Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant
Fernhill Hotel(Charmouth)
Hensleigh House(Charmouth)
Kerrington House(Axminster)
View Hotel
All reviewscream teasea viewlyme baylovely hotelsconeswine listcar parkmain restaurantsunday lunchscallopsno liftrelaxing breaklovely gardenjurassic coastreturn visithigh standardold building
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This is an odd review because the hotel is great but the restaurant not so much. Let's start with the hotel the rooms good the view stunning and really represents good value as it is in an area of outstanding natural beauty and makes the most of it.
So onto the restaurant. Breakfast is great, I really wanted to give a good review but the evening meal wasn't good, The starter was great but the main a disaster. I ordered the gurnard on a yellow pea and crab cake only because I love crab cakes. The gurnard was great the crab cake was raw. It was prepped but not finished so tasted of cardboard and cold potato. I complained, the waitress laughed and said she would tell the chef, she didn't. I asked to speak to the manager who didn't handle it well.
We ate in Hix the night before which was amazing. The issue is the hotel, bare in mind it is good, makes you eat on Friday and Saturday night!! Fine as long as they don't serve uncooked food, and more importantly don't deal with the complaint well.
Sort out the restaurant the hotel is great!!!!

R

Room Tip: Sea views are great
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Rcarter04
alexandrateam, General Manager at Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear Rcarter04

Thank you for writing your review and I welcome your positive comments regarding the Hotel. I am very sorry that your main course did not live up to your expectations and I have certainly passed onto our Head Chef your concerns regarding the Crab Cakes served to you that evening. I am very sorry that he was unable to leave the Kitchen and speak to you in person but at the time he was in the middle of a very busy service but he would have been available to speak to you at a later point in the evening. The waitress concerned certainly did not mean any disrespect and I know she did inform the Chef at the time, we offered an alternative main course, we offered you free Petit fours and Coffee all of which you declined. If you would like to contact me directly at the hotel, I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss this matter further with you.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed in July and had a room with a view to die for but that was about it. The food was good but being in johansens hotel guide we were expecting 5 star luxury and the rate of £215 per night was steep. There seemed to be lots of people in some places and no one in others. I had to tell the receptionist that the ladies loo could do with attention, obviously not inspected recently. Lots of staff in the dining room and it would seem to be the main business of the hotel. The hotel has all the ambiance and looks the part but does not seem to have a heart and someone overseeing things. It seemed as though the hotel, in high season, was running on a skeleton staff. A nice break but we paid a lot less for a b&b in Beer and everything there was top notch. Just can't put my finger on what was not quite right. The cracked basin in our en-suite was a bit grotty and trying to flush the loo, which was apparently new, needed two hands to flush. A chocolate each on the day of arrival - only a small thing but for the price how about a choc in the room every other night? The bottle of chilled water at night was greatly appreciated.

Room Tip: We had room 23 with the view that was out of this world and away from the road on the opposite side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cuddles1108

Dear cuddles1108

Thank you for writing your review, I am very sorry that you were not entirely satisfied with your recent stay with us. We use all guest feedback both good and bad as a learning tool and we will fully investigate all the points which you have raised in your review considering each one with a view to how we can improve. Thank you again for the feedback it is much appreciated.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Alexandra on our wedding night. We had one of their finest rooms which was beautiful with stunning views over the sea. We spent a few hours recovering in the garden the next day which again is utterly stunning.

The only negative points I would suggest are that the staff are a bit disinterested. Apart from a lovely local girl who helped us on Monday while everyone else was receiving barrista training. Also we were very excited about breakfast but were underwhelmed. The buffet was more b&b than hotel.

But! Lyme is beautiful and the hotel is in a fabulous spot so would still recommend.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lsweets501

Dear Isweets501

Thank you for writing your review, I am very pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us here at the Alexandra. It is true that we are always seeking to improve the quality of our service and the product we provide and Barristra Training is an important part of that. The staff can at times be extremely busy however as has been mentioned in a previous review, you need only ask and they will always endeavour to assist in whatever way they can. I am pleased that the member of staff you mention who was covering the front of house during the training was indeed able to help you.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

The Alexandra Hotel has a very special place in our hearts. We have been coming annually for 6 years and have alreafy booked for our 7th. It has a welcoming, homely feel and the staff will do anything they can to make our stay a happy one....they have periods that they are rushed off their feet due to the hotel's popularity but all you need do is ask. The food is exquisite and the surroundings are unbeatable in the area. We love this hotel and can find no fault with the professional, friendly staff who make us feel welcome every year. See you next year Alexandra, am already counting the days.....359 and counting!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Hannah C

Dear Hannah C

Thank you for writing your review, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the Alexandra. I will pass on your comments to the staff which are very much appreciated. It was a pleasure to welcome you back again and we look forward to your next visit to us.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Dinner at the Alexandra was an unforgettable experience for all the wrong reasons.

We came into the hotel entrance and we directed straight into the bar area. No welcome, no frontline presence, no one seemed in charge, I walked up to a woman standing at the bar and she ticked us off a list and said to have a drink in the bar until our table was ready. We took a seat. then she asked us for a drink, even though I hadn't see the menu yet. Was then handed the menus and chose our drinks. However, the barman was dashing between the bar and the garden and kept promising us a drink each time he sped past. In the meantime, other customers who arrived after us were taken into the restaurant before us. When I asked the woman at the bar if we could go through to our table, she said to take a seat again, 15 mins had passed and still no drink.

Eventually we were taken into the restaurant, and was seated in the middle row of this this long room. It was well decorated with a good view of sea but the restaurant was three quarters empty - not sure why we had to wait so long to be seated? The muzak played in the background were well known popular classics but songs sung by unknown singers, badly.

We finally got to order drinks at the table but then had to wait another 20 minutes to get them, so that's 35 minutes wait in total on a warm evening! The English sparkling wine tasted wonderful when it did arrive though.

The waiter took our food and drink order, but showed no interest in us: the paying customer, or offered no information the food he was selling, he didn't recommend a wine, he merely took the order in a perfunctory manner.

The next issue was getting a bread roll. Where we were seated you had a number of waiting staff rushing round you the whole time, all looking very busy, with plates both dirty and with food coming straight from the kitchen and looking rushed of their feet, but rarely stopping at our table. It seemed that all the staff had a turn carrying the bread roll basket, but a bread roll never reached our table until after 40 minutes, when I stopped our waiter in mid rush and said can we have one, he begrudgingly brought one through a minute later.

The food itself was very good. the scallops were moist and delicious, but with too much jus, the mains of beef sirloin were a bit too well done, supposed to medium to well, with not enough jus so the meat got a bit dry, the potato was a bit hard too. We could have done with some vegetables, but these were not suggested by the waiter when the original order was taken.

We decided not to stay for dessert, as no one had asked how our meal was during our meal and when our one and only drink ran out, no one offered us another drink. These simple service touches go a long way when adopted. It's a shame as the cheese board looked really promising.

I also decided not to add a tip, which I have never done before. The lack of service made me feel invisible as a customer throughout the meal, and when I did demand attention I was made to feel like an nuisance. The fact that the waiter snatched our debit card away from table and took it to the bar, without explanation, after I had entered the pin into the card machine was the 'icing on the cake' of an appalling evenings service. I thought restaurants weren't allowed to do this practice? If the waiter had simply explained that there was a bluetooth issue, I would have accompanied him to the bar if asked.

As we left the restaurant we caught two waiters rushing to our table to see what tip we had left. Shocking.

This restaurant is in urgent need of a restaurant manager to inject some leadership, direction and attach customer focus to the team to match the quality of food and drink. In the meantime I wouldn't recommend that you rush to reserve a table here.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yodarit
alexandrateam, General Manager at Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear yodarit

Thank you for writing your review, I am so very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your recent experience in our Restaurant. I can only apologise and assure you that we take all feedback from our guests both positive and negative very seriously and I will certainly be looking into the points which you have raised. We have experienced an unpredictably busy period never seen in previous years and service has been affected. Please contact me directly so I can make the appropriate arrangements to make things right for you.