“Looks nice, but disappointing ”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lyme Regis
Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Lyme Regis
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Popped in for a pot of tea and iced tea. Lovely view over the bay. Waited nearly half an hour. Asked very politely if it was possible to check if it was coming and I was told it was very busy. I counted 10 people outside and inside! My tea then arrived almost immediately. Earl grey lovely, but my husband's iced tea tasted and looked like iced water. The replacement was much better and arrived with mint, lemon and an apology.
A disappointing experience for a hotel that is clearly trying to market itself as upmarket.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Mel_Tigger
alexandrateam, General Manager at Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Mel_Tigger

Thank you for writing your review, I am very sorry to read your comments with regard to the wait time for your drinks that afternoon and I can only apologise for the delay in your order reaching you. I have discussed this with the Restaurant Manager and the whole Restaurant team as I can assure you we take all feedback from our guests both positive and negative very seriously.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights recently on their dinner, bed and breakfast rate. Had a lovely time and the hotel location is terrific. A short walk down to the beach and amusements and if you go in the other direction you are in the town. The gardens are lovely and very pleasant to sit out in for a pre dinner drink. The sun beds are some of the most comfortable I have seen.

Our room was large but with no view (I had been warned on booking and offered a sea view room if I was willing to move part way through the stay) but well furnished and with a good sized bathroom. The housekeeping was excellent with great little touches like a weather forecast with the turndown service and top ups of the tea etc. twice a day.

Meals were tasty and well presented and just enough of the menu changed daily so you could try different things. Generally service in the restaurant was very good with the exception of our last morning when there seemed to be a novice restaurant manager on duty who wasn't doing a very good job (orders taken that then didn't appear, juices and buffet not topped up, orders not taken until you tracked someone down); could forgive this though as they quite quickly drafted in a couple of extra people and things began to run more smoothly.

I think the staff made this hotel. They were all very friendly and helpful and the girls on reception were really good a moving the cars around in the car park!

Room Tip: We were in room 10 which was large but did suffer a little from the noise of an extractor fan from t...

Dear HUNTINGPARTY

Thank you for writing your review of our hotel the Alexandra, I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us while visiting Lyme. The staff at the hotel make every effort to ensure that all our guests are made to feel welcome and at home. We look forward to welcoming you back to one day.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

As an annual Lyme Regis visitor (4 generations of family annually getting together for a week here), this year we decided to stay an extra night just the two of us as the weather had been so good all week. We managed the day before to get a booking at the Alexandra which was fortuitous. In previous years we had walked by but never visited. So what did we think... the views and the gardens are the best in this seaside town, with perfect unobstructed views of the sea. Our sea view room had an amazing view and the room was as expected of a good boutique feel with a comfy bed. Service did vary, some due to new staff but all in all if you remember that this is Lyme and not London everything worked... it is after all a small hotel and they had little touches in service and presentation which were welcomed. The food in the restaurant was good, not amazing, but certainly fine and i'd eat there again when in Lyme (the conservatory view for dinner is a must); wine selection, whilst could be more sophisticated is good for Lyme and reasonably priced. All in all, still the best in Lyme and we will be choosing the Alexandra as our default extra nights stay in the future. Thank you Alexandra for continuing our fine times in Lyme, with you we found an extra little gem.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are a must - great view.
3  Thank onefliesoneswims

Dear onefiesoneswims

Thank you for writing your review I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the Alexandra. I am pleased to read your very positive comments and that you have chosen to visit us again when next you are visiting Lyme, we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Whilst on a short break in Lyme we chose to visit the Alexandra for dinner on my birthday. I mentioned this when I booked the table, and though I certainly wouldn't expect a treat of any kind, you might think someone would say "happy birthday", or "have you had a good day", but by the general attitude of the staff you could see within a few minutes that was never going to happen. I doubt the receptionist even made a note that it was a celebration meal, unlike some restaurants that specifically ask when you book if it's a special occasion.

Service was the bare minimum, no warmth or friendliness. The bread was dry and hard, I asked for some more, and within a few minutes a warm roll arrived, which was also curiously dry in no time at all. Our starters of duck were just about ok. The steak was the best part of the meal, badly let down by a greasy potato rosti, served underneath the steak, and therefore soggy, as it soaked up the juices from the meat. The beetroot it was served with was rock hard, and our side of veg was sugar snap peas and carrots, nothing too exciting there either. Dessert was ok, just not as lemony as you would expect a lemon dessert to be. For the quality of the food the meal was, in my opinion, overpriced.
To be fair the view from the conservatory restaurant is very good, but the atmosphere is so flat, and in hindsight was it a very bad choice for a celebratory meal. We have been residents here before, and eaten on several occasions too, but this visit didn't match up to our previous experiences at all, and I won't be returning in a hurry.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank herewardtw

Dear herewardtw

Thank you for writing your review I am very sorry that your dining experience with us did not live up to your expectations. Having spoken to the receptionist who took your booking she did unfortunately not realise that it was a celebration meal for you. In such cases this is written in the notes and we do make sure that congratulations are given, I am sorry that this misunderstanding resulted in us failing to wish you a happy birthday as we normally do. I have also passed on your comments with regard to the food to our Head Chef who appreciates all feedback from our guests both positive and negative.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

we dined at the alexandra hotel for a romantic meal. we arrived early and was offered to sit in the hotel lounge with a drink. a very comfortable room with a view over the bay.
we were seated in the conservatory which also had beautiful views of the bay and the well kept gardens.
the food arrived and was well presented and the tastes were delicious.
the staff were very friendly and professional.

1  Thank richard b
alexandrateam, General Manager at Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Dear richard b

Thank you for writing your review of the Alexandra, I am pleased that you chose to dine with us on such a special occasion. I have passed on your comments to our Head Chef which I know will be greatly appreciated by him and the whole Restaurant team.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Just enjoyed a 2 night stay at Hotel Alexandra and feeling very happy. We arrived on Thursday afternoon to enjoy a lovely afternoon tea on the lawn. Staff were very informative and accommodating to all our requests. Our room was very comfortable, clean and all staff very welcoming. Enjoyed a fabulous dinner Thursday night with good wine at a reasonable price. Despite us wishing to move to conservatory as restaurant really warm during sunny day and evening, it was no trouble at all for us to move to a cooler spot after we had ordered. Even a late drink on the decking overlooking the Cobb was no trouble . Following day we probably had the best cooked breakfast in a long time. Service again was spot on. Had dinner at River Cottage booked Friday night so were given directions, a key, and the night porters number for our late return. I even left my phone charger in the room when I left this morning which the hotel called me to confirm was in the post to me already. Not a cheap hotel to stay in of course, but if you value good service, food and location, and happy to pay for it, you won't be disappointed. Wish we could have stayed longer and hope to return soon.

Dear EJL1

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel the Alexandra. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your 2 night stay with us. We always endeavour to make every guest feel welcome and we pride ourselves in being able to deliver first class service. We look forward to your return to Lyme Regis and the Hotel.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

What an amazing jewel! A spectacular location with a million dollar view. Rooms are well appointed and staff are extremely helpful. Food and ambience can't be beat! Truly one of the very best we have ever stayed at. Don't miss this one!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Kathryn H, General Manager at Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Dear Cindy_49

Thank you so much for writing such a lovely review of our hotel the Alexandra. All the staff try their very best to make sure that all our guests feel welcome and at home during their stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit and we hope to see you again one day.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyme Regis
#1 of 2 in Evershot
Lyme Townhouse
Lyme Townhouse
#8 of 45 in Lyme Regis

Been to Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!