“really enjoyable”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lyme Regis
Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Lyme Regis
GreenLeadersGold level
LONDON
“really enjoyable”
Reviewed 20 November 2009

A very enjoyable few days at the Alexandra. good food, really helpful staff.
In the centre on Lyme so ideal for a walk down to the shops, on to the beach or on to the cob.
I like the new decor in the public rooms and the less formal conservatory dining.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank CERDIC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Southampton
Reviewed 18 November 2009

Having read some of the other negative reviews on this site I wonder if I was staying in the same hotel. My wife and I spent 3 nights here in November and enjoyed almost every aspect of our stay.
The seaview roooms are worth paying extra for as the views are superb as are the gardens and all in all the staff are pretty good if perhaps some lack sparkle at reception. The bedding is crisp white linen and good comfortable king size beds.We ate in the conservatory restaurant on one occassion which was very good quality , tasty and a pretty good well priced wine list. Breakfasts are excellent.
We will probably return. I should add that I travel extensively throughout the world staying in top hotels and I am not easily impressed, so I would give The Alexandra 8/10..

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DougMat1
Oxford
Reviewed 15 November 2009

A hotel that has almost everything you could wish for.
We stayed in a seaview room ( which is a must) to wake up in the morning and see that view was enough, add huge comfy bed, beautifully decorated and spacious room, what more could you ask for.
The hotel itself is cosy, elegant, has a beautiful restaurant and conservatory which looks out onto immaculately gardens and views to the sea.
Great idea to offer a 3 for 2 deal mid-week, during close season.
The only negative thing I could think of was the restaurant food, the menu was too nouveau ( hardly a mouthful)

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amelia640xford
oxfordshire
Reviewed 3 November 2009

We took our granddaughter to stay for the night at the Alexandra at half term. What a lovely lovely hotel with old fashioned service, wonderful views, lovely rooms, lovely food - everything. The only thing that was not perfect was the price - even though we booked by walking in the door on the day we were still charge £185 for a room with a z bed which was the full price - I was daft enough not to ask for a discount - perhaps because I was overwhelmed by how lovely the hotel and staff were. We were also nearly charged an additional £20 for the z-bed which would have been a mistake as this had already been included in the room rate. Otherwise the hotel was simply wonderful and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank arderne
Cotswolds
Reviewed 13 October 2009

I recently stayed in Lyme Regis with my boyfriend and we went to the Alexandra hotel for dinner, unlike some of the reviews on here, we thought it was lovely. We enjoy eating out and often eat in quality restaurants in London, our meal at the Alexandra didn't disappoint. It was quite expensive at £36.50 each but it really was delicious and the dining room was very elegant. Waiting staff were also very good and they had a very good selection of wine.

Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank English_Rose_1096
london
Reviewed 6 October 2009

My family and I returned to the Alexandra Hotel last weekend to escape London for a much needed rest and love all the work that has been done since we last visited. The reception area and sitting room look so bright and well updated with stripped floors and new furniture, the bar area also. The bedroom .. those bed was soooo comfy and the decor is really refreshing. We stayed in a new family room with mezzanine .. great design ..the children loved it.
The food in the restaurant was delicious, puddings to die for !
When we return I look forward to the weather being warmer so we can eat on the new deck with its super views of the bay.
Really pleased to see the standard is still high and the attention to detail has not been lost.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank LondonBean2
West Midlands
Reviewed 2 September 2009

My husband and I decided to splash out and book a really nice hotel for our wedding anniversary. We spotted the Alexandra on the web and was taken in by the pictures and resume. My husband booked a room and when we arrived we struggled to park in the small, cramped car park which was also being used for delivery vans etc (now know why it isn't shown on the website). There were no staff around to greet us and we had to wait for service at the reception. The appearance already seemed different than that to the website a mixture of shabby, cheap quality decor trying desperately to be chic and eclectic. The weather was appalling and we were given an umbrella which I assumed was to use for a walk in town, should we dare to brave the torrential rain and gale winds a blowing! However, we were shocked to discover that it was for use when accessing our external....yes external room. We had to quite literally climb over families and small children to get out of the coservatory door and shown to room 17 a Poulet room, which was basically a sort of outhouse attached to the hotel. The porter noticing our shocked expressions hastily disappeared after showing us in the front door (it seemed like some sort of door to a tatty flat). There were 1970 style dimplex radiators all around the room, which were not switched on and I fear even with all 3 of them blazing they would have had difficulty in heating or cheering up what can only be described as damp, depressing, shabby, worn, dated, grubby excuse for a hotel room. I wouldn't have paid £50 for it had I have known not least the £210 we had parted with for bed, breakfast and dinner. We were shocked to say the least and couldn't imagine spending an hour in there without reaching for a rope and a chair, not least a night! It is singularly one of the most awful rooms I have ever come accross! The bathroom was tiny yet there was a random 3 drawer chest rammed in, the formica had peeled away revealing the chip board underneath..nice! Interstingly the room was adjacent and looked directly onto a public walkway, there was a large window in the bathroom which did not have frosted glass in!There were ring stainson the furniture, stains on the carpet and dust around the ceilings and skirtings. There were two single beds pushed together topped off with a 1980's chinz style faded seen better days throw on! (hardly the romantic break we had planned). The shock soon gave way to reveal our anger and extreme disappointment. We felt duped, not by the price but the owners deliberate attempt to charge us full price for what we were told after complaining, was a room that had not been refurbished! We are all for paying a bit extra for something nice but the renting of this room for the price they charges is scandalous. We complained, was told by the young male receptionist that there was no more room at the inn, at which point we asked for a full refund. The upside to this tale is that we promptly found a wonderful little hotel 500 yards up the road , The Mariners Hotel in Silver Street. It was so nice that we stayed another night and would highly recommend it. It had old world charm, history (mentioned in one of Beatrix Potters books after a stay there) yet the rooms were modern, refurbished and comfortable. The highlight was the delicious food which can only be desecribed as fine dining and all for at least £50 less per night than the awful Alexandra Hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
#1 of 2 in Charmouth
Dorset House
Dorset House
#1 of 45 in Lyme Regis

Been to Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!