectivity in Lyme Regis as a whole.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I hope you might give the hotel and its team another opportunity to welcome you back at some point in the future so that we might have a chance to shine.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyme Regis
#2 of 10 in Bridport
Lyme Townhouse
Lyme Townhouse
#10 of 45 in Lyme Regis

Been to The Royal Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!