“Stunning!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Mill Cafe and Supper Club - CLOSED

The Mill Cafe and Supper Club
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: Cafe and Supper Club with outside seating in the oldest part of Lyme Regis
London, United Kingdom
“Stunning!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

This is an incredible place, so much so I felt the need to write a blog...

"Lyme Regis is maybe better known for its Jurassic Coastline and Cobb than dining venues (tea and scones aside). Last weekend though, was a revelation. The Mill Café and Supper Club is a cosy, homely venue tucked away in a little courtyard sitting beside the River Lym, and run by some of the friendliest people on earth. Raining, as it would be in June, we carefully navigated the steep cobbled streets only diverting once for a seamless pint of Tribute - with a fat seagull squawking overhead it suddenly felt all very Broadchurch..

We were welcomed with a smile and immediately offered an aperitif - Kir (Italian white wine and homemade blackcurrant nectar), Bellini or Campari and Orange – perfect. There is no fuss here, wooden table with a candle -you just sit down, feel very relaxed and let the food come. The Supper Club works on a set menu designed by the Milan born wizard in the kitchen, Stefano. It was £24 for four mind blowing dishes, and every single thing that came out was nothing but exceptional.

First out was the Crab Crostini and Broad Bean Crostini (pictured below), this genuinely ignited a serious discussion as to which was better. The lemon and basil risotto was immensely zingy with a perfect bite – it was one of those risottos that plays mind games, how can something so simple deliver such flavour? Meatballs were immense and succulent, nestling in a bath of melting tomato sauce, the beef of course sourced from a local farm. It was the salad that was something else, again, leaves from a local source (Trill Farm) but these are prepared with serious attention– soaked for 20 minutes, turned slowly to dry and dressed with lemon, oil, salt and love. All with home baked bread on the side.

Although I felt like a heathen in such an Italian environment, we enjoyed a bottle of Pichon Baron 1997 which I was kindly allowed to bring along. Anyone who guides their Bordeaux drinking solely on Parker points should give this a crack and regroup. With all of its 86 point score it was singing from the rafters, beautiful classic Pauillac drinking perfectly. We did also try a glass of the house Barbaresco which was very tasty, and weighed in at £28 a bottle!

A coffee semifreddo and Almond Tartlet sealed the deal – two very content diners that struggled to get back up that cobbled hill. If you are ever anywhere near Lyme, the Mill Café is a must, we went back for lunch the next day…enough said!"

“Quaint Hideaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013 via mobile

My mum and I travelled to Lyme on my birthday to have a nice day out. We had both been recommended by friends to try this place for a spot of lunch, as well as an evening meal and we were so glad we did. We were just in time before lunch had stopped for the day, and managed to order a crab sandwich for myself and the soup of the day for my mum. We had a lovely caffetiere of coffee and looked out onto the stream running below the window. The cafe had a lovely atmosphere about it that was cosy and warming. You could really picture a candlelit evening here. Our food arrived and looked beautiful, my crab sandwich was served on little slices of homemade bread with gherkins, capers, lemon, and dill all running through the mixture. It certainly delivered the wow factor in taste. My mum had a very tasty soup of courgette, tomato and parmesan. That too was served with homemade bread. We finished our lunch with a delicious homemade cake of blueberry and almond. The perfect end to a lovely lunch.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Lauren J
Wincanton, United Kingdom
“Hidden courtyard gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

Simple Italian food well executed. Friendly relaxed atmosphere. We chose an English Chardonnay wine from the local Furleigh estate to accompany our meal, thoroughly enjoyed.

Visited June 2013
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A special space”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

For me the space you sit in is very important to the enjoyment of a meal and this space, with its outside courtyard and garden and lovely inside area with the river running alongside, is a very special space. We had been recommended to go here by friends and in turn I recommend it to others. Relaxed, friendly atmosphere with well-priced excellent food.

London
“Simple food, expertly prepared- delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

This place is a gem. As a professional cook myself, I like unpretentious food made with decent ingredients, love and expertise, and that is just what you will find in this small, friendly and atmospheric restaurant. The fixed-price, no-choice 4 course menu was only £24 each, and the most expensive wine (an excellent Barbaresco) was well under £30. So- lovely food, great value for money, charming service- I can see why the locals like it so much. If I lived in Lyme Regis I'd be in there all the time!