“Charming hotel, perfectly located”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lyme Regis
The Royal Lion Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Lyme Regis
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Charming hotel, perfectly located”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed here for a week and loved it. The location is ideal; just a few minutes walk from the beach, and in the main shopping street. We had a standard double room which had everything we needed. Breakfast was good, but not exceptional. We had a meal in the bar one evening which was good and had dinner in the dining-room one evening which was very pleasant. The staff were courteous and attentive. It is a 17th century coaching inn, there are some low ceilings, it has plenty of character and is sufficiently modern for my tastes. There is a pool, and sauna which I didn't use. It has its own car parking which is useful in such a small town. WIFI isn't available in all parts of the hotel, not all rooms have a bath (just a shower). I don't know how good it is for disabled access. However, it suited us very well, I would certainly recommend it and would happily stay there again.

Room Tip: Some room just have shower facilities (no bath).
1 Thank Hilary M
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Hilary M

Thank you for your review of you time at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was so pleased to learn that you would definitely choose to stay with us again during your next visit to Lyme Regis and that you felt we were an excellent hotel.

I was delighted you enjoyed your room, that it met your expectations and needs and that you felt the building had lots of character and charm, yet still offered modern facilities which justified the price you were charged. Also I was glad you found the team very friendly and helpful, I will certainly ensure they are made aware of your positive comments and pass on your thanks to all involved in making your stay so special.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Lion Hotel again very soon.

Mark Dridge MIH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
codicote, England
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We had a long weekend at Lyme Regis, including a visit to River Cottage HQ, and The Royal Lion Hotel provided an excellent hotel for the trip. Located in the main shopping street just a few minutes walk from the beach, the hotel provided all that was required for our stay. The hotel dates back to the 17th century, so has plenty of character and charm, but still provides enough modern facilities to justify the price paid. Car parking, a good breakfast, indoor pool and bar are just some of the stand out features. The staff were also very friendly and helpful.

We booked a courtyard room, adequately sized, which was clean and came with all the required room amenities. There were more expensive rooms with balconies, views etc, but this room suited our needs - Lyme Regis and the surrounding area had plenty to see and do, so we were hardly in the room.

So plenty of positives, any negatives you may ask; the free wifi could have been better - only available in certain areas in the hotel. But that was about it.

We liked Lyme Regis, so for any future visit, The Royal Lion Hotel will be definitely on the top of the list for a return visit.

Room Tip: A courtyard room is perfectly adequate for a weekend stay with its lower price.
1 Thank trueblue60
Dear trueblue60

I appreciate you taking the time to post a review upon trip advisor about your recent time at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was glad to learn that you had loved your stay with us.

I was particularly pleased that you had stayed in a standard room as we do not often receive feedback about these rooms and their amenities, and was delighted to read that the room met your expectations and needs. I was also very happy to learn that you had found the team both courteous and attentive during your stay.

As previously mentioned the Wi-Fi in the building can be a little tricky because in addition to the hindrance of the thick walls of this historic building, despite the number of routers we have placed about the building, the general availability in the area also lets us down. I can assure you however that I am doing my utmost to further address this issue so as to find a solution.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you once again in the near future.

Weybridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This hotel still delivers excellent customer service (Rachael deservers a mention as she goes the extra mile),and if you take the superior rooms you won't be disappointed.They do good packages (price wise) if you book half board.The food in the restaurant is well presented,and to a good standard and quality.Make sure to book early for the evening meal as some times certain meals can run out.The leisures facilities ie the swimming pool etc are an added bonus.I did not use them on this trip but I have in the past.It was very popular when we were their.Added bonus is the ample on site parking,and when you book out they let you use the car park I think it was up to 3pm which allows you to spend extra time buying gifts in the town.In summary this a great old coaching inn hotel which Ouse's lots of old charm but meets todays modern requirements.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mark A
Dear Mark A

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel, Lyme Regis. I was very pleased to read that you had enjoyed a number of previous visits to the hotel and that you felt we continue to offer excellent customer service.

I was also glad you felt able to recommend our suprior rooms, the food in our restaurant; The Oak Room and our pool, Jacuzzi and sauna. I have already passed on your delightful comments to Rachel in reception and all the team who went that extra mile to ensure this visit, like those previously, had been so memorable.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on many future occasions.

haywards heath
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I stayed at the Royal Lion with my wife for a one night weekend break in July. The hotel is ideally placed for exploring Lyme Regis, being only a couple of hundred yards from the seafront. Parking is at a premium in the town and therefore the car park at the hotel, although small is very beneficial. We booked into a superior room at the front of the hotel which was spacious, spotlessly clean and the decor/furnishings well maintained. Being at the front of the hotel, we were somewhat concerned about traffic noise at night, although these fears proved unfounded as we both slept undisturbed. We used the pool and jacuzzi which were adequate although the changing cubicles very cramped. Breakfast was good but not exceptional and the staff polite and courteous. Overall I would say our stay was reasonable value and would happily return if in the area again.

1 Thank tim e
Dear tim e

Thank you for completing a review of your recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was delighted to learn how much you had enjoyed your time with us.

I have noted all the points you have made and discussed them with the management team in order to build upon your positive experience.

I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to The Royal Lion Hotel, once again before too long.

Dorset, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We had a patio room - this was a shared area that looked out towards the sea.
The room was very clean (as was the hotel), and the staff were friendly.
The car park is a bit tight if you have a big car
We ate in the Oak restaurant - quite formal with a pianist in the corner. The quality of the food was very good, so can recommend as a treat. A cheaper option is to eat in the bar - also very good.

Room Tip: Try the patio rooms
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank smhbcfc
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear smhbcfc

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel, Lyme Regis. I was pleased to learn that you had enjoyed your time with us.

Your kind words about the patio room, its cleanliness and about the quality of the food in both our Inn and Oak Room Restaurant, were greatly appreciated. I have already taken the opportunity to share your feedback with the team who you described as so friendly, and who made every effort to ensure your time with us was such a success.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Lion Hotel in the not too distant future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Our two night stay at The Royal Lion was very enjoyable. On arrival, check-in was smooth and efficient. Our well-equipped, comfortable, top floor balcony room had wonderful views over the sea, Lyme Regis and Dorset's wonderful coastline. We stayed on a Dinner, Bed & Breakfast basis - a good selection on offer at both meals. Service was low-key and mostly friendly with the exception of one of the waiting staff, who shall remain nameless, who lacked a certain amount of finesse by leaning over our table to serve and collect rather that go round to the side. The hotel's location is great - walk out of the front door and you're in Lyme's main street with its shops etc. and just a couple of minute's walk to the beach. We love Lyme Regis and will certainly return to this hotel.

Room Tip: A top-floor balcony room is worth the extra!!
2 Thank Phil T
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear Phil T

Thank you for taking the time to complete a trip advisor review of your recent two night stay. I was pleased to read that you had a very enjoyable time.

I was glad to learn that you found your room to be well-equipped, comfortable and that you were able to take advantage of the wonderful view of the coast line and Golden Cap available in our balcony rooms.

Though a little disappointed that one of the team let us down by lacking some finesse, and I can assure you I will address this, I was pleased that overall you felt the welcome and service was friendly and efficient.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you when next you take the opportunity to visit Lyme Regis

Thailand
Reviewed 10 July 2014

stayed in a family room (no. 4)with my sister and her 2 young daughters (6 and 9). we had a wonderful time as we got the pool to ourselves for most of the time. The breakfast was exceptionally good. It was nice to park the car and forget about it until we checked out, as everything was within walking distance. Theres a nice wee pizza place just to the left of the hotel and the area around the water mill is charming.
Our room opened up to a nice patio area through french doors and was a nice place to relax at the end of the day
The wifi worked well in the lounge/lobby area but not at all if too far from the router

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Yorkshirelass235
Dear Yorkshirelass235

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was delighted to learn that you had a wonderful time during your time with us.

It was pleasing to read you enjoyed all the facilities; including “exclusive use” of our pool, made full use of our complimentary car parking and found your patio room a relaxing haven at the end of each day.

I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you and your family once again in the not too distant future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyme Regis
#2 of 10 in Bridport
Dorset House
Dorset House
#1 of 45 in Lyme Regis

Been to The Royal Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!