“Coastal Panoramic Heaven!”

Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Lyme Regis
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 September 2010

Having stayed at 'The Alex' as us regulars call it, I was really looking forward to a return visit this summer and was not disappointed.
Kathryn, who took over from her Mother a couple of years ago has done wonders with the decor of the whole hotel and my room was beautifully and tastefully furnished with wall to wall, floor to ceiling windows overlooking the sea. (Ask for Room 5 - it's not a huge room, but then who needs one? But it's breathtaking view across Lyme Bay when you wake up is amazing!).
The bed was super comfortable and as I do not sleep well when away from home, I geared myself up for a traditionally restless night.... I slept like a baby, massive king size bed and lovely linens.
The welcome was as warm as ever - the staff helpful - and the food delicious. I had dinner there with friends and the level of cuisine is elegant and interesting without being pretentious. Local food, well cooked and well presented.
Ive been there twice this summer and fully expect to return soon - it is the most delightful hotel - brilliantly situated at the top of the main street, and within 5 minutes of the lovely beaches at Lyme Regis.
I recommend it to anyone who is thinking of going to Lyme Regis - and that is a genuine recommendation.
Whether it be for a short romantic weekend, a seaside holiday, or just an escape from it all - it is one of my (if not THE) favourite hotels in the country for all the above..

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lady_Bathurst

Reviewed 7 September 2010

We really enjoyed our stay at this lovely characterful hotel, it has a homely welcoming feeling and you can tell its is family run rather than some stale corporate moneymaking venture ! as is often found these days.
The decorations are up to date without being too hard or fussy and the food was good better than we expected for the price, nice to see proper silver used as well..The room was well done decent quality furniture and clean with a powerful shower and big fluffy towels - just what you need.
Downsides only really the carpark which is really a bit small although double parking solved that one - as long as you leave your keys at reception ......
Recommend a stay to anyone looking for a quality traditional hotel

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2010

Stayed for two nights to celebrate my husband's birthday. Managed to get the last spot in the car park so that wasn't a problem for us like it was for other reviewers. Very pleasant Australian girl checked us in - our room was very sweet with lots of character but wasn't happy to find a pair of men's underpants (not my husband's!) down the side of the bed! Dirty towels left in bath were just hung back up rather than changed. Loo flush and shower temperature both temperamental. The room was also very small and overlooked the car park so we didn't get a great nights sleep as it was so noisy. Breakfast - good service and very nice, though the cold buffet was a very poor selection. We had dinner one night and that was very nice, as were the cocktails. Grounds very picturesque and tended to well. Good location too. One other thing we didn't like was kids running around the place - not what you go away for a quiet, romantic weekend for! Lyme Regis is nice, though there's not much to do if the weather's not great. We probably wouldn't stay again due to it being too noisy and not great value for money, but we had a pretty nice time.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travel1028
Reviewed 4 September 2010

The shabby chic style and the friendly guests helped to create a warm and welcoming ambiance. Unfortunately the poor service from staff rapidly dispelled this pleasure. On arrival, we went to the Conservatory for lunch. It was fine that the table contained the remains of someone else's meal (dirty plates etc). It wasn't fine that after sitting there for about fifteen minutes, no one had even noticed our presence. I had to ask at the bar for the table to be cleared and for a menu. The waiter eventually appeared and took away the plates but didn't clean the table cloth just laid our cutlery on top of the mess. The slowness and of service and the staff's indifference was painful. What seemed like ages after we'd finished, I had to again go to the bar to ask for the bill. I paid then and there as I was reluctant to waste the afternoon cajoling staff into doing their job.

In the evening I ordered a snack to our room - a cheese plate. I didn't think this would be too demanding but it took one hour to arrive.

I tried to use the internet but the wireless connection in the hallway upstairs wasn't working and the receptionist wasn't sure of the password and didn't seem too bothered. Another older woman on reception kindly offered the use of her computer. She was the one member of staff who had some idea of the meaning of customer service.

Breakfast was mediocre. They had run out of haddock. The bacon tasted as if it had been cooked in a microwave and portions were small. Again the wait was interminable. There was fresh fruit but not a lovely fresh fruit salad that most hotels of this supposed standard offer. The breakfast we had in a much cheaper B & B the following morning was far superior.

When we checked out, the transaction was casual and perfunctory. There was no comment on whether we'd enjoyed our stay or any other pleasantries (and the indifference couldn't have been aimed just at me as, at this stage, I hadn't complained - not wanting to create any tension on what was supposed to be a lovely stop-over).

The setting of the Alexandra is wonderful (as is the decoration, furniture and silver cutlery etc) and perhaps management feel this is enough to satisfy guest. But it isn't, good service is expected particularly considering the high cost of a stay there.

• Stayed: August 2010
2  Thank Chris12Brighton
Reviewed 4 September 2010

I stayed here in Sept for 1 night with my husband having found the hotel on the web and liked the look of it and the area. We ate dinner in the conservatory and this was ok, although at £80 for 2 main courses, 1 dessert and a bottle of red wine, was certainly not a cheap option.
Our room was tiny and at the top of the hotel overlooking the car park and you should look at the pictures about sloping floors before booking the hotel. Our bed was at such an angle that it was like sleeping lying up a hill. The tiny ensuite was no better and water pooled from the leaking bath/shower on the end of the slope! Also although the exercise was probably good for us, we had to carry our luggage up 2 long flights of stairs without any offer of help both checking in and checking out.
Again staff were very mixed in manner and efficency.
One other point is that breakfast ends at 9.30am on week days, which meant the morning we were there everyone in the hotel descended on the restaurant at 9.15pm so service was understandably very slow. Personally I think this is early when catering primarily for people on holiday, but I felt it was just to suit the hotel and get us out as soon as possible,
Overall I would give it a big no.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank holidayperson019
Reviewed 4 September 2010

We stayed at the hotel for four nights over the August bank holiday weekend. The hotel is clean and conveniently situated near the centre of town. Its best feature is the views over the Sea and surrounding coastline.

The room was fine except for the fact that there was hardly any ware to put our stuff. There was a small wardrobe (six Hangers each) but not draw space so we had to keep the rest of our cloths etc in our suitcases which were then in our way. The temperature control on the shower was not working and the shower temperature was uncomfortably hot.

Our main criticism was of the “award winning restaurant” we had dinner in the restaurant on one night as was required when staying over the weekend. We found the food disappointing - the amuse-bouche (usually an example of the chef’s talent) was a slice of cucumber – Sliced some time previously, with three prawns on top and some lettuce leaves on top – Tasteless. The crab dumplings tasted of uncooked flower and the deserts were tasteless the main course of Pork Loin was quite nice once it had been sent back to finish cooking.
Breakfast was even more tasteless, and was accompanied on Sunday morning by loud music blearing out from the radio in the kitchen whenever the waiting staff opened the door. Breakfast service finished at 9.30 on the Monday despite the fact that it was a bank holiday
Overall an adequate stay but not worth the premium price when compared with other hotels in the town that our friends and family were staying in.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank onemoreholiday
Reviewed 29 August 2010

I had last stayed at The Alexandra 10years ago and remembered the hotel for its great location and views..I was pleased to see that refurbishment had since taken place ..our room was clean comfortable and restful with an imaculately appointed bathroom and gorgeous sea view ..we had alovely dinner in the main restaurant and felt that the dishes were all faultless..lovely fresh seafood!
My gripes with the hotel, however were regarding the staff...there was a lack of hospitality from most though not all staff.. ( one very young man in the restaurant was charming )the staff seemed quite disinterested, fed-up and grumpy!...no one said Good morning to us when we came down in the morning no one offered us more toast or tea at breakfast and seemed as though they were only prepared to do the mimimum..when we were sitting quietly in the sitting room we could here staff on reception discussing the high turnover of staff at the hotel !...sounds like a morale issue!
Breakfast was adequate but not brilliant ..on each morning we felt that the sausages and bacon could have been a better quality..bacon actually didnt taste of anything..hope my comments are constructive..I dont want to be too negative as on balance it is a lovely hotel..just a few problems for management to look in to.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
0 mi away
Lyme Townhouse
Lyme Townhouse
#12 of 45 in Lyme Regis

Been to Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!