Mariners Hotel
The George Inn(Chardstock)
US$114
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
All reviewscar parksea viewsteep hillold buildingexcellent restaurantpretty gardenlovely hotelrooms were very cleanfull englishsmall hotelnight breakcomfortable loungestayed one nighttown centresingle roomnice roombreakfast was excellent
Reviewed 20 August 2010

After being let down by sun4 U the day before trip, we travelled to lyme to drown our sorrows,as we are constant visitors here, we could not get into our usual b and b as fully booked, so were very grateful to be accomodated., friendly manager.
I cannot fault the service the bar staff especially Lynne with her bubbly personality, she was brilliant! her partner is one of the chefs and a fine one too the food was excellent.
the room comfortable and cosy and I slept like a log which is unusual for me when away.
the view from the garden was a lovely surprise, so a relaxing drink in the graden looking at the sea view was the perfect medicine for us under the circumstances.
I would recomend this hotel to anyone and hope to go back soon.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2010

We dined at The Mariners every night of our holiday. We had been there last year and found the food to be very good. Although we opted to dine in the bar we were invited to have our pre-dinner drinks in the lounge. There is also a lovely garden area at the rear of the hotel (overlooking Lyme Regis), where you could have a drink or dine alfresco if the weather was good. Although we have not stayed in the hotel we found the meals there to be good value for money served by a friendly, efficient and attentive staff. We hope to return again soon.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2010

very relaxing stay - room was spotless - food was very high quality - staff very friendly - would highly recommend this hotel

Reviewed 1 August 2010

We had a weekend in Lyme regis, we are regular visitors to Lyme. The room we were given was room 1, a very pleasant room with ensuite and a seaview with steps off the terrace down into the enclosed garden - excellent.

On retiring we pulled the duvet back and discovered that the bed hadn't been made and there were stains on the duvet and sheet which looked like blood. I contacted reception who came immediately to look and changed the sheet and duvet and were very apologetic.

The following morning I went down to breakfast and my wife stayed in bed on my return she got up to use the shower but there was no hot water left in the system after a few minutes wait and no warm water I went down to reception and asked if there was anyhting that could be done, I was told that the boiler would heat the water and that it should be 5 minutes. After approx 15 minutes still no hot water all in all this went on for 45 minutes, in the end we had to ask for another room for my wife to take a shower in.

1  Thank glbb
Reviewed 18 July 2010

A small friendly hotel up the hill in Lyme Regis with great views from some of bedrooms - ours was number 9 and we could see the sea, coast line, and on a clear day Portland Bill. The bonus of this hotel is the food - well done to the kitchen staff I hope they stay! Breakfast and dinner were all individually prepared with excellent ingredients, the menu was imaginative and varied - even if I wasn't staying here I would go just to eat.

Everyone in the hotel was friendly and helpful, and whilst the building was old I think there had been a lot of refurbishment recently, certainly our bathroom had a brand new large shower cubicle and all the furniture and furnishings throughout were quite new. There was a bonus of the garden which was sheltered from any wind, and drinks and eats could be taken out there.

There were only two drawbacks - one, our bedroom curtains were so thin that they offered no protection from the early morning sun that streamed through. I took an eye mask, but I would suggest the hotel could install roller blinds behind the curtains for guests to use if wanted. The second one is nothing the hotel can do anything about, and that is the noise of the seagulls in the morning! All I can suggest is ear plugs!