“5 star prices 2 star service poor quality food”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lyme Regis
Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Lyme Regis
GreenLeadersGold level
Reading
“5 star prices 2 star service poor quality food”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

This has a potential to be a great Lyme Regis hotel – great position, good quality clean rooms, great views, but just don’t eat dinner here!
Poor service and poorly cooked food. When the waiter picks up two plates of hardly eaten food and says nothing you know this is not a restaurant that cares about food quality or customer care - at no time was there anyone who looked like they were in charge and absolutely no one asked how our food was! What a shame - after a great welcome from the receptionist who showed us around the ground floor and showed us to your room, we then had an early indicator of what we might expect from the waiting staff when we arrived in the lounge at 4:30pm and asked a waiter if we could order a cup of tea, to be told “you order from reception” – not “let me get you the menu, here are our specialities and once you have chosen please place your order at reception”… this hotel could be so much more if someone trained the waiting team – offering a choice of bread roll from a tray held above your head is really a very simple training need. For the price they charged we did expect better service.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank V1S1T0R_9
alexandrateam, General Manager at Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor, we welcome all customer feedback both positive and negative because we use such comments as a learning experience and involve them in future staff training. I am very sorry that you feel let down by your experience at the hotel.Let me assure you that I have read your comments with great concern and that I will take the appropriate action where necessary to address the points made. With regard to pricing at the hotel I would however like to point out that we are comparable to similar establishments within our area and that we do not consider ourselves to be charging inflated prices.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
The Lakes
Reviewed 10 November 2013

This is a very smart hotel with very little competition in Lyme. However, like many of the 33 "below satisfactory" reviewers who have already noted the problem, the management at this hotel seem to think it is OK to charge top whack for rooms but not put too much effort into their food. Whilst this review only covers afternoon tea this meal is usually a good indicator of the general attitude towards, and oversight of, food standards throughout the hotel. The tea is clearly all pre-prepared refrigerated fare that appeared on the table within seconds of sitting down. The scone was old and decidedly dry and the 4 chilled cakes lacked imagination and were generally stodgey. At £18 per head the hotel management could do much better than this if they really tried. Thankfully, the setting and staff went some way to make up for these disappointments but, needless to say, we will not be coming back to this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NowtFancy
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. I am very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your Afternoon Tea with us. I have passed on your comments to the Head Chef who along with his team are looking into the content and qualtiy of the menu. I was encouraged to read that the staff and service did meet your needs while the food itself did not. It is only via feedback both good and bad that we can improve the guest experience. I am sadden to read that you will not be visiting us again, if you did I am sure you would see the continuing work and effort that we all put in to develope the Hotel.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Oh dear . The house itself is impressive. The lounge and dining rooms are beautifully and comfortably done, but I've never been sold a room for £145 per night that was quite so miserably small, cheaply done, with a 'travelodge' bathroom,and ,not interconnected with my childrens' room as specifically requested, although , as the receptionist pointed out, their bathroom backed on to ours, so we could at least hear them through the wall....Don't book rooms 17 or 27. They also back on to a public alleyway, so we were treated to a full on screaming match at around 3am which was entertaining but didn't add much to our stay. The owners really need to reserve these rooms as courtesy rooms for guests requiring somewhere to leave their bags after check out.
Now the good news. The Manager could not have been more helpful and moved us the next night into cheerful decent rooms ( same money) , with a fantastic view, and a bath, and a very comfy bed. Same cheap furniture. And a 60% discoubt for the previous night. We will assume the 40% we paid was for the food. Which was part yummy, part over cooked.Eggs at breakfast were cooked beautifully second time around each day.
The staff were polite, friendly and very helpful, and the position of the hotel is great ( apart from the alleyway) and I'm sure that in the summer the gardens are fabulous. It could be great here......ps I've rated it on our second night.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Ewhurst Green, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed here for one night on our way down to Cornwall.We had a lovely big room with sea view and a good sized bathroom and two lloyd loom armchairs with a little seating area in the bedroom.A good range of tea and biscuits were provided and these items were replenished in the turn down service.
There is no lift but the gentleman on reception carried our cases up to our room and the staff would have carried them down in the morning if we had asked.
Dinner in the restaurant was very good- all freshly cooked and delicious.Breakfast was good too-my husband had a kipper which was large and moist and the bacon was very good and eggs had a bright yellow yolk so certainly free range.
We would happily return to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Heather S
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Just returned from a three day break (mid week and no weddings!) and I couldn't fault our experience. We had the Gould Suite which was stunning, and had excellent room service of our food so we could eat in the bay window. All the staff were delightful, and we were made to feel very valued and welcome. Yes the teapots are tiny (previous review) but I just asked for a bigger one! The food was delicious, and although cooked breakfast involved a wait, it was all cooked to order and was superb (no horrible trays of tepid cooked breakfast).

The location is amazing, and hotel and grounds were beautiful. Everywhere was clean, well looked after, and I cannot believe you would get a better base for a trip to Lyme and the surrounding area. I appreciate it may be different at week ends and peak times, but mid week it was still fairly busy and we had no problems at all. I can't wait to go back and would thoroughly recommend it.

Room Tip: try to get a room on the higher floors at the back of the hotel, as the views are stunning and bette...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mooma07
arundel, sussex
Reviewed 8 October 2013

The one thing you can't take away from this hotel is it's stunning location overlooking the bay and it's beautiful grounds that allow you to maximise the vista. We booked a weekend here to celebrate a significant anniversary, mainly on the strength of it's Tripadvisor rating, but I am disappointed to write that, on our stay anyway, it very much gave the impression of an establishment trading on it's reputation - and losing the battle!
First impressions were great: our welcome could not have been friendlier (and this lasted all weekend) and the hotel had a great ambience. Our room (No.6, a Poulet room) was very attractive with stunning views and a very comfortable huge bed. Lighting (often a problem in hotels) was excellent. The bathroom could not conceivably been an inch smaller! It was beautifully finished but impractical which made it a struggle to use. This could easily be mitigated with the installation of some shelving that would allow you to put your wash bags in one place and not have to juggle toiletries and make-up constantly.
Afternoon tea on the lawn was great - fabulous scones, but has to be marked down on the horrible small thick tea cups and tiny teapots which only allowed for two very small cups of tea - not what you want after a long car trip. If this sounds petty I am making the point because the Alexandra charges top rates (we paid over £600 for a 2 night stay, breakfast and dinner included) and so I expected top quality - bone china tea cups included!
Going to the bar before dinner we hit another problem: bar staff were charming but their English and bar knowledge was severely limited: my husbands beer (bottled bitter) came out of the fridge and when I ordered a Mohito from the menu I was told that it would take at least 10 minutes as the barman had never made one before and he would have to find out how to - I ordered a white wine instead. The language limitations of several members of staff was a constant problem throughout the weekend and resulted in several misunderstandings.
The dining room is very attractive and pleasant to eat in and the food is good with a very nice menu offering. It was good to see that there were no supplement charges. Service was haphazard but willing. There is a good, balanced, wine list.
The big problem was Saturday, our main day of stay. It was our intention in booking this hotel to have a restful weekend, taking full advantage of the hotel's setting and amenities so we were dismayed to learn, on coming down to (a very badly waited) breakfast that there was to be a wedding at the hotel that day and that the conservatory restaurant would be closed to hotel guests for the day. Please do not think me a killjoy - everyone's wedding should be one of the best day's of their lives - but the agenda of a wedding party is the complete opposite of the agenda of a couple, spending a lot of money, for a luxury weekend of R & R, and in small boutique hotel the two cannot exist side by side. At the very least we should have been advised about the wedding at the time of our booking! I feel very strongly about this. Not only could we not enjoy a leisurely lunch and/or afternoon tea in the conservatory overlooking the lawn and bay (weather was not good) but staff were diverted to preparing for the wedding and the small lounge was overcrowded not only by all the hotel guests having only one area to relax in but also by an overspill of wedding guests. Service was very poor, with long waits for food and drinks, tables not cleared or wiped. The wedding went on well into the evening -resources were stretched and so were demeanours of staff and guests alike!
The Alexandra needs to take a step back and consider in which direction it wants to go: we should have had the perfect weekend away here and we could have done but it was spoiled by a conflict of interest. I would add that I have not written anything here that I did not put to the management either on the feedback form or directly to the desk - they haven't bothered to respond and I feel that this reflects our weekend. You might not get better views but you will certainly get better value for (a lot of) money elsewhere.

Room Tip: Room 6 has wonderful views - but a very small bathroom
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank argent7
alexandrateam, General Manager at Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the hotel. I was very pleased that you like countless others who visit the Alexandra found the location and the surrounding Gardens to be as you say Stunning! We pride ourselves that we always try to give a wonderful customer experience. I fully take on board your comments concerning the bathroom, we are however a Grade 2 listed building and as a result the Hotel is limited in what we are allowed to do to alter internal room size but having looked again at the bathroom I will arrange for an aditional shelf to be fitted.
Our staff always do their very best to meet the customers needs and again I am encouraged to read that you found the Afternoon Tea, Dinner Menus and Wine list to be of a high standard. I am sorry that you found the Wedding Party distracting and that it had a negitative effect upon your stay. As a Hotel we like most others in the country offer our venue to Wedding Parties and for private functions and we always try to limit their impact upon other guests who are staying at the time.
Reviewed 30 September 2013

The hotel was booked for our sunday lunch more for the setting as apposed to the food. It was a golden anniversary celebration we booked for 7 of us. When we arrived the waiter told me off said the booking was for 6. I insisted my brother in law had booked it for 7 and had email confirmation. He wasnt happy but re arranged the table to fit. The manager I believe then approached me and he was very friendly sorting a table etc for our flowers/presents but soon changed when he realised we wouldn't be ordering champagne or wine. I guess he thought we weren't worth bothering with as we werent going to make any extra money.
The food came luke warm the veg option my husband and sister in law had was more like a starter. My son enjoyed his 1 slice of beef 2 roast pots yorkshire. He doesnt like Veg so I asked for extra pots they never came. Plus his 1 scoop of icecream came ro £11.50 expensive for a child's meal when it was sparce. The quality of the meat was good I enjoyed my lamb but the look we got when we asked for mint sauce!! Our dirty plates were finally cleared but then no one came back. We had to ask for dessert menus, ask for the order to be taken. We ordered coffee petie fours and asked if we could have it outside as we wanted to take photos. They didn't seem keen even though others were doing the same. We then had to ask for it 3 times before we finally got it but then petie fours were missing so had to go all the way back up to ask for them. I was told they were ready but he was to busy to bring them yet!!! It was like they've finished eating so we wont bother anymore. Paying the bill was hard enough it was at reception they hadnt informed the lady of our whole order she was trying to put it into a computer. I begrudge paying for over priced food and being made to feel like we imposed on them. The view was the best bit!!!

• Stayed September 2013
#1 of 1 in Axminster
Dorset House
Dorset House
#1 of 45 in Lyme Regis

Been to Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!