“Nearly there but not quite”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lyme Regis
Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Lyme Regis
GreenLeadersGold level
Gloucester
“Nearly there but not quite”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed in July and had a room with a view to die for but that was about it. The food was good but being in johansens hotel guide we were expecting 5 star luxury and the rate of £215 per night was steep. There seemed to be lots of people in some places and no one in others. I had to tell the receptionist that the ladies loo could do with attention, obviously not inspected recently. Lots of staff in the dining room and it would seem to be the main business of the hotel. The hotel has all the ambiance and looks the part but does not seem to have a heart and someone overseeing things. It seemed as though the hotel, in high season, was running on a skeleton staff. A nice break but we paid a lot less for a b&b in Beer and everything there was top notch. Just can't put my finger on what was not quite right. The cracked basin in our en-suite was a bit grotty and trying to flush the loo, which was apparently new, needed two hands to flush. A chocolate each on the day of arrival - only a small thing but for the price how about a choc in the room every other night? The bottle of chilled water at night was greatly appreciated.

Room Tip: We had room 23 with the view that was out of this world and away from the road on the opposite side...
3 Thank cuddles1108
alexandrateam, General Manager at Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear cuddles1108

Thank you for writing your review, I am very sorry that you were not entirely satisfied with your recent stay with us. We use all guest feedback both good and bad as a learning tool and we will fully investigate all the points which you have raised in your review considering each one with a view to how we can improve. Thank you again for the feedback it is much appreciated.

Sean Smith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Alexandra on our wedding night. We had one of their finest rooms which was beautiful with stunning views over the sea. We spent a few hours recovering in the garden the next day which again is utterly stunning.

The only negative points I would suggest are that the staff are a bit disinterested. Apart from a lovely local girl who helped us on Monday while everyone else was receiving barrista training. Also we were very excited about breakfast but were underwhelmed. The buffet was more b&b than hotel.

But! Lyme is beautiful and the hotel is in a fabulous spot so would still recommend.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lsweets501
Dear Isweets501

Thank you for writing your review, I am very pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us here at the Alexandra. It is true that we are always seeking to improve the quality of our service and the product we provide and Barristra Training is an important part of that. The staff can at times be extremely busy however as has been mentioned in a previous review, you need only ask and they will always endeavour to assist in whatever way they can. I am pleased that the member of staff you mention who was covering the front of house during the training was indeed able to help you.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

The Alexandra Hotel has a very special place in our hearts. We have been coming annually for 6 years and have alreafy booked for our 7th. It has a welcoming, homely feel and the staff will do anything they can to make our stay a happy one....they have periods that they are rushed off their feet due to the hotel's popularity but all you need do is ask. The food is exquisite and the surroundings are unbeatable in the area. We love this hotel and can find no fault with the professional, friendly staff who make us feel welcome every year. See you next year Alexandra, am already counting the days.....359 and counting!!!!!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Hannah C
Dear Hannah C

Thank you for writing your review, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the Alexandra. I will pass on your comments to the staff which are very much appreciated. It was a pleasure to welcome you back again and we look forward to your next visit to us.

London
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Dinner at the Alexandra was an unforgettable experience for all the wrong reasons.

We came into the hotel entrance and we directed straight into the bar area. No welcome, no frontline presence, no one seemed in charge, I walked up to a woman standing at the bar and she ticked us off a list and said to have a drink in the bar until our table was ready. We took a seat. then she asked us for a drink, even though I hadn't see the menu yet. Was then handed the menus and chose our drinks. However, the barman was dashing between the bar and the garden and kept promising us a drink each time he sped past. In the meantime, other customers who arrived after us were taken into the restaurant before us. When I asked the woman at the bar if we could go through to our table, she said to take a seat again, 15 mins had passed and still no drink.

Eventually we were taken into the restaurant, and was seated in the middle row of this this long room. It was well decorated with a good view of sea but the restaurant was three quarters empty - not sure why we had to wait so long to be seated? The muzak played in the background were well known popular classics but songs sung by unknown singers, badly.

We finally got to order drinks at the table but then had to wait another 20 minutes to get them, so that's 35 minutes wait in total on a warm evening! The English sparkling wine tasted wonderful when it did arrive though.

The waiter took our food and drink order, but showed no interest in us: the paying customer, or offered no information the food he was selling, he didn't recommend a wine, he merely took the order in a perfunctory manner.

The next issue was getting a bread roll. Where we were seated you had a number of waiting staff rushing round you the whole time, all looking very busy, with plates both dirty and with food coming straight from the kitchen and looking rushed of their feet, but rarely stopping at our table. It seemed that all the staff had a turn carrying the bread roll basket, but a bread roll never reached our table until after 40 minutes, when I stopped our waiter in mid rush and said can we have one, he begrudgingly brought one through a minute later.

The food itself was very good. the scallops were moist and delicious, but with too much jus, the mains of beef sirloin were a bit too well done, supposed to medium to well, with not enough jus so the meat got a bit dry, the potato was a bit hard too. We could have done with some vegetables, but these were not suggested by the waiter when the original order was taken.

We decided not to stay for dessert, as no one had asked how our meal was during our meal and when our one and only drink ran out, no one offered us another drink. These simple service touches go a long way when adopted. It's a shame as the cheese board looked really promising.

I also decided not to add a tip, which I have never done before. The lack of service made me feel invisible as a customer throughout the meal, and when I did demand attention I was made to feel like an nuisance. The fact that the waiter snatched our debit card away from table and took it to the bar, without explanation, after I had entered the pin into the card machine was the 'icing on the cake' of an appalling evenings service. I thought restaurants weren't allowed to do this practice? If the waiter had simply explained that there was a bluetooth issue, I would have accompanied him to the bar if asked.

As we left the restaurant we caught two waiters rushing to our table to see what tip we had left. Shocking.

This restaurant is in urgent need of a restaurant manager to inject some leadership, direction and attach customer focus to the team to match the quality of food and drink. In the meantime I wouldn't recommend that you rush to reserve a table here.

1 Thank yodarit
alexandrateam, General Manager at Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear yodarit

Thank you for writing your review, I am so very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your recent experience in our Restaurant. I can only apologise and assure you that we take all feedback from our guests both positive and negative very seriously and I will certainly be looking into the points which you have raised. We have experienced an unpredictably busy period never seen in previous years and service has been affected. Please contact me directly so I can make the appropriate arrangements to make things right for you.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My wife and I had heard a lot about the Alexandra, and I have been tempted to try it for many years. Lyme Regis has always been a great escape for us and this time was no exception. We had tried to book a room in the hotel, but due to their popularity we stayed in a lovely guesthouse just down the road and opted to visit the Alexandra for dinner.

We arrived a few minutes late for the table, worrying that they might have given it away already! Not so, when we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by a charming young man at Reception, who showed us through to the bar. There we were met by more smiles and told that "it was no problem!" upon which we were seated straight away.

Having been a big fan of seafood my entire life, I opted for the scrummy Seafood salad to start, my wife had the carpaccio (she is not as inclined towards seafood as I am!) which was presented beautifully and I was assured by my wife that it was delicious!

For main course (following the trend!) I opted for the hake - perfectly cooked and a beautiful balance of flavours! My wife enjoyed her perfectly cooked lamb so much it was the quietest she had been all day! We enjoyed a rather lovely bottle of the Pouilly Fumé which washed everything down with ease!

And for desert - my wife had the brownie(the best she had tasted) and I had the Creme brulee(the sugar on the top cracked as I put my spoon in it - ideal)

The staff were clearly very busy that evening, but that is not to say that we were ignored at any time... In fact just the opposite! Nothing was too much trouble for them, and they even let us enjoy our coffee and petit fours out on the decking area overlooking the Cobb... Bliss!

We will definitely be returning next time we come to Lyme - our favourite getaway spot, and now this might be our favourite place to eat.

1 Thank John M
alexandrateam, General Manager at Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear John M

Thank you for writing your review, we are so pleased that you and your wife chose to dine at the Alexandra Restaurant and that it met your expectations for the occasion. We certainly hope that you do come back to visit us again and I will pass on your comments to all the hotel staff and the Head Chef.

Lyme Regis
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We have just had a shockingly bad lunch at the Alexandra Hotel. We are local and know and admire the stunning location of the hotel. On our arrival we were shown through to the conservatory for our lunch. The temperature was beyond description not helped by the fan above us which only seemed to move hot air. Due to the temperature we decided cold beer might help us cool, only one brand of beer was on offer, why? Devon and Dorset provide fantastic breweries, fine lager available from any one of them. The waiter poured my beer into the wrong glass, shuffled off to get a clean glass, he clean foregot, on asking for the glass he reappeared too exhausted to pour the beer. The starters, my partners choice, prawn in tempura, was hunt the prawn. My overpriced seafood salad consisted of a few prawns and some octopus on a lettuce leaf with an indifferent dressing. On clearing our plates the waiter asked "how did your food go down" ? Most odd. The main courses were average pub food standard. We left as soon as we could to gulp fresh air. What a waste, fantastic location, beautiful gardens overlooking the ever lovely Lyme Bay. They need a new chef and some enthusiastic staff.

4 Thank Jacqui F
Dear Jacqui F

Thank you for writing your review, I can only apologise for your recent lunch experience with us here at the Alexandra. I have spoken to all the staff and discussed the points which you have raised. I would certainly welcome the opportunity to discuss the matter in more detail with you so that I may get a better understanding of what occurred, I wonder would you be so kind as to contact me, we have experienced an unpredictably busy period never seen in previous years and service has been affected, I would appreciate the chance to correct this for you.

cobham surrey
Reviewed 28 July 2014

For our fourth visit, overall, our stay was very disappointing and awful value for money.

Didn't get one decent night's sleep.
Food not up to the expected standard given their recent food awards.

Good, friendly, helpful receptionist.
Nice room, comfortable bed, good sea view.
Room cleaned and tidied regularly.

Window glass distorts the view making photography impossible through windows that only open partially.
Broadband inaccessible on my PC in the bedroom.
Bathroom mirror useless for shaving. Very slippery bath, no shower mat, very hard to unpack shower cap, shower gel dispenser useless.
Strange, nocturnal, noises coming from the room next door.
Noisy gulls endlessly night and day.

Food varied from quite good to really poor.
Dining room staff apparently untrained and very lazy.
Cold toast.
Fish with - not just a bone but a whole row of them.
Used crockery not cleared away.
Serving from the wrong side.
Wine spilled on the tablecloth.
Had to ask repeatedly for ice to put into luke-warm water.
Tablecloths laid badly with very uneven margins.
Screaming child in a high chair.
Mobile phones being used constantly during breakfast - not even photographing their food!
Some 'reserved' tables at breakfast - what's that all about?

Car parking/ unparking the best entertainment but make sure you leave plenty of time.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the sea are very noisy and very expensive. Excellent views but poor for sleeping.
2 Thank ernestwoods
Dear ernestwoods

Thank you for writing your review, I very sorry that your recent stay with us at the hotel did not live up to your expectations. I welcome all guest comments both positive and negative and take all such issues very seriously. I can assure you that I have fully taken on board all the points which you have raised in your review and I will be looking at each one in turn with a view as to how I may improve and resolve them for the future. I thank you again for your feedback it has not gone unnoticed. We have experienced an unpredictably busy period never seen in previous years and service has been affected. Please contact me directly so I can make the appropriate arrangements to make things right for you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyme Regis
#1 of 1 in Axminster
Dorset House
Dorset House
#1 of 45 in Lyme Regis

Been to Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!