“Lovely property but I didn't rate the cottage or the prices”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lyme Regis
Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Lyme Regis
GreenLeadersGold level
Nice, France
“Lovely property but I didn't rate the cottage or the prices”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

The location and position of this hotel is fabulous. The walk through the gardens straight from the hotel down to the beach is wonderful. However... Don't stay in the cottage!
When I rang up to book I was told the room rate for the cottage or two rooms. I was told the cottage was being done up and would look lovely. It was more expensive but how often do I go to Lyme Regis, so I figured fine, let's go for it.
Despite being more expensive, it is certainly a much cheaper and second rate product compared to the hotel itself.
When we arrived, the cottage is in the car park and sometimes because space in the car park is such an issue you are shuffling along sideways past a car to reach the front door. When inside, the smell of paint fumes was overwhelming and unpleasant.
The TV didn't work - at all. Ok - you don't go to Lyme Regis to watch TV but over a 3 night stay you might watch 30 minutes whilst you are waiting for others to finish in the bath/ shower.
The bed was small - a 5 ft bed and it dipped in the middle. Whilst I love my husband, I want a good nights sleep rather than being rolled towards him on the slope of the bed. 3 uncomfortable nights with hardly any sleep.
When I went to check out, I mentioned the issues and not an eyelid was batted.
I then received the bill and was surprised to find breakfast wasn't included (because the cottage was self catering). Instead of therefore paying £360 a night, we were effectively paying £435. The breakfast was good, but had I known it wasn't included when we were already paying a premium for the cottage (which certainly wasn't worth it) I would have complained/negotiated more on the phone when I originally made the booking. Fumes aside (as I'm sure any future guests won't have this issue) you'll find cheap plastic furnishing. It looks as though it was done on by incredibly tight budget and does not reflect the personality of the main hotel at all.
The rest of the hotel was great - the main living room was very pretty, the breakfast room is fabulous with the most amazing views. I am sure weddings here would be fantastic.

Room Tip: Avoid the cottage and try to stay in the main hotel if possible. If you can only stay in the cottage...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank lucy s
alexandrateam, General Manager at Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear lucy s

Thank you for writing your review, I am very sorry that you were unsatisfied with the quality and interior décor of the cottage apartment. Although different in style to the main hotel, the design was geared more around family living and usability for a family holiday by the sea. For this reason we chose a more contemporary and clean feel rather than the carpeted, more sumptuous feeling of that of the hotel rooms. Habitat, John Lewis and others were used to create the look and I’m sorry if this was not to your taste but I can assure you that none are of a cheap quality.
With regard to the Television, I am somewhat puzzled as this appears to be working perfectly on my inspection. You mention that you informed us on check out but I wonder did you mention it at all before? If so my staff would certainly have taken steps to rectify the issue yet sadly, no one was aware of the problem until you were leaving.
The bed is very new and of a high quality, the same standard as in the main hotel and again on inspection I cannot find fault with it, although I completely understand your preference for a larger bed as you rightly say, it is only a 5ft bed. I shall certainly keep your comments in mind should a replacement become necessary.
Lastly I am sorry that you felt misled by the self catering rate but I feel that I must also point out that this is on our website and is explained at the time of booking. I shall however ensure that all reservationists ensure to emphasis this point to avoid any future misunderstandings.
Lastly I do wish you had asked to see me during your stay if you were unhappy and I would have done my utmost for you.
If you feel you would like to discuss anything in further detail, I would be most happy to hear from you.

Sean Smith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
romsey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

This is a classy and modern hotel with some very nice touches. Even though there was a wedding in the hotel, the guests did not suffer at all. The restaurant whilst not being fantastic value, is excellent food and great service. The rooms were fitted and decorated to an excellent standard and sleep quality was good. Breakfast was top notch - bumped into the local MP.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank kate r
alexandrateam, General Manager at Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Dear kate r

Thank you for writing your review, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Alexandra. We look forward to welcoming you back again one day.

Somerset
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

We came here for tea on Easter Saturday, I had been several times before, but my family hadn't. Our visit wouldn't have been a great profit making experience, but the service was appalling (friendly though).
For many people, going to The Alexandra for tea would be a big treat, as it should have been for us, but we waited an unbelievably long time and when we eventually saw what could have been tea for four, it travelled round the garden and then back to the kitchen. Judicious enquiries eventually produced our order, but by then we had gone off the idea.
lovely place, but needs to up its service.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Holsan
alexandrateam, General Manager at Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Holsam

Thank you for writing your review, I am very sorry and most concerned to read your comments regarding your afternoon tea experience on Easter Saturday. Even more so because I myself ran that service and was regularly checking tables outside and in all honesty I was not aware or made aware of your situation. As I am sure you can understand this has come as a complete surprise to me and I am left wondering how on earth this can have happened, particularly when I was in charge and present throughout the afternoon. I wonder would you be so kind as to contact me directly at the hotel so that we may discuss the matter in more detail?

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

We couldn't have asked for a more perfect place to spend our wedding day. Fiona the wedding coordinator made us both so relaxed. She has supported us every step of the way making sure every wish that we had came true. All the staff at the hotel were very friendly and approachable and many made a marked effort to wish us well after the big day was over. The day ran seamlessly with all waiters and waitresses attending our every need. The food on the day was a particular triumph and friends and family have all remarked how much they enjoyed it from the canapés through to the dessert! This place really is a hidden gem in Lyme Regis with amazing views that can be taken in from the garden or from the comfort of your own room. Thank you everyone at the Alexandra hotel for making our day so special. X

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mrs_Holmes2014
alexandrateam, General Manager at Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Mrs_Holmes2014

Thank you for writing your review you are very welcome. I am so pleased that we were able to make your Wedding day so special for you. It was a pleasure to meet you and we wish you both all the very best for the future. We hope to see you all again one day.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

My daughter's wedding held in the conservatory at the hotel. The wedding organiser Fiona was excellent, advising, supporting and ensuring the day went without a hitch. The beautiful views and hotel grounds made for stunning photographs. Excellent food, wine and service. The hotel staff were helpful and supportive. Nothing was too much trouble. A very special day made perfect.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Seedypam
Dear Seedypam

Thank you for writing your review, I am delighted and so pleased that the Alexandra was able to make your Daughter's Wedding a day to remember. It was a pleasure to hold this event for you, we wish the newlyweds all the very best for the future and we hope to see you all again someday.

Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

We had a much needed break of four days in Lyme Regis and we cannot thank the staff of the Alexandra Hotel enough for the excellent service and atmosphere they created which helped us relax and enjoy our break. The food experience was exactly that - breakfast was deliciously fresh and locally sourced, as was each evening's meal. The changing menu meant we discovered new dishes each evening. Presentation in the restaurant and the hotel overall was impeccable and the service of an extremely high standard. We took in the atmosphere of "The Lieutenant's Woman" town, scenery and the Cobb, walked through beautiful gardens and wished the weather had been calmer to experience a fishing trip! We have tried booking in again for another four days but it is a very popular destination. Soon, we will return.

Room Tip: All rooms have a magnificent view. Check out the website as it is as shown.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PAMELA H
Dear PAMELA H

Thank you for writing a review of your recent four day visit with us. I am delighted that you found the Alexandra Hotel to be warm, welcoming and relaxing. Every effort is taken to ensure all our guests are made to feel at home during their stay. We look forward to welcoming you back one day.

Bradford-on-Avon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

We stayed for two nights this week with our teenage sons. The hotel is nicely decorated and spotless, and our room had a stunning view over the lawn and the sea. We were really well looked after by everyone we came into contact with. We ate out both evenings, but we did have lunch at the hotel which was excellent. The gardens are beautiful and I spent a morning on one of the loungers, reading in the sunshine. There's a real air of relaxation, partly due to the location and partly due to the quiet efficiency of the staff. My only minor niggle is the temperamental wifi, but we will definitely return whenever we need a breathing space. Lovely!

Room Tip: Gould overlooks the lawn and has a great bay window with sea views.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Edsmum984
Dear Edsmum984

Thank you for writing your review of our hotel the Alexandra. I was so pleased that you and your family enjoyed the time spent with us. The gardens are really begining to spring into life now and are full of colour. I am sorry that the wifi signal was variable during your stay. We are endeavouring to improve it as much as we can, I look forward to welcoming you back one day.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyme Regis
#1 of 1 in Axminster
Dorset House
Dorset House
#1 of 47 in Lyme Regis

Been to Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!