“Beautiful hotel & location”

Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Lyme Regis
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 July 2010

My husband & I stayed at the Alexandra for one night, whilst visiting River Cottage just 10 minutes away. The hotel is a beautiful building dating from the 1730's. It was elegant and tastefully decorated with a subtle contemporary feel to it. We stayed in a lovely big room, with a massive bay window overlooking the gardens of the hotel and down across the Cobb. Very comfortable bed and furnishings in the room.
We had breakfast in the morning and this was my only slight downside. The buffet selection was fairly limited and the cooked breakfast was very greasy.
Overall, we really enjoyed our one night stay. I have already recommeded it!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 July 2010

I have just returned from a weekend break in Lyme Regis with my husband, having never been before I simply searched on the internet for local hotels, The Alexandra came up and looked like a beautiful hotel. On arrival we were not disappointed, the hotel is stunning in and out. Everything about the hotel is immaculate, each room has been carefully decorated in keeping with the house but feels modern and fresh at the same time. We stayed on a Dinner, B&B rate, which I would highly recommend the food was absolutely delicious.. The grounds of the hotel are lovely aswell, at the end of the garden there is a private walkway that leads down to the harbour, and they have a great terrace area which provides lovely views out to sea and which is a nice spot to have your afternoon tea. I would recommend this to everyone i know and will definitely be returning.

Reviewed 29 June 2010

We got married at the Alexandra Hotel on my Birthday the 19th June. We had the most amazing day. The location of the hotel is that of a film set ,picture perfect. I certainly felt like the leading lady in a classic oscar winning film. The support we received from the event co-ordinator at the hotel was wonderful, from the moment we arrived and in all of the pre planning we could not have asked for more. We had 5 rooms at the Alex and all enjoyed the beautiful rooms, and wonderful breakfasts and dinner in the restaurant. Our 44 guests at the wedding were blown away by the venue and relaxed in the gardens and enjoyed a fine wedding breakfast in the restaurant. The Alexandra Hotel is 100% genuine it breathes effortless charm and class, something that cannot be faked or recreated. The hotel has grabbed our hearts and we so look forward to visiting again.

1  Thank Ringtailsomerset
Reviewed 24 June 2010

This elegant, genteel taste of old Middle England is a delight: sweeping views of Lyme Bay across the deckchair strewn croquet lawn. Splendid restaurant, pleasing staff, excellent food. Do take: a Daily Telegraph and old cricket hat. Don't take: a tattooed female (unless it's your grand-daughter the famous actress).

1  Thank abSRD
Reviewed 22 June 2010

My husband surprised me with a visit to the Alexandra for our Ruby wedding ,we had a fabulous time ,the staff were all lovely, attentive,kind and helpful ,the hotel has lots of character ,if you want something ,modern ,super shiny go somewhere else ,the foors are a bit crooked because it is old!
the view from our room was amazing ,the garden is beautiful ,we walked for miles and had a great time .
I was not wanting to be fussed over and have my crumbs swept up ,maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much .
We ate in the hotel one night ,my husband said the scallops were the best he had tasted ,the whole meal was really nice .
the breakfasts were great ,and so much!
such a shame people look for faults ,they could have had such a nice time here

Reviewed 29 May 2010

Booked for two nights. On arrival two youngish female receptionsits continued to talk amongst themselves when checking us in. Poor form. Later I observed an older receptionist who was in a different class and knew how to conduct herself. Room on top floor was a climb which we could manage but noticed some people struggling with stairs as no lift in hotel. Room 26 quite small especially with king size bed sqeezed in. Seemed fairly recently decorated but in parts badly so with paint not scraped off window panes. Woodwork had not been rubbed down properly on windows before pianting and therefore already flaking. One small hole in window frame owing to rotten wood not treated correctly. Some grouting in tiles in renovated bathroom coming loose and a few cobwebs at ceiling level. Headboard of bed backs on to headboard of bed in room 25 and wall is not sufficiently sound proofed. Could therefore hear one of the occupants in room 25 snoring during night. On first night kept awake until 1.45a.m. by some staff of hotel in their chalet accommodation at ground level but directly below our room. Tried to contact the night porter on number provided in room but no answer. I wandered aroung hotel in my dressing gown trying to find someone on duty but to no avail. In the end I was forced to shout out loudly from our bedroom window which eventually stopped staff making the din. Probably woke up other guests but had no option. Needless to say what with the disturbance and hearing the snoring from nextdoor we had virtually a sleepless night. That ruined our first day and the second day was spoiled too as we were so tired. We left the hotel feeling less relaxed than when we arrived which defeated the whole object of the exercise. The manager assured us he had taken the necessary action against staff involved and reduced our bill but we would have preferred no hassle and a pleasant relaxing break, which it was not. As to the cleanlinees of hotel it was fine superficially but my wife had to ask me to pick up a large toenail from the carpet left by a previous occupant of our room. When we made the compalint about noise a young man on reception did all he could in passing on to the manager. It was from that courteous young man on reception that we learned that our bill had been reduced. I was anxious to speak to the manager but was told he did not arrive until 9am and when I made about the third visit to reception I was told he was not available. It was only later that day that I was able to confront the manager when I saw him in the car park. As it was his staff who had ruined our stay I feel he should have sought us out earlier in a face to face situation rather than us coming across him by chance. What a pity this happened as one saving grace of hotel is the quality of food and service in resturaunt. Not enough I am afraid to prevent our stay being a complete disaster and a waste of money. A few more points on reception staff, again one of the younger females. On checking out a noticed a small charge allocated to our room for a phone call. The only call made was in trying to trace the night porter. The charge was removed but the female receptionist kept on repeating herself and asking me if I had dialled the correct number which of course I had as my wife and I checked rigorously at the time when there was no reply. As the receptionist knew the circumstance which I had explained to her I could have taken great offence but decided not to rise to the bait. She was most unprofessional. All these events represent failures on the part of management. I wonder too where the hotel stands on safety issues when the night porter is not immediately available. A rather smug hotel which charges high prices but does not deliver on all fronts.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank StroudUKWizard
Reviewed 14 May 2010

I couldn't believe my luck when I found this place to host our small wedding.
We took a reconnoitre one Sunday for lunch, and had the most gorgeous 3 course lunch at extremely reasonable cost in order to check the food out prior to booking the reception.
For the reception we hired the conservatory, which is a gorgeous place to dine overlooking Lyme Bay and the Cobb.
For our stay and the wedding itself, the staff could not have been more attentive. I can't really believe the nitpicker who compares it to Faulty Towers - and I have stayed in many hotels all over the world of varying standards and am not necessarily easily pleased!
We had a Poulette room, which had a beautiful view and was furnished to a very high standard. My brother and his young family had a family room on the ground floor, which was perfect. My grandmother had a ground floor room too, which was fine - although apparently the door was a bit stiff, and it could have done with a grab rail for the shower.
The facilities for young children are great, as there is a small play area, including a protected trampoline, climbing frame and slide.
The location is wonderful as it's a very short walk down to the centre of town, and to the Cobb.
Overall, it was a perfect location for our perfect small wedding and we intend to go back for our anniversary!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
0 mi away
Lyme Townhouse
Lyme Townhouse
#12 of 45 in Lyme Regis

Been to Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!