“Relaxing and friendly”
Review of Mariners Hotel

Mariners Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Lyme Regis
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This was our second visit to the hotel which had undergone refurbishment under the current management. Good standard in the room, nice décor throughout and very comfortable. Food was of a high standard and service very friendly. It's a little way out of the town but that's good for walking off the lovely food! Easily reached by car with the added bonus of parking opposite. Highly recommended. Will go again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gillian R

Reviewed 4 April 2014

I woke up this morning to the sound of songbirds in the garden, a few seagull calls but no traffic noise. The Mariners Hotel is right on the roadside so we asked for a room at the back, with a sea view. We were given room 12 which must be the best in the hotel for us. Smallish (and not suitable for tall people because of the low ceiling) but with views of the sea from both windows and amazingly quiet for a town centre hotel. Good car park (which is a real bonus in Lyme Regis) and good breakfasts.
Steep stairs may be a problem for those with mobility problems. (There may be a lift - we didn't ask.)

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiet and I guess that most have a sea view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank JanefromSomerset
Reviewed 2 April 2014

This hotel is in a good location, a few minutes walk uphill (not for the unfit) from Lyme Regis beach/the cobb. It has a car park accross the road. due to the age of the hotel it has low ceilings and beams so is not for the very tall (I'm 5'11'' and had to duck at times). I had a single room on the top floor. It was a quiet room, and although on the main road the windows kept most of the noise out. the staff were friendly (though it seemed understaffed). the bar lounge and gardens have a lovely view over the bay. the breakfast selection was reasonable but not dazzling, but the hot food was freshly cooked and tasty. the bar wasn't badly priced either. the downsides were that my room was clearly made up in a rush and looked a bit unfinished. it wasn't filthy but it could have been cleaner. Also, the sign in the bathroom said that the tap water was not suitable for drinking, but they only provided one small bottle of water, so that meant having to go down to the bar to get more water if needed, which was a little frustrating. It was a reasonably priced hotel though, given the location and general cost of things in Lyme, and it was clearly very popular for sunday lunch, and dinners, so i suspect the restaurant is good.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank carrotsWirral
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I had booked my wife a one day cookery experience at nearby river cottage, so decided to take the kids with us so we could make a weekend of it.
We arrived Friday evening and were given a warm welcome and shown to their family room. The room comprises of one double bed in one room and a room with twin beds in for the kids, sharing one bathroom. It was very comfortable and clean.
Breakfast on Saturday began at 8.30 an we had to be at river cottage(5miles away) at 9.30am so it was going to be tight. I mentioned this to the girl on reception who said "no problem I will get the chef in early, come down at 8am. Excellent !

The morning breakfast was very nice. We had a meal in their restaurant in the evening which was also lovely, be it a tad pricey.

I would certainly stop again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We booked a Sunday evening meal at this hotel, to be fair to them they are one of the few restaurants open this time of the year on a Sunday,The receptionist(in the evening) who turned out to be the master of many guises and I think was scottish was an example of industry and so much more and because of her we have upgraded this experience o very god witgout her input, nfortunately would be average. They did try hard however, we were seated in a lounge area, and invited to our table after our order was taken and starters were ready to be served, I had the the seafood main course which although well cooked I thought was over priced and unfortunately the fish cooked was not fresh fish but supermarket quality. The blond svelte lady who I have previously eluded to was the highlight for us althought the food was well cooked and I would recommend,. she was definately the star of the show and I would willingly eat at any restaurant she was employed at, as I know I (we) would be well looked after.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bobe17
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We went to Friday night steak night and were not disappointed. Scallops and prawns for starters, which were cooked to perfection, followed by steaks which were perfectly cooked and accompanied by sides that were really good. I think the chef has a real talent and will go far. I haven't had a steak that well cooked for years....well done. Definitely try some of the other wares on offer. The staff were all really friendly too.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Spent a lovely couple of hours at this charming hotel in Lyme Regis. The sunday roast was excellent. Cooked to perfection and lots of choice of potatoes and veggies. Done with style, all freshly cooked and attractively served, not like the ping ping brigade. All for under a tenner.
The puddings very also lovely and yummy and fresh.
The surroundings were a nice mixture of old and new, with a lovely garden and superb views across lyme bay. It was also nice to find a nice loo, clean and tidy with hand cream as well as hand wash….lovely.
The good weather also helped.
I would highly recommend this little gem, yes you are going to pay a bit more, but it is worth it.
The staff are lovely and nothing is to much trouble.
Definitely going back…. steak nite on friday, here we come.

Room Tip: We didn't stay but there is a room that over looks the garden and sea view and if I were to stay...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
#10 of 45 in Lyme Regis
Dorset House
Dorset House
#2 of 45 in Lyme Regis

Been to Mariners Hotel? Share your experiences!